Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

Guest Nyed
11 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

That list is only applicable to the DR sphere system. If you use the DR system, DR kits get those spheres. If you use the FnP sphere system, DR kits get a selection of FnP spheres. Deity spheres in FnP are described here

It didn’t work before because they both use the same system to track spell slots. But I modified them to use two different stars to track slots. So I think you can do it now. (I haven’t actually played it through the game, though.)

Sounds amazing... Thanks, will probably try it :)

I'm trying to plan out what components to use with this mod, so of course I have some questions.

1. There are several kits that have the same name as kits in Divine Remix, but the list in the OP doesn't denote them as being part of Divine Remix v8.  Should these kits be denoted as coming from Divine Remix, or are they new creations of Faiths & Powers?  Examples are Painbearer of Ilmater, Heartwarder of Sune, and the Battleguard of Tempus,.
  2. Based on the list in the OP, Faiths & Powers adds a cleric kit called the Hammer of Moradin as well as paladin kit with the same name.  Is this intentional, or is this just a typo and I should be looking at the .tp2 file to figure out what components are actually in the mod?
  3. The Truesword of Arvoreen and an item that looks like it is used to give it to Mazzy has the following text

@87712  = ~Change Class

Use this scroll to change Mazzy to a Truesword - a Champion of Arvoreen.

TRUESWORD OF ARVOREEN: blah fluff

Advantages:
    - Trueswords can use the Move Silently and Hide In Shadows abilities, as a ranger of the same level.
    - From 1st level, a Truesword can increase <PRO_HISHER> Strength to 18/00 (or higher, if it is 18 already) once per day.
    - From 5th level, a Truesword can heal with a touch, similar to the Lay On Hands Power of paladins.
    - From 9th level, a Truesword can use a personal version of the Haste spell, increasing movement and physical attacks per round for one round/level.

Restrictions:
    - Cannot Turn undead.
    - Alignment: Good and/or Neutral.
    ~

Does the blah fluff part need to be updated, or is it text that is never seen?  Note that @87703 has the same blah fluff in it.  If you need some fluff, then you could use the following adapted from Demi-human deities (2nd edition) (pages 199 and 200).

Arvoreen the Defender, fiery guardian of the home, is the nearest thing to a halfling war god. He is a god of stern defense and aggressive watchfulness, who is always preparing for incursions into halfling lands and making ready to repulse hostile creatures at the first sign of trouble.

Trueswords of Arvoreen are the protectors and defenders of halfling communities. They spend their days constructing defensive barriers, signaling systems, beacons, and traps, and reviewing defenses already in place.  While many Trueswords stay close to their communities, some will adventure to gain allies they can call on as well as magical weapons and defensive items of all kinds.

And a second set of questions, going off the OP.

1. Are the following kits clones/new kit entries at character select, or updates of the ones in the base game? Watcher of Helm, Dawnbringer of Lathander, Stormbringer of Talos, Totemic Druid, Hivekeeper (replaces or is as well as the Avenger), Beastmaster, Stalker.
  2. Placeholder question asked in the Might & Guile thread about the components that affect or overlap with this and that mod: Beastmaster/Revised Beastmaster, Barbarian Ranger, Archer Ranger/Improved Archery, Elven Archer, Stalker/Revised Stalker, Mage Hunter.
  3. Any clue regarding Improved Shamanic Dance and your mod?  The readme of that mod says to install after any Shaman kits, which I would take to mean I should install it after your multiclass shaman kits, but I'm curious if anyone has experience running both mods.

Browsing though the .tra there appears to be a number of kit entries with placeholder text.  Is this something you'd like help with (consider this an offer if you are interested), or something you are working on still on your own?

8 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Any clue regarding Improved Shamanic Dance and your mod?  The readme of that mod says to install after any Shaman kits, which I would take to mean I should install it after your multiclass shaman kits, but I'm curious if anyone has experience running both mods.

Hmm, I have it, but installed before FnP, which may be a mistake. I haven't yet played a shaman (or made it to SoD) so I can't comment on compatibility. I'll let you know what I find when I do.

