Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

7 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I actually don’t think so, because you don’t trigger that spell from the inventory. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the item description - how the engine auto-generates kit/class exclusion info. Maybe that interacts with opcode 181 in some way that the 2.5 engine did not. Maybe? 

I don't know if it means anything but every time you look at an item it must presumable trigger a passive lore check to identify it? 

Guest Auspicious Carp

I've also had the lock up happen when accessing the character page. Wanted to look at my proficiencies and BAM crash

🤔

Is there any way to view all the details of the various kits? If you want to play a Darksong Knight you find them under "Paladin" but if you open the save in EE Keeper it's classed as a Ranger. I'm just wondering what their spell casting stat is, I thought it would be charisma since they're a kit under paladin but the game actually seems to class it as a ranger instead.

16 minutes ago, Gespenst said:

🤔

Is there any way to view all the details of the various kits? If you want to play a Darksong Knight you find them under "Paladin" but if you open the save in EE Keeper it's classed as a Ranger. I'm just wondering what their spell casting stat is, I thought it would be charisma since they're a kit under paladin but the game actually seems to class it as a ranger instead.

Sorry @Gespenst

That's never been clear.  Certain 'kits' use different UIs, like the hide ability.  We cannot normally add the hide button to the Paladin**, so what we do is create two versions of the class.  In this case*, we made a paladin version and a ranger version.  The paladin version is only for initial selection, to give the aesthetic that the class is a 'Paladin' class.  However, that class switches to a ranger kit as soon as the game starts, and it is this 'ranger' version that you are actually playing.  

* I think we've only done this with paladin/ranger

** This may change in the near future...

Edited by Grammarsalad
1 hour ago, Gespenst said:

I'm just wondering what their spell casting stat is, I thought it would be charisma since they're a kit under paladin but the game actually seems to class it as a ranger instead.

At any rate this is still 2E: neither paladins nor rangers have a “spellcasting stat.” With this mod they both can cast the same number of spells; and which spells they get access to is dependent on their spheres, not the class. They both represent warriors with some access to divine magic; the only difference is in their kit abilities, their sphere access, and that some can use stealth while some can turn undead. 

Edited by subtledoctor

Incidentally, if anyone with 2.6 has time and inclination, the first obvious thing to check is whether the inventory bug happens 1) when the item usability component is installed, and 2) when the item usability component is not installed. That’s an obvious way to narrow down the issue, and give players a way to use 90% of the mod while waiting for a fix. 

On 5/5/2021 at 4:39 PM, subtledoctor said:

Incidentally, if anyone with 2.6 has time and inclination, the first obvious thing to check is whether the inventory bug happens 1) when the item usability component is installed, and 2) when the item usability component is not installed. That’s an obvious way to narrow down the issue, and give players a way to use 90% of the mod while waiting for a fix. 

I just tried it out with BG2 EE, (2.6.5, GOG version) with just the single class kits and without the weapon usability and proficiency component (from Faiths & Powers v0.79.24) and right clicking on items in the inventory caused the game to completely lock up the same as it did with that component. 

Iiiinteresting. That narrows things down in the other direction - unfortunately. 

The next obvious way to narrow it down further would be to try 1) the sphere system but no new kits at all vs. 2) no sphere system, but all the single-class kits. 

It could conceivably be something about the new spells; or something about the way the kits are coded. (Maybe the fl#add_kit_ee function needs to be updated for 2.6?)

5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Iiiinteresting. That narrows things down in the other direction - unfortunately. 

The next obvious way to narrow it down further would be to try 1) the sphere system but no new kits at all vs. 2) no sphere system, but all the single-class kits. 

It could conceivably be something about the new spells; or something about the way the kits are coded. (Maybe the fl#add_kit_ee function needs to be updated for 2.6?)

Ok, here we go. 

So installing 1] FNP: The faith's and Powers Original Sphere System and 2] AD&D: a more traditional PnP-Style Sphere System with no kits both makes the game lock up as before.

Installing 3] None: No Sphere System and all the single class kit options does not crash the game.

Installing 3] None: No Sphere System and all the single class kit options and the items option does not crash the game.

Thank you! So the 2.6 inventory system doesn’t like something about the sphere system itself. That’s extremely helpful to know. 

Of course, off the top of my head I have no idea why the sphere system might interact with the inventory screen. This is not like an interaction with another mod, where I can look at what the mod does; Beamdog changed the source code of the game itself. It would be helpful if they explained somewhere what changes they made to the inventory screen, but apparently Beamdog isn’t into that sort of thing...

I also noticed after the install it reclassified everything in eekeeper. Halberts were showing as longswords, and clubs were listed in different item types, etc. Completely made it impossible to navigate items and actually find what I was looking for.

8 hours ago, morpheus562 said:

I also noticed after the install it reclassified everything in eekeeper. Halberts were showing as longswords, and clubs were listed in different item types, etc. Completely made it impossible to navigate items and actually find what I was looking for.

Oh. I wondered about that, on the previous patch bastard swords are listed as maces as well...

There are other ones but I don't remember what they all are.

Edited by Gespenst

Okay, I finally managed to nail down the inventory screen crash bug: we were using a UI modification to allow the vanilla identification process work with a divine spell in addition to the usual arcane spell. This allowed clerics to cast 'Identify' in the same way as vanilla mages. But the method used to enable it apparently no longer works in EE v2.6.

Since I didn't implement it and don't remember how it was done, I ultimately just ripped it out, and instead I have added a new 2nd-level spell, "Legend Lore," (real original, I know ;)) to the knowledge sphere. This new spell is identical to the 'Revised Identify' spell from Tome & Blood: you have to cast the spell in the main screen instead of right-clicking in the inventory... and it will let you identify more than one item with each casting: two items at level 5, three items at level 9, and four items at level 13.

Version 0.79.25, which can now be used with the EE 2.6 patch, can be found here.  Cheers.