Take a First Stroll Around the Tower! (Trailer)

Hi Yovaneth, nice to see you!

Yovaneth made the main tower area from scratch, it's not Rabain's although it might look similar if Yovaneth took Rabain's first scetch as orientation. Either way, Rabain agreed to his artwork being used by the original tower team.

@Jarno Mikkola

there is something called copyright and it does also apply to own ideas and creations, and yes also for mods. Stop saying that using artwork from someone else - and pretending it's yours on top of it - would be totally ok.

To use your own words: let it go, Jarno. I will not tolerate such a discussion in this thread. Great to see that you would be cool with a team member you opened the hidden workroom to taking your work and publishing it as his, I do not share this feeling and neither do any of the other old team and seeing it spelled out is more than annoying.

Guest Yovaneth

Hello Jastey 😀 You still have my email address if you need clarification on anything at all.

This is just an FYI as I have no intention of continuing beyond this. As will become apparent when the mod is released, somewhere between 20% and 25% of the textures and area assets are new i.e. they don't owe anything to the original Bioware assets. Secondly, thank you Brokenkatana for the elucidation on collage art. I also believe (but IANAL) it also comes under derivative works as more than 10% of the original has been changed in some shape or form. Under both of these definitions (and also under Beamdog's definitions) what was done by the other team was pure theft.

Had the other mod been a good mod, I would have shrugged it off and said nothing. To see something that I spent many hundreds of hours creating being used in what I (i.e. my own opinion and no-one else's) consider to be a very poor mod tends to sting a bit. If I had simply abandoned the artwork to all and sundry I would have no moral ground whatsoever to stand on and no right to say anything but I did not; I handed it all to Jastey for her to use as she saw fit.

Thank you all for listening. I have tried to present a balanced view of it because I really do not want to ignite a flame war.

Lately, while looking to finally get a large BGT install working (that would be a feat), i started to remember old mods. Azenmod, COM Encounters... The Grey Clan... At this point (2005), Divine Remix appeared. And in the 2010's, came the 'Colours of Infinity' mods, which shared a common ground with Divine Remix: a new, involved, more subtle, committed to balance and quality way to create mods... And now, i just strolled around the never yet published second add-on for BG.

As i thought... Modding for BG has changed quite a lot in the last 15 years :) It's seriously promising. I guess i will make a new install again at some point when this mod is released. I can't really go around the idea of missing on it.

Edited by Nox