Improved Shamanic Dance: must be before FnP. Or maybe before FnP Multiclass? I forget. I think my recreated Shaman Dance toggleable innate ability reflects the presence of that mod, giving you either zero movement or 1/2 movement. (My multiclass shamans are technically not “shaman” kits, so this technically abides by ISD’s advice.) Thus, install it before FnP. So: other shaman kits -> ISD -> FnP.

Placeholder fluff text: make sure you’re looking at the latest version of the .tra, I filled in a bunch recently with help from @4udr4n. But if there is still some needing descriptions then sure, we’ll happily accept help and/or suggestions. 

Overlap MnG kits: they should be identical, but if by chance they are not, the FnP version is likely better. Happily FnP should be installed first, and MnG will defer if they are already there. I tried to require as little thinking as possible - if you want to install them, install them. 

Vanilla kits: not sure I understand the question. Sometimes they change the base kit, sometimes they suppress the base kit and add a new one in its place. For the player, they appear as modified versions. 

DR kits: we’re all using the same base material here, about 4-6 2E and 3E sourcebooks. So sometimes we end up using the same name for a kit, but they are all original kits - we don’t use DR kits. But we do account for them and make them compatible, and yes, if you install everything from both mods there will be a few kits with the same name. You can have them all in-game and choose which you prefer when playing, or you can choose which you orefer when installing. Up to you. 

For Faiths & Powers I grabbed version 79sd12 and there's some placeholder text here still.  I'll try to fill what I can in, although for some I'll need some help.  These line references are from setup.tra

1. @20803. There should be an extra carriage return after the fluff and before "Advantages"
  2. @31403. There's missing fluff text.  Consider using the following:

Priests of Ilmater are often itinerant, traveling the land looking to assuage suffering wherever it may exist. They stick to their cause if they believe it is right, whatever the pain and peril.  They strive to stand up to all tyrants, resisting in ways both great and small.  They find no shame in a meaningful death.  Their dogma can be summarized as "Today is the first day in what's left of your life.  So live it well."

3. @37303.  The Advantages section is incomplete.  The last entry says "From 9th level, ..."
  4. @40501-40503.  Is this a sorcerer?  Right now the advantages say "cast like a sorcerer, etc." and the restrictions say "May not use divine magic" and "progresses as a sorcerer in hit points and thac0".  This sounds like it is just a sorcerer.   If it is something more let me know so I can help flesh out the mechanical advantages and restrictions, after which I can create some fluff text.  Note that the earlier entry had the following information about generic Incarnates

Often called, "Chosen", Incarnates are 'natural' priests, with little or no connection to any church hierarchy. It is less true to say that they choose their deity than they are 'chosen' by a given deity (whether they like it or not) for their temperament, and natural connection to divine magic. Often peasants, they typically have few skills or other special training.

But I don't think this is quite what you were looking to present.

5. @49212.  There is text saying "Dimension Door Fluff".  If you want the fluff for the 2e Wind Walk spell, see the following

This spell enables the pries and possibly one or two other persons, to alter the substance of their body to a cloudlike vapor. A magical wind then wafts the priest along at a movement rate of 60, or as slow as 6, as the spellcaster wills. The wind walk spell lasts as long as the priest desires, up to a maximum duration of six turns (one hour) per experience level of the caster. For every 8 levels of experience the priest has attained, up to 24, he or she is able to touch another person and carry that person, or those persons, along on the wind walk. Those wind walking are not invisible, but rather appear misty and translucent. If fully clothed in white, they are 80% likely to be mistaken for clouds, fog, vapors, etc. The priest can regain his physical form as desired, each change to and from vaporous form requiring five rounds. While in vaporous form, the priest and companions can be hit only by magic or magical weaponry, though they may be subject to high winds at the DMs discretion. No spellcasting is possible in vaporous form.

The material components are fire and pure water.

6. @70004.  "MYSTIC: fluff about archetype/class, and choose a kit".  I'd suggest stealing your blurb about the mystic kits from the OP

Mystics, which are focused on magic relating to the elements. Like Zealots, Mystics are fundamentally differentiated by their spell access.

