Unearthed Arcana present Tome & Blood: more options for arcane casters

On 1/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, kjeron said:

It can be as simple as applying 0-duration op72 just above op236, though you run the occasional risk it becoming permanent on the target as well (as op72 sometimes bugs out).

Applying the op72 effect to the clone after it's created only changes it's EA value, it doesn't make it controllable, for that you would also need to use op5 or op241, using the "Neutral Charm/ Neutral Dire Charm" option, for at least 1 second.

You can do this by applying in order: op272, once/sec, timing mode 9, then op236, then op321 to remove the op272 before it triggers on the target.

op272 would trigger on the clone, casting a spell with op72: EA:ALLY, timing mode 1, and op241: Neutral Charm no text, duration =1.

Coming back around to this idea... If the cloned Simulacrum spell is cast on an enemy, and a clone is  created of the enemy, and an EFF with a 146 effect casts SpellB on the clone, then presumably SpellB should have target = 1, meaning the (enemy) clone will cast SpellB on itself. In this case, would EA:ALLY make  it an ally of itself?  I.e. still an enemy of the player?

Also, for the op241 effect, do you mean duration=1, or timing=1?

19 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

would EA:ALLY make  it an ally of itself?  I.e. still an enemy of the player?

Also, for the op241 effect, do you mean duration=1, or timing=1?

No, setting a creature's EA value with op72 sets an exact value, not a relative value.

Duration = 1 second.  You don't need the charm to last, the effect just has to process long enough that you initially gain control of them.   After it expires, control will default based on it's EA value, which as ALLY(4) will be controllable by the player. (It actually takes a minimum of 2 ticks for this to occur, were you to use timing mode 10)

Updated to version 0.9.7. The 9th-level Illusionist spell 'Projected Simulacrum,' which gets installed as part of the 'Revised Illusionary Clones' component, is now a ranged spell instead of a touch spell, and it now works on enemies!  Have fun.

This is also a compatibility update to keep everything on the same page among the various mods I've worked on. If you use/plan to use any of the following, I recommend you update them all together to the latest versions:

@subtledoctorI ran into an issue with the Arcanist with v0.9.6 in BGEE. No matter how many casts per day I have, once I cast one spell I have no more casts left. EX: My second level Arcanist with 18INT and the Evermemory ring on has 6 casts after resting. I then cast a spell and my cast icon goes dark. I wait a minute or so but the cast icon stays dark. I need to rest to get it back, but then after one cast it is dark again. So I only am getting one cast per rest.
I attached my WeiDU log in case it helps.
EDIT: It seems that it is Larloch Minor Drain that does this. Reflect attack did not black out the cast, but casting Larloch does.

WeiDU.log

Edited by Necromanx2
On 3/20/2021 at 5:32 PM, Necromanx2 said:

@subtledoctorI ran into an issue with the Arcanist with v0.9.6 in BGEE. No matter how many casts per day I have, once I cast one spell I have no more casts left. EX: My second level Arcanist with 18INT and the Evermemory ring on has 6 casts after resting. I then cast a spell and my cast icon goes dark. I wait a minute or so but the cast icon stays dark. I need to rest to get it back, but then after one cast it is dark again. So I only am getting one cast per rest.
I attached my WeiDU log in case it helps.
EDIT: It seems that it is Larloch Minor Drain that does this. Reflect attack did not black out the cast, but casting Larloch does.

I, too, have this problem when casting a second level spell. I have aganazar's and sound burst in my book and casting any immediately depletes all my spells casts. 

I do have cheated my PC to be a Arcanist/Thief multi class via DLTCEP since eekeeper would kill the Tome and Blood scripts, so maybe that has messed up my save? It did work fine for lvl 1 spells.

WeiDU.log

Thank you soo much for making these awesome mods and making my favourite game better and better still. Especially this mod, out of all the excellent work you did on BG-mods, fulfils a childhood dream of mine! YOU are AWESOME!

EDIT: I did recreate this bug with a new and uncheated arcanist. Losing all casting slots after casting sound burst on another creature. Interestingly, casting sound burst on self does NOT deplete the slots. Also I can cast resist fear on creatures and the ground without any problems.

