Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

On 10/16/2022 at 6:28 AM, Quester said:

In my recent game I found the 2nd lvl divine spell Spider Swarm to be a little too strong.

Ha ha, so I finally got around to really examining this, and apparently these critters were using the summoned sword spider's weapon (4 APR, 2d6 damage, poison for 15. hit points over 5 rounds). Oh and their natural thac0 was 10.  :jump: Okay yeah that's no appropriate. I am reducing them to thac0 16, 1 APR, 1d2 damage with a chance of delivering poison that does 4 points over 2 rounds. They are supposed to be distractions, not predators.  :laugh:

6 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Ha ha, so I finally got around to really examining this, and apparently these critters were using the summoned sword spider's weapon (4 APR, 2d6 damage, poison for 15. hit points over 5 rounds). Oh and their natural thac0 was 10.  :jump: Okay yeah that's no appropriate. I am reducing them to thac0 16, 1 APR, 1d2 damage with a chance of delivering poison that does 4 points over 2 rounds. They are supposed to be distractions, not predators.  :laugh:

Woah, isn't that a bit too extreme of a nerf? With those stats I would move it to level 1.

At least let them have 2 APR? They are still going to hit much less than before, with the much reduced Thac0.

I mean, they are supposed to be quite fragile. The idea of the Beetle Swarm is not that the beetles are any good in combat, it's just that you can summon a swarm of them. (I'm pretty sure I exempted these two spells from the usual summoning cap.) Five little bugs around an enemy means that enemy needs to waste five attacks to get through them and start focusing on you. The idea of the spider swarm spell is that these spiders are no more powerful than the beetles... but they move faster and they can deliver poison. Even a poison that only does 4 points of damage, that is a poison that has a good chance  of interrupting spellcasting for those two rounds.

Then in the 3rd-level spells you can summon a boring beetle which can actually mess up your foes, and in the 4th-level spells you can summon bigger spiders with more potent poison. I feel pretty comfortable with this progression.

Fine! I guess I'll have to live without my swarm of mini sword spiders. 😛

You mentioned you were planning some structural changes to FnP? I'm doing a reinstall now of everything before starting a proper playthrough, so is that something worth waiting for or is the current version with the new paladin variants in good shape, functionally speaking?

1 hour ago, Quester said:

Fine! I guess I'll have to live without my swarm of mini sword spiders. 😛

You mentioned you were planning some structural changes to FnP? I'm doing a reinstall now of everything before starting a proper playthrough, so is that something worth waiting for or is the current version with the new paladin variants in good shape, functionally speaking?

I just did an install with the current version, and I hope not to reinstall it for many months (fingers crossed!), so there's not any problem with the mod as it stands now (except for any problems I don't know about). I haven't played through the game with the mods as they stand now, which is why I've marked all the new stuff as 'pre-release.' If you're okay with that, then you don't need to wait.

The structural changes I mentioned are basically just because people have on several occasions declined to install the multiclass kits. I moved the multiclass kits to a separate .tp2 in order that they could be installed after any other kits, but I did not foresee that Weidu would still have a problem installing more than 255 kits. In this case which kits get installed becomes an either/or choice for players, and FnP being too deferential and being too late in the order just invites players to choose other kit mods instead, and cause our kits to fail to install. And then players wonder why some features aren't working! Why would we set up our own mod for install failures? That doesn't make sense.

So I am going to fold the multiclass kits back into the rest of FnP, and this will once again be a single unified mod.

But, that is purely a structural consideration. It won't change any of the mod's content that you see as a player. So there's no reason to wait for it. You can use the mod in its current state. Just:

1. make sure to install the FnP Multiclass kits; and/or
  2. make sure to install the Apply FnP Kits to NPCs component; and/or
  3. make sure to install NPC_EE.

Does that change the recommended install order?

I still refer to this readme (may outdated): https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/Faiths_and_Powers/issues/136

As far as I understand that meant installing some mods between fnp and fnp_multiclass

...Hm, now that I checked, that would only leave MnG, but there also https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/5E_spellcasting#compatibility that says to install it between Fnp and fnp_multi

(And then https://github.com/UnearthedArcana/5E_spellcasting#compatibility says

Probably it should be after most other kits. Like maybe immediately before Might & Guile. (Kits installed after WtP will not have a chance to be Wild Talents.)

But it just probably means it needs to go absolute last in new kit mods?)

50 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I just did an install with the current version, and I hope not to reinstall it for many months (fingers crossed!), so there's not any problem with the mod as it stands now (except for any problems I don't know about). I haven't played through the game with the mods as they stand now, which is why I've marked all the new stuff as 'pre-release.' If you're okay with that, then you don't need to wait.