7. @70023. "DRUID: fluff about archetype/class, and choose a kit".  I don't have it at hand, but I'd just use the default kit selection dialogue for druids.
  8. @70033. "OCCULTIST: fluff about archetype/class, and choose a kit."  Needs to be filled in, but the documentation I have access to doesn't explain what these kits are.
  9. @73503. Northern Druid is called Arctic Druid in the descriptive text and the //commented text.  It looks like the name was changed, but not all the "arctic" references got replaced by "northern".  Needs a find/replace with whatever terminology you choose to use.
  10. @73803.  The Shadow Druid description text for the Shadow Wolf and Panther are incomplete.  Needs mechanical benefits described.  Is this the group that Faldorn belongs to?  If so, consider using the following for their descriptive fluff

Shadow druids are a militant sect of druids who believe that there is a long and endless struggle between civilization and nature and that their role is to even the odds for nature.  They have been known to use extreme methods and violence to drive away civilization, using the ferocious powers of nature they are capable of summoning.

11. @80010 & @80014 . Suggest changing first sentence to "Zealots are strong devotees to a particular god, without actually being an official part of the church hierarchy."
  12. @80703. "HAMMER OF MORADIN" is missing the fluff text before the advantage/disadvantage section.  Consider using this text from Demi-Human Deities:

The Hammers of Moradin are an elite military order with chapters in nearly every dwarven stronghold and members drawn from every dwarven clan. The Hammers serve both as commanders of dwarven armies and as an elite strike force skilled in dealing with anything from large groups of orcs to great wyrms to malevolent fiends from the Lower Planes.  The order is dedicated to the defense of existing dwarven holdings and the carving out of new dwarven territories.

13. Note that you had used the following text for @37103:

HAMMER OF MORADIN: Moradin is the chief deity or the dwarven pantheon; a harsh but fair judge, he is strength and force of will embodied. The Hammers of Moradin are a military order dedicated to the defense dwarven holdings and the carving out of new dwarven territories.

I'm not completely clear on which one is which, though I think @37103 is for clerics and @80703 is for paladins.  For the specialty priest you could instead use "Sonnlinor" which is the name for Moradin's specialty priests in Demi-Human Deities.   To provide unique text for the specialties priests, you might want to use

SONNLINOR OF MORADIN: Sonnlinor are the specialty priests of Moradin, the Soul Forger, the chief deity or the dwarven pantheon.  A harsh but fair judge, he is strength and force of will embodied.  His priests strive to restore the dwarven races to strong numbers and a position of influence in Faerun.  They believe that wisdom is derived from life tempered with experience and that they have an important role to lead the stout folk in the traditional ways laid down by the Soul Forger.

@80803. "INQUISITOR OF AZUTH: As the patron of wizards, and conscious of the potential destruction that magic can visit on the world, Azuth ... Controlly control".  I suggest grabbing some or all of the following text to complete the fluff. Replace with

14. Quote

Followers of Azuth feel that reason is the best way to approach magic, and that it may be examined and reduced to its component parts through study and meditation.  Calm and caution are the watchwords of Azuthan clergy members as they strive to avoid mistakes that even magic cannot undo.  Unfortunately, not all practitioners of the art take such care or approach magical power with responsibility and that is where Inquistors of Azuth fit in.  This holy order of the Lord of Spells strive to curb the use of overly destructive magic that harms the Weave and provide martial might where it is needed to destroy threats to wizardry.

15. @86903. Missing flavour text.  Suggest using text in the format used by Cherub of the Ruby Rose.

Zealots dedicated to the service of Mystra, weaveragers seek out evil magic users and seek to bring about their downfall.

Note that there are references to the generic "Zealot of Mystra in the restriction text as well as in the @86905 entry for Weaverage.

16. @87703. See my earlier comment regarding possible fluff for the Truesword of Arvoreen.

17. @93303.  Earth Dervish.  Suggest using the following flavour text

Earth Dervishes are the earth element imbued ranger counterpart to the druidic earth mystic.  They are capable of calling on their chosen element to bolster their defenses and empower their attacks.

18. @93403.  Water Dervish.  Suggest using the following flavour text

Water Dervishes are the water element imbued ranger counterpart to the druidic water mystic.  They are capable of calling on their chosen element to bolster their defenses and empower their attacks.

19. @93503.  Air Dervish.  Suggest using the following flavour text

Air Dervishes are the air element imbued ranger counterpart to the druidic air mystic.  They are capable of calling on their chosen element to bolster their defenses and empower their attacks.

