Unearthed Arcana present Tome & Blood: more options for arcane casters

On 4/13/2021 at 8:57 PM, rkocour said:

So i'm having a weird thing with the arcanist. Can't seem to get the spellcasting to work at level 1. Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere. But starting up a new game, test arcanist, pick spells then sleep at the inn. The cast spell icon goes gray and never comes back. I level up, do the same thing, and it works.

This sounds a lot like what I saw sometimes in testing, but then it got fixed and I released it. Damn if I can remember what specifically caused that problem... but are you using the latest version?

If it works after levelling up, then maybe it has to do with spell slots. If you look at the character in a savegame where it isn't working, do you see a bunch of opcode 233 effects modifying proficiency 108? Those effects get removed and re-applied at level-up, which would explain why it works after levelling up.

EDIT - now that I think about it, I changed that so it no longer gets re-applied at level-up, instead your spell slots get reapplied whenever you sleep. (This was changed to ensure they get updated to work with the mod that grants bonus slots for stat scores.)

EDIT2 - actually it looks like the Arcanist gets it applied when sleeping and at level-up. That's actually a mistake - there is no need for it to happen at level-up - but it should be harmless.

What game are you playing? Which patch version? What level did you start at? What inn did you sleep in?

On 4/10/2021 at 9:47 AM, Guest TwiceTested said:

Cureently level 4 and normally after a rest, i have 4 lv2 castings and 7 lv 1 castings.   but after liading up the game for the first time, it changes all my castings to two. This will persist after resting as well until i activate the ability to memorize new spells then go to sleep.  Also, if i reload the same safe afterwards, i don't have this problem either.  Really weird!

Sounds like it has something to do with bonus slots for stat scores...? Or bonus slot items. (Were you wearing a Ring of Wizardry or something at the time you saved/reloaded?)

Edited by subtledoctor

Was playing latest 2.5 patch before 2.6 dropped in BGEE (no eet). Starting fresh in candlekeep. Saw this behavior regardless of other mods installed. I tried editing the spell slot file (d5arc or somethign) to 9 spell slots for level 1 and 2, and nothing changed. There were a lot of those modify spell slot effects on the char file. As soon as i level up to 2 though everything seems to be correct.

EDIT: just installed 5e spellcasting on a fresh 2.6 game. And it kind of seems to be working. Had 2 magic missiles after resting in candlekeep. I'll keep testing and come back here. Will be slow thought. Slowly working through my mod list on 2.6

Edited by rkocour
21 hours ago, rkocour said:

Was playing latest 2.5 patch before 2.6 dropped in BGEE (no eet). Starting fresh in candlekeep. Saw this behavior regardless of other mods installed. I tried editing the spell slot file (d5arc or somethign) to 9 spell slots for level 1 and 2, and nothing changed. There were a lot of those modify spell slot effects on the char file. As soon as i level up to 2 though everything seems to be correct.

Don't mess with the opcode 42 spell slot effects. What ends up controlling your spellcasting slots in-game are opcode 233 effects modifying proficiency #108. See the spell files whose name starts "D5ZLT..." If you only install the Arcanist, it is D5ZLTAC.SPL. If you install the overall 5E casting conversion, then for wizards it is D5ZLTWZ.SPL.

Note, modifying those spells is not exactly for the faint of heart. Each one has 50 headers (one for each possible character level) and each one resets you casting slots to the number of slots you should have at each level. You would have to change the opcode 233 effect to change the spell slots in all 50 headers. Even assuming you are adept and do it correctly, it would be super tedious.

Instead, to change the number of casting slots you have, open the file "tomeandblood/data/arcanist/d5cstarc.2da" (for the Arcanist in Tome & Blood) or "5E_spellcasting/data/5e_casting/d5cstwiz.2da" (for the total 5E casting conversion mod). Change the values in those tables to whatever you want before installing the mod, and your casting slots-in-game will reflect your desired values.

EDIT - just to be clear, the above is to modify your casting slots. To modify preparation slots, you would indeed need to change the opcode 42 effects on the character. Or just change the normal MXSPLWIZ.2da spell table in your game.

7 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Instead, to change the number of casting slots you have, open the file "tomeandblood/data/arcanist/d5cstarc.2da" (for the Arcanist in Tome & Blood) or "5E_spellcasting/data/5e_casting/d5cstwiz.2da" (for the total 5E casting conversion mod). Change the values in those tables to whatever you want before installing the mod, and your casting slots-in-game will reflect your desired values.

That's definitely what i did in my initial testing. Modified that file before install.  Never modified any effects after install.

Edited by rkocour
Guest Xavius

Thank you so much for this amazing mod!

I'm encountering an issue that I want to see if I can fix.  So, I've downloaded only one part of the mod... the Multi Sorcerer part.  No other parts of your mod have been installed at this point.

I've made a Human Fighter/Sorcerer (the Human multi is possible thanks to Tweaks Anthology).

I am trying to re-create a character (F/M) I rolled earlier but now as a F/S instead.  To do this, I ctrl+shift+8 at attribute creation, downgrade his stats to my original total (96), start game, save, then EEKeeper the exceptional Str bonus down to where it was (91, instead of 100 that the cheat gets you).

The major issue is this:

- If I open my character in EEKeeper for any reason (such as to downgrade my exceptional str modifier as mentioned above), and then save as an edited version, when I open that altered save game, the spell casting becomes broken.  Now, when I cast a sorcerer spell, after a single cast of any spell, the remaining casts jumps up to 15 for everything.  On top of that, each spell now acts independently... meaning if I cast level 1 Armor, it goes down to 14 remaining casts, but the other level 1 spells stay at 15.

