SR V4 Beta 18

Mike1072

Would it be possible to install only certain spells?

Also, is a table containing actual details of the spells available? Remember to have seen a website in the past but it mostly had descriptions , but I would like to see actual differences between the spells, not actual differences between the description of them.

Turns out the table I was referring to is available in the first page and it is pretty disappointing.

A readily example: Level 9 gate.

For vanilla there is absolutely no reference about the stats of the creature. https://gibberlings3.github.io/SpellRevisions/vanilla-spells/arcane/level-9/gate
Okay, let's put that aside. After all, who cares about vanilla?

But... at least a table to compare which creature is better should be available. Right now, there is no actual way to compare the creature summoned. What does SR adds that the vanilla creature doesn't have?  Is SR demon stronger? 

I can't think of any resources that describe the vanilla spells in greater detail than the descriptions.  For that, you'd have to pop open something like NearInfinity to inspect the files in your game.

The Pit Fiend in SR is probably more powerful than the one from vanilla.  If I recall, the power of summons in general was increased, and some specific summons (celestials, fiends) were updated to be more in line with their proclaimed power in the setting.  I know SR's Pit Fiend has been nerfed at least once after feedback of being too powerful.

As far as skipping individual spells, this is possible with a bit of manual tweaking.  You'd have to open up spell_rev/components/main_component.tpa before installing the mod, find the lines pertaining to the spell you want to skip, and then comment out each line by prefixing it with two forward slashes (//).  For example, lines 3072–3081 pertain to the ninth-level Gate spell.

Replacing SR's ADD_SPELL usage with that function would be a significant endeavour that would impact not just SR, but also mods like SCS that interface with SR's spell system.  It would require writing custom compatibility code to replace the built-in logic that comes with ADD_SPELL to avoid seeing the same spell duplicated in multiple mods.  I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Also, I'm not interested in having to support separate versions of the mod for the EE and vanilla games at this time.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:51 PM, Guest Soulfury said:

Sorry if this is a nub question, but are the scrolls of these new spells available in-game for mages to scribe such as the monster summoner series?

Yup

Separately, I'm throwing this out there: Nishruu are wildly overpowered.. sort of.  I'm in chapter 3 in BG2, about 13th level, and enemy mages are routinely spawning two of these instantaneously at the start of each fight. They don't really hurt me; but they have 90 hit points and 50% resistance to physical and magic damage, so effectively 180 hit points. I don't know what the point of that resistance is. Also, they seem to be healing every couple seconds, which makes killing them uncannily like taking down the Greater Wolfwere in TotSC.  (I think that is because my game has an underlying repeating effect attached to everyone in order to give them stat bonuses, and the Nishruu is treating that as if a spell was cast at them. Maybe I need to figure out how to exempt that healing effect from self-cast spells? Or spells with power level 0? Or something. Honestly I can't even find that healing effect in the .CRE file...)

Haven't ever had any issues with Nishruus or Hakeashars, they almost always die super quickly and seem like one of the weakest summons for those spellcasting levels. Also, don't they get instantly slain from any kind of Dispel Magic? Though I feel like...I have an inkling of a memory about some kind of self-healing problem they had, but I don't remember if it was fixed either in SR or SRR or what, and I can't say I've ever run into it myself. Not a hundred percent certain what exact conditions trigger their self-healing, either.

On 3/1/2021 at 11:06 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Haven't ever had any issues with Nishruus or Hakeashars, they almost always die super quickly and seem like one of the weakest summons for those spellcasting levels. Also, don't they get instantly slain from any kind of Dispel Magic? Though I feel like...I have an inkling of a memory about some kind of self-healing problem they had

I think the issue is my ability score bonuses mod applies a repeating spell to all creatures, and the SR nishruu interprets that as “someone is casting spells at me, so heal.” I don’t love this mechanic anyway; maybe I’ll make a little tweak to remove or change it. 

The trouble is, I could not find any record of this contingent healing on their .CRE file, among active effects or items being worn. So I’m not sure what exactly needs to be modified. Maybe I just missed it...

2 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I think the issue is my ability score bonuses mod applies a repeating spell to all creatures, and the SR nishruu interprets that as “someone is casting spells at me, so heal.” I don’t love this mechanic anyway; maybe I’ll make a little tweak to remove or change it. 

The trouble is, I could not find any record of this contingent healing on their .CRE file, among active effects or items being worn. So I’m not sure what exactly needs to be modified. Maybe I just missed it...

IIRC, it's done via its script, nishru01.bcs, but don't quote me on that.

Guest ColdFiltered
On 8/5/2020 at 10:09 AM, Lianos said:

Imprisonment & Freedom

Intended way of Imprisonment in SR how I understand it: Victim is send to a maze. After a cpuple of rounds, he returns and dies.

My assumption: Freedom is the counter to Imprisonment.

Actual behavoir ingame: If Freedom is cast, the still-in maze-victim of Imprisonment is freeed from the maze. However, he will still die after a couple of rounds. This is not intended, isn't it?

I'm struggling with this one too.  Freedom clears the maze effect but there's no way to avoid death.  Even with IR imprisonment immunity boots, it blocks the maze effect fine but not the death.  Is there a simple (I know nothing about modding other than how to install) change I can make to correct this (or just make imprisonment do nothing, I can manually replicate the effect with console or something)?  I'm towards the end of SOA and I find myself often just having to accept fighting short handed if there's a mage that casts imprisonment.  It's only going to get worse through TOB/ascension.  If it's related to another mod, I can post my wedu list.  Basically, EET, SCS, IR, SR, RR, a few tweaks. 

Great mod, I've really enjoyed it (along with the others).  Other bugs I've noticed along the way have been identified elsewhere in this thread, and aren't show-stoppers like this one.

7 hours ago, Guest ColdFiltered said:

I'm struggling with this one too.  Freedom clears the maze effect but there's no way to avoid death.  Even with IR imprisonment immunity boots, it blocks the maze effect fine but not the death.  Is there a simple (I know nothing about modding other than how to install) change I can make to correct this (or just make imprisonment do nothing, I can manually replicate the effect with console or something)?  I'm towards the end of SOA and I find myself often just having to accept fighting short handed if there's a mage that casts imprisonment.  It's only going to get worse through TOB/ascension.  If it's related to another mod, I can post my wedu list.  Basically, EET, SCS, IR, SR, RR, a few tweaks. 

Great mod, I've really enjoyed it (along with the others).  Other bugs I've noticed along the way have been identified elsewhere in this thread, and aren't show-stoppers like this one.

I played around with a number of things for SRR, but I was never able to figure out a proper solution for Imprisonment's mechanics. Restoring the original behavior breaks character dialogues if cast on party members OR ends the game instantly if cast on the PC - that really sucks. Permanent maze makes it so that you can't leave the area or even rest (I think?) without kicking the character out of your party - also not acceptable. Simply killing the character instead sort of solves the biggest issues, but it feels so crappy and doesn't allow you to counter it in a sensible way. What's the solution? ...I don't know.

My own opinion is that Imprisonment should simply be excised from the spellbooks. It is the ultimate eff you spell if used against the player and a rather cheap way to get rid of a powerful enemy, assuming it is not immune to it. As Bartimeus pointed out, there is really no good way to balance this mess.