20. @93603.  Fire Dervish.  Suggest using the following flavour text

Fire Dervishes are the fire element imbued ranger counterpart to the druidic fire mystic.  They are capable of calling on their chosen element to bolster their defenses and empower their attacks.

21. @93803. Light Dervish.  Suggest using the following flavour text

Light Dervishes are the light empowered ranger counterpart to the druidic light mystic.  They are capable of calling on their chosen specialty to bolster their defenses and empower their attacks.

22. @93804. Shadow Dervish.  The descriptive entries for this kit are missing (I'm not sure if the kit actually exists.  Add the other variations needed for the name and include a kit description with the advantages/disadvantages/restrictions.  Suggest using the following flavour text

Shadow Dervishes are the shadow empowered ranger counterpart to the druidic shadow mystic.  They are capable of calling on their chosen specialty to bolster their defenses and empower their attacks.

Guest phlaphee

I think there are a few wrong entries in Kitlist when it comes to Arvoreen Paladin Kit (also, why do I have the kit listed for Rangers (12) as well?!):

105                   D5_CHAMP_ARVOREEN     387951                387952                387953                D5RNARV               126                   0x00004000            12                    0x00004069
106                   D5_ZCHAMP_ARVOREEN    387955                387956                387957                D5ZZARV               127                   0x04000000            6                     0x0000406a

The bolded entries seem to correspond to Gruu Paladin Kit:

120                   B_ZEALOT_GRUU_2       387955                387956                387957                B_ZGRUU               141                   0x02000000            6                     0x00004078

On 1/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, Gwaihir said:

You mean like this?

Reveal hidden contents

[WeiDU-FileChangelog.exe] WeiDU version 24500

Mods affecting LI#DRWAT.SPL:
00000: /* created or unbiffed */ ~FAITHS_AND_POWERS/FAITHS_AND_POWERS.TP2~ 0 80 // Apply sphere system0.79.3
00001:  ~ATWEAKS/SETUP-ATWEAKS.TP2~ 0 203 // Make druidic shapeshifting uninterruptablev4.53
00002:  ~KLATU/SETUP-KLATU.TP2~ 0 2110 // Treat all Innate Abilities as Non-Magical (Unaffected by Wild/Dead Magic and Silence)1.7

Also,  now that I think about it, making all innate abilities unaffected by silence/wild magic would make quite a lot of subtledoctor's kits very op (I think)... maybe I should delete that component 😆

So, after reading through this thread seems I've done a few things I technically shouldn't have. I haven't played BG in AGES so I used Roxanne's EET installer but so far things seem to be OK. Let me get to a point again where I even vaguely think I know what I'm doing mod install wise and I'll see about going back to manually installing things. What I'm primarily concerned about is I also used the "Make druidic shapeshifting uninterruptible" component from aTweaks and the "Treat all innate abilities as Non-Magical" component from Klatu. Is there a simple way to remove those at this point? Was hoping it would simply be a matter of text editing but that doesn't appear to be the case. I also did a cursory look for removing components thru Weidu but nothing leapt out at me solution wise. 

Excellent work btw! Really love what's being done here. And thank you in advance kind lords and ladies for any assistance.

For the Revised Usability and Proficiency System, does the install order of this matter relative to other mods like CDTweaks that also adjust item usability?  I seem to recall the recommendation that CDTweaks be installed after Faiths & Powers, but before SCS Balance, but I'm wondering if proficiency adjustments like these should be treated like tweaks to spell tables (which recommendations seem to suggest should be done before installing large kit mods like Faiths & Powers or Tome & Blood).

On 5/23/2020 at 4:58 AM, subtledoctor said:

Overlap MnG kits: they should be identical, but if by chance they are not, the FnP version is likely better. Happily FnP should be installed first, and MnG will defer if they are already there. I tried to require as little thinking as possible - if you want to install them, install them.

One thing to note, is that since Will to Power is recommended to be installed after FnP, but before MnG, the MnG versions of the overlapping kits appear to take advantage of the Will to Power adjustments, but it's not clear from my reading if Will to Power makes the same type of adjustments if the kits were installed via FnP first.  I realize that this complex install order is entirely my fault.