Now I've thought that I can work around this by NEVER opening EEKeeper for my character.  I could recreate my desired attributes by rolling until I get 91 exception str bonus, then CLUAConsole in tomes to bring up the rest.

BUT, I more recently found out that despite the Tweaks Anthology "Multiclass Grandmastery" being enabled, it doesn't work for the F/S.  Well, I could EEKeeper in the proficiencies when he reaches the appropriate level, but then by utilizing EEKeeper, I would break his spell casting again.

It seems avoiding EEKeeper might be harder than I imagine for my desired character.  Unless there's a way to enable F/S multi grandmastery, or at least not cause the spellcasting to break after altering in EEKeeper.

Any ideas on why this incompatibility with EEKeeper might be?

Thanks again for everything you've done.

Guest Xavius

OK, small edit to above...

The spell-casting jumps up to 15 inappropriately as I stated, but remains linked appropriately for each spell at a certain spell-level (not independent as I said earlier... I just needed to wait a second or two for the other spells to drop down 1 cast).  So disregard the "each spell now acts independently" part.

I noticed if I CLUAConsole my XP to level up, then use the Arcane Spell Knowledge ability to choose new spells, the 15 count returns to its normal number.  AND it acts normally after casting.  So I may have discovered a workaround.

But either way, people should be aware that when using a Multi Sorcerer, EEKeeper usage will temporarily break spellcasting until the next level up.

Guest Xavius

OK, last post since I can't edit my previous couple and I don't want to spam the boards.

But, in CLUAConsoling level ups for my F/S to test things out, I noticed the sorcerer casting abilities are based of the Fighter level.  A Fighter 4/Sorcerer 3, for example, casts as if it's a Sorcerer 4.

So to summarize my last 3 posts:

Issues I've found:

1) Using EEKeeper (even opening, changing nothing, then saving) will break spell casting for a F/S multi.  See post two above this, but in short, once EEKeeper is used for any reason, the next spell cast causes all remaining spells to jump to 15 casts.  

1a) Leveling up then re-using Arcane Spell Knowledge appears to correct this.

1b) Using all 15 spell casts to bring remaining casts to 0, then resting at an inn does NOT restore spells to original number... in fact, the spell icon stays grayed out even after resting.

1c) Using EEKeeper right after starting in Candlekeep (and before using Arcane Spell Knowledge for the first time) will permanently gray out your spell icon.  However, if you start in Candlekeep, use Arcane Spell Knowledge, *then* EEKeeper, the spell icon is usable (but breaks on the next cast as mentioned already).

2) Sorcerer spell tabel for the F/S multi is based off the fighter level, not the sorcerer level.

3) F/S multi cannot obtain grandmastery even if the Tweaks Anthology "Multiclass Grandmastery" mod is installed.  So there's an incompatibility here.  Wouldn't bother me if EEKeeper was an option.

Last post.  Thanks again.

Short answer: EEKeeper is stupid and makes some kind of changes to characters without telling users. Use Near Infinity instead

I think what happens is, EEKeeper might remove all permanent effects from characters. But several of my mods apply permanent effects that need to stay on the characters, which is why they’re, well, permanent. I don’t know why EEKeeper does that, or why it secretly does it. But it is not good. 

Don’t use ctrl-R, either. 

13 hours ago, Guest Xavius said:

F/S multi cannot obtain grandmastery even if the Tweaks Anthology "Multiclass Grandmastery" mod is installed.  So there's an incompatibility here

Either you installed Tweaks before TnB (in which case it makes sense because it cannot modify a kit that doesn’t exist yet), or Tweaks does not handle mod kits to the extent that it (ideally) should. 

Edited by subtledoctor
Guest Xavius
52 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Short answer: EEKeeper is stupid and makes some kind of changes to characters without telling users. Use Near Infinity instead

I think what happens is, EEKeeper might remove all permanent effects from characters. But several of my mods apply permanent effects that need to stay on the characters, which is why they’re, well, permanent. I don’t know why EEKeeper does that, or why it secretly does it. But it is not good. 

Don’t use ctrl-R, either. 

Either you installed Tweaks before TnB (in which case it makes sense because it cannot modify a kit that doesn’t exist yet), or Tweaks does not handle mod kits to the extent that it (ideally) should. 

Thank you for your response.  I'll look into Near Infinity.

Hello, kind of new to modding BG. I've managed to get EET installed and working as well as a couple different setups with other mods installed. 

The Magus Sorcerer sounded pretty interesting so I've made a whole new install twice now and both times, when it comes time to select spells, you can't select any. It says zero spells left to choose and venturing forth lands me in Candlekeep with... no spells. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's the new 2.6 release. Any advice where I might look or something to try to clear it up?

I did try the two abilities and they didn't appear to do anything. For now I've started over again with a fresh install and currently trying to get past some modmerge errors. 

I'll post back here when I've got it all installed again and can test it once more. 

Guest TwiceTested

So, just did a fresh install, 2.6.6 with the following in order:

Pictures everywhere

Ascension

IWDification (spells only)

Rogue Rebalancing

Skip Chateau Irenicus

Tips and Tricks (does instant trap detection and adds bag of holding to beginning of game)

Tomb and Blood

ATweaks

SCS

CDTweaks

My issue is that neither my arcanist NOR Aerie have the ability to scrip scrolls.  I didn't install much from Tomb and Blood, just the kits and the Identify fix (left the school revisions alone).  I don't know why my casters can't scribe anything.  I specifically passed up the scribe scrolls from the tweaks mods because I wanted the Tomb and Blood version instead, but I don't.  I assumed the arcanist didn't have them because it's a mod, but Aerie has no kits at all, so I figured she would get them from cleric AND mage, but doesn't.  And I can't just add the ability cause I have no idea what it's code is.

Any help on this?  At least the ability code so I can add it to my guys with the console?