The structural changes I mentioned are basically just because people have on several occasions declined to install the multiclass kits. I moved the multiclass kits to a separate .tp2 in order that they could be installed after any other kits, but I did not foresee that Weidu would still have a problem installing more than 255 kits. In this case which kits get installed becomes an either/or choice for players, and FnP being too deferential and being too late in the order just invites players to choose other kit mods instead, and cause our kits to fail to install. And then players wonder why some features aren't working! Why would we set up our own mod for install failures? That doesn't make sense.

So I am going to fold the multiclass kits back into the rest of FnP, and this will once again be a single unified mod.

But, that is purely a structural consideration. It won't change any of the mod's content that you see as a player. So there's no reason to wait for it. You can use the mod in its current state. Just:

1. make sure to install the FnP Multiclass kits; and/or
  2. make sure to install the Apply FnP Kits to NPCs component; and/or
  3. make sure to install NPC_EE.

NPC_EE 5.8 or the current master (5.9.1)? Just want to make sure I get the one that's most compatible with the latest versions of the other mods.

57 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

5.9.1. I just made a release for it on Github.

Nice!

Getting an error installing Multiclass Shamans:

Spoiler

/Copying and patching 1 file ...
//ERROR: error loading [faiths_and_powers/kits/rangers/901_forest_ranger/ranger_goodberry.txt]
//ERROR: [faiths_and_powers/kits/multiclass/496_shamranger/d5shmrn.2da] -> [override/d5shmrn.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "faiths_and_powers/kits/rangers/901_forest_ranger/ranger_goodberry.txt"))
//Stopping installation because of error.
//Stopping installation because of error.
//ERROR Installing [Multiclass Shamans], rolling back to previous state
//Will uninstall 1572 files for [fnp_multiclass\fnp_multiclass.tp2] component 92.
//Uninstalled    1572 files for [fnp_multiclass\fnp_multiclass.tp2] component 92.
//ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "faiths_and_powers/kits/rangers/901_forest_ranger/ranger_goodberry.txt")
//Please make a backup of the file: Setup-fnp_multiclass.debug and look for support at: SubtleD and Grammarsalad
//Automatically Skipping [Multiclass Shamans] because of error.
//Using Language [English]
//[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 660271 string entries
//NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Multiclass Shamans

Not an important component for me, just thought I'd let you know.

Huh... looks like, for whatever reason, when we adopted ADD_KIT_EX I figured it can install kits above #255, so I stopped the old clunky method of spoofing ToBEx to fool Weidu. But now I hear about all these people who cannot install the FnP Multiclass part of the mod. So I look into it, and for whatever reason, if I add the old clunky ToBEx spoofing back in, then you can once again install this. So I updated the main branch to version 0.84.3 to make this work better.

Found these bugs a while ago but I was waiting for a re-install to see if they were still relevant. Installing on BG2:EE with IWDification, SCS, SRR. No EET.

1. Small beetles, Rhino Beetles, Ben-Hadar and the Assassin Vines effect are missing strings and write gobbledygook.
  2. Conjure Water Elemental is broken. The installer attempts to create the spell by cloning Conjure Fire Elemental and modifying it. I get two additional copies of Conjure Fire Elemental, one exactly as before but swapped to Water sphere in the description, and another with the correct description. Both appear with Water access and both summon fire elementals. The water elemental creatures are installed, but aren't used by the spell. Adopting support for IWDification's wizard spell might be an easy way out.
  3. When un-shapeshifting from a HLA form, only the visual effects are removed. This might be an incompatibility with SCS though, I installed the shapeshifting changes without thinking about it.
  4. Dual-classed characters don't get any sphere access, nor any sphere HLAs.

In an ideal world parts of this mod would get sweeping updates, but I appreciate how ludicrous it is to maintain something like this...

Sorry, I meant characters dual-classed to Cleric. Unkitted Clerics get sphere access at character creation, but dualing to a Cleric results in Universal spells only. In either case, the unkitted HLA tables only have the generic shared passive abilities in them, making the HLA selection very limited. Same goes for the other divine classes (but there's less reason not to use a kit there). I've just been throwing a bunch of the sphere HLAs into the tables post-install as a solution.

This is with oFNP spheres by the way, I don't know if the newer systems do it differently.

Ah. Well, the idea of the mod is that you’re only really supposed to get spells if you commit to a deity (have a cleric kit). I’ve put some time into making sure everyone gets some spells by default, and there are several areas the mod needs to cover. (Kits added by mods we don’t know about, dual-class clerics, and kitless multiclasses all represent distinct technical challenges.) I’ve been making sure all of these possibilities are covered, but some of the improvements may have gone into the pre-release v0.85 builds…

In the immediate term, I recommend taking a cleric kit, either using the Dual-to-Kit mod or with an NPC_EE tome. That will give you spells and HLAs