Another question.  Does Faiths & Powers make any adjustments to how shapeshifting is handled mechanically, like CDTweaks, Refinements, and SCS all have their own shapeshifting rebalance/tweak/fix?  I see that there are additional shapeshifting forms available, and every modder seems to like to make their own version of the shapeshifting fixes, so I figured I'd ask.

Edited by Caedwyr
11 hours ago, Guest phlaphee said:

wrong entries in Kitlist when it comes to Arvoreen Paladin Kit (also, why do I have the kit listed for Rangers (12) as well?

Huh. Yeah, that somehow gave the Gruumsh string(s) to the Arvoreen kit. Confirmed in my current install. As for the cloned kit: the “paladin” of Arvoreen cannot turn undead, but can hide in shadows. So mechanically, when you play that kit it pops you over into the ranger class, to give you the proper GUI. One kit for the menus, another for gameplay, but it’s actually the same thing. 

8 hours ago, MrEnnigma2 said:

What I'm primarily concerned about is I also used the "Make druidic shapeshifting uninterruptible" component from aTweaks and the "Treat all innate abilities as Non-Magical" component from Klatu. Is there a simple way to remove those at this point?

Don’t worry about the druid one. But you probably want to get rid of that klatu component. You should be able to run the klatu installer manually and uninstall that one component. But I don’t know how @Roxanne set up her version of BWS, how feasible that is. Should probably ask her. 

3 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

For the Revised Usability and Proficiency System, does the install order of this matter relative to other mods like CDTweaks that also adjust item usability?

Hard to say without more specificity. Don’t install myltiple mods that obviously cover the same ground. (Don’t install CDTweaks’ or IR’s “more weapons usable by clerics” components.) If you have something specific in mind, I might be able to give you specific guidance. 

since Will to Power is recommended to be installed after FnP, but before MnG, the MnG versions of the overlapping kits appear to take advantage of the Will to Power adjustments, but it's not clear from my reading if Will to Power makes the same type of adjustments if the kits were installed via FnP first.

WtP modifies all kits installed before it; MnG kits only need to manually add the “check for wild talent” ability because they come after WtP and thus cannot be modified by it. Since FnP expects to be installed before WtP, that’s not necessary; FnP kits will automatically get the ability. 

Does Faiths & Powers make any adjustments to how shapeshifting is handled mechanically, like CDTweaks, Refinements, and SCS all have their own shapeshifting rebalance/tweak/fix?  I see that there are additional shapeshifting forms available, and every modder seems to like to make their own version of the shapeshifting fixes

FnP Druids sidelines the vanilla shapeshift abilities altogether; there is no need to fix them because they are unused. FnP creates its own abilities for every single shapeshift form (and there are like 25 different shapeshift forms). The exceptions are HLA elemental forms: those are more or less the same as what you find in Refinements. But for pre-HLA druid shapeshifting, don’t bother with any “fixes” or improvements from other mods - they don’t take FnP shapeshifting into account. 

23 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Hard to say without more specificity. Don’t install multiple mods that obviously cover the same ground. (Don’t install CDTweaks’ or IR’s “more weapons usable by clerics” components.) If you have something specific in mind, I might be able to give you specific guidance.

The components I am wondering about are the following:

1. Refinements v4.26.  Universal Lesser Mage Robes
  2. Faith & Powers v4.5.2 Revised Usability and Proficiency System
  3. The Tweaks Anthology v9. Universal Clubs, Wear Multiple Protection Items
  4. Scales of Balance v5.23. Weapon Proficiency Overhaul, Weapon Category Combination, Fighting Style Overhaul.

It looks like I already tried to avoid most of the conceptual incompatibilities, so it is more a matter of if Faiths & Powers plays nice with Scales of Balance, plus the minor components of Refinements and Tweaks Anthology.

My only concern there would be “universal clubs.” It’s probably fine, but I haven’t tested to be certain. 

The SoB stuff has specific checks to make it work properly with FnP. There could be bugs of course, but I haven’t noticed any and none have been reported by others. 

Thanks doc for your reply! I hadn't gotten very far in my game so I'm just going to do a fresh install of everything. Besides I find myself wanting to add a few things and take away a few others even after the brief time I've been playing with my current build. Your multi-class options in-particular have really grown on me. Gonna be a process but I enjoy it...which, I suppose, speaks to my mental state 😆