EDIT2: Also Agannazar's only depletes the casts when cast on another creature. I can cast on self without losing the other slots.

EDIT3: I Also noticed, that shield protects from beneficial cantrips also. Is that intended?

Edited by vr1l

Okay I just tested and there's definitely a problem with the Arcanist. Sorry! I'll run some tests.

The full conversion - where all wizards and priests get the Arcanist casting style - seems to be working, I'm playing it now on an iPad. So if you don't want to wait you could try that. But I'll work on getting it working for the single-kit version as well.

Oh cool, for the time being, I will just limit my self to casting spells from second level on myself, I guess. I hope you can find a way to make it work.

Btw, I noticed, that the ring that doubles the first level spells does not give the ability advertised in the readme, but rather adds one lvl1 cast as well as one lvl1 slot. I think this is just fine, but might be an oversight.

Sadly I haven't gotten the Arcanist Identify to work. maybe a conflict with spel_rev?

EDIT: Another thing I noticed is, that it takes two rests after choosing new spells to have them memorised. When the script switches to 5e-mode, I have to rest again to be able to cast them. Might be by design, but I noticed that after character creation, the script directly adds the unspent casts after switching to 5e style.

Edited by vr1l

Something I noticed (using v0.9.7). This is for IWDEE v2.5 on Windows. The choose-your-own familiar component makes it so the sequencer/contingency screens show no spells or only level 1 spells. Uninstall this component, everything shows up fine. Reinstall it, the screens are messed up again. The rest of the familiar components don't cause any issues. Note, the component functions fine on its own. You can pick familiars and they work according to description (besides some dialogue being off). It's just also affecting the sequencer screens. Not a deal-breaker as sequencers are overpowered for IWD anyways, but I don't see it mentioned on the last few pages here.

Also wanted to add great work with this. I installed primarily to try out Projected Simulacrum. It's pretty fun to play around with.

Huh, that's weird. Do you have any other UI mods?

The Sequencer screens are busted on IWDEE 2.5 anyway, it displays the available spells in a horizontal row, alphabetically, with no scrolling. So if there are more than 10 or 12 choices, the last ones will be unavailable. This also affects the MnG Feat System when used in IWDEE, there is not really any way around it at the moment. But still I didn't see what you are describing - using that screen for familiars messing it up for regular sequencers.

Unfortunately there's not a ton I can do... the code for the familiar choice is borrowed wholesale from kjeron. The same code is used for Might & Guile feat choices, bard song choices, and archer called shot choices; and for Tome & Blood multiclass sorcerer spell choices. I wonder if those have the same effect that you are seeing.

(I can't play IWDEE at the moment (as in for about two years) because Beamdog made version 2.5 unmoddable on iOS - nothing wrong with the game itself, they just screwed up the OS file-handling hooks, and refused to update them. So I have not been able to do the same kind of in-depth testing where I play through the whole game, on IWDEE the way I've been able to with BGEE/SoD/BG2EE.)

---------------------------------------

EDIT - I see I actually have the same problem as vr1l, in the general 5E casting mod. So that's not great. Gonna need updates to several mods, and probably to reinstall my current game. Sigh. At least I have an inkling of how to fix it.  Maybe I can make a hotfix so we don't need to reinstall.  I'll report back soon.

Edited by subtledoctor

No UI mods. I did check on a clean install (or rather an archive with a clean folder of the game) just to isolate it. Option 5 of the revised metamagic did something similar when I installed it just to see how it worked. Like you said, it's probably got something to do with the different UI in IWDEE.

I actually used your Feats system a few months ago in IWDEE. From what I remember, it's kind of your-mileage-may-vary depending on which class you choose. I used it for a Barbarian only. There was some bugginess but it mostly worked fine. Revised Archery did not work at all when I tested it out (but I don't use Archer classes). I never mentioned it here because I'm not really a forum poster type and I assumed it was obvious enough that multiple people would have said something. Sounds like it's just an IWDEE issue.

@kjeron while you're here maybe you can confirm my suspicion about the spells not working for Arcanists. The system worked fine in TnB v0.9.4 and I don't see anything overtly wrong in 0.9.7 - it is installing correctly according to its design. This is how the new version works:

SpellA is an innate ability with an ability header targeting "Living Actor (1)" with the following effects:

• Opcode 146, target =  "Preset Target (2)," casting SPWI214 (Strength)
  • Opcode 146, target = "Self (1)," casting SpellB which reduces a stat value by 1 (representing spell slots)
  • Opcode 326, target = "Self (1)," on condition of a spellstate being set, casting SpellC which triggers the cycle of checking the stat value and giving innate abilities to match the correct number of spell slots

My guess is, even though the 326 effect is set to target "Self," either the condition or the spell it casts is referring to the "Living Actor" that you click on when you cast the spell.

If that's the case, then I would need to nest that condition inside a simpler 146 effect targeting "Self," or something like that.

EDIT - yeah, looking back at an install with version 0.9.4 where this works fine, SpellA looks like

-----------------------

Meanwhile, in testing this, I can't get the 0.9.7 Arcanist's spellcasting to initialize at all, which is weird because it uses the same underlying system as the broader 5E mod and MnG bards, and those work fine (in this regard). So, two bugs I need to nail down for this kit.

Edited by subtledoctor
44 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

My guess is, even though the 326 effect is set to target "Self," either the condition or the spell it casts is referring to the "Living Actor" that you click on when you cast the spell.

The condition is checked on the target of op326.

The projectile of the subspell will determine it's targeting:

If it uses projectile #0, "Self", "Preset target", and "Original Caster" will all refer to the target of op326.

If it uses any other projectile, it uses the "living actor" target for both it's "Self" and "Preset target", while "Original Caster" functions normally.

Huh. So maybe this is one of the rare instances where using the "Original Caster" target is called for.

And while I'm asking questions:

Part of the reason for that 326 effect is that I've merged both divine and arcane spells into this system. Given that this has to do the following every  time you cats a spell:

1. opcode 172 remove every innate spell clone (600 or so opcode 172 effects)
  2. check the stat value for divine casting slots and check the stat value for arcane casting slots
  3. give you every divine spell clone a number of times matching your divine casting slots (but many are blocked by permanent 206)
  4. give you every arcane spell clone a number of times matching your arcane casting slots (but many are blocked by permanent 206)

That seems like a lot to do every time you cast a spell. I figured I could reduce processing overhead by only doing #3 for divine casters and only doing #4 for arcane casters. Thus the conditional 326 effects.

If it makes the targeting work better, I could do both #3 and #4 via opcode 146, and simply add a 318 effect in front of each spell to block arcane casters from attempting to add divine clones, and vice versa. But, if a spell has hundreds or thousands of effects and they are blocked by opcode 318, does it actually save the computer from having to process all those effects? Or are they processed, but simply not applied to the target?

(That said, leaving the 326 effects in place and switching to target mode 9 would be an easier fix, and preserve the current, otherwise-working design. EDIT - target mode 9 does not fix this. Gonna have to try one of the other fixes.)

Edited by subtledoctor

Okay, I believe I've fixed the casting-spells-on-other-people bug, and the Arcanists-don't-initialize bug, and updated the sequencer menu for IWDEE, in version 0.9.9.

If you are only worried about the casting-spells-on-other-people bug and you have a game in progress, this hotfix should fix things.

And sorry, I just noticed this:

10 hours ago, vr1l said:

Sadly I haven't gotten the Arcanist Identify to work. maybe a conflict with spel_rev?

As long as you install TnB after SR, they work fine together. The Identify component will only conflict with UI mods. (Also, just to be sure: you don't use it from the inventory screen, you actually have to cast the spell in the main screen like other spells.)

10 hours ago, vr1l said:

Another thing I noticed is, that it takes two rests after choosing new spells to have them memorised. When the script switches to 5e-mode, I have to rest again to be able to cast them. Might be by design, but

No, that's a bug. In fact I think it's the same bug as the "don't initialize" thing I mentioned earlier. Assuming that's right, it is fixed in v0.9.9, and should also be fixed by the hotfix linked above (v4.1)

Edited by subtledoctor