Grey the Dog Bug Report Thread

jastey

Interesting, thank you very much. This is definitely not the original behavior of the spells used in the Grey mod. I'll attach the original spells to this post, if you replace them with the ones in your override folder then they should only be applied to Grey as originally intended (they might have funny names, though, because their name is not patched properly in your game.)

I'd let Grey join the party before that, though, so hopefully the protection spells are no longer active. Also, I'd suggest not replacing the existing ones but renaming them to something else just in case using the raw spells doesn't work as intended.

c#min0hp.spl c#min5hp.spl

All protection he gains as 7th party member should be removed when he rejoins the party, yes. That should work as intended with the original spells as they use a second spell type kind of thing.

As for what happened in your install I'll investigate. Thanks for the report!

Version 3 bug...I know - old version but I don't want to forget to let you know about this in case it wasn't caught before...

Last code block in BG0120.bcs has a bad dlg file name

IF
    Global("C#Grey_Exists","GLOBAL",0)
    NumInParty(6)
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        SetGlobal("C#Grey_Exists","GLOBAL",6)
        CreateCreatureEffect("C#Grey03","",[780.1578],S)  // Grey
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",MakeGlobalOverride())
        SetGlobal("C#GreyJoined","GLOBAL",2)
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",MakeGlobal())
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",ChangeEnemyAlly(Myself,FAMILIAR))
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",SetDialogue("c#greyj"))  <=== DOESN'T EXIST
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",AddFamiliar())
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",ChangeAIScript("DEFAULT",CLASS))
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",ChangeAIScript("",RACE))
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",ChangeAIScript("",GENERAL))
        ActionOverride("C#Grey",ChangeAIScript("",DEFAULT))
END

EDIT: I think this is my error since I unloaded EET_End to speed up development.  I noticed all the join dlg files are missing.  So MY bad on this one. :)

Edited by Lauriel

Grey The Dog @jastey Wolfhound Kit

• See previous comments about being able to put 2 pips in all the weapon styles (Two-Handed, Sword and Shield, Single Weapon, Two-Weapons) due to how Scales of Balance integrates with the kit @subtledoctor
  • Small typo in kit description

-Movement modifier -1 at levels 1,5 and every 10 levels thereafter.

There should be a space between the "1," and "5"

-Gains Tracking Ability at level 7 plus 1 extra use every 5 levels thereafter.

Should probably read "-Gains Tracking innate ability at level 7 plus an extra use every 5 levels."

-From level 6 onwards gains Bark: will instill Fear and panic in enemies and bolster own resistance to fear. At later levels this resistance expands to include the party as well as all effects increasing in duration. Extra use every 6 levels.
      -From level 8 onwards gains True Sight: Grey will sniff through any invisibility. Extra use every 8 levels.
      -From level 10 gains Alpha Call: can call on any dogs in the local area to come to his aid.  The dogs called improve as Grey gets more powerful. Gains extra use every 10 levels. This ability does not work indoors.

Should probably read

-At level 6 gains Bark: will instill Fear and panic in enemies and bolster own resistance to fear. At higher levels Bark grants the fear resistance to the entire party and all effects increase in duration. Gains an extra use every 6 levels.
      -At level 8 gains True Sight: Grey will sniff through any invisibility. Gains an extra use every 8 levels.
      -At level 10 gains Alpha Call: can call on any dogs in the local area to come to his aid.  The dogs called improve as Grey gets more powerful. Gains an extra use every 10 levels. This ability does not work indoors.

• This is a completely nitpicky thing, but the level 5 immunity to blindness effect doesn't have a name assigned to the ability so when you use the EEex function to let you inspect spell effects currently active on a character (see here) the immunity doesn't have a name.  Another useful thing would be to have a text message upon level up, something like

Improved Scent: immunity to blindness

That gets displayed so the player is better informed of changes to Grey.

• Grey's Paw (offhand weapon) lists a bunch of classes that can use it, when I would expect it to only say Grey, the same applies to Grey's "War Dog Cannine's Booster" which lists a bunch of races that cannot use it.  I'd probably change the usability text to just "War Dog" or "Wolfhound".  Same applies to his armor.

• The right click description for the "Bark" innate ability is blank.

• The tracking description has a bunch of "ranger" in the text.

• Alpha Call doesn't have any description text when right-clicked.

• Grey's movement speed starts penalized compared to human characters and only catches up at level 15.  I think you could be a bit more generous and have Grey start at human speed and increase as he levels up because right now, for most of the game it's actually a disadvantage and not an advantage.

• Grey's low dex and mental stats means that Scales of Balance revised statistics gives him a bunch of penalties on his saving throws.  Might need a custom adjustment if that goes against the intended interaction between the two mods.

• Grey does not get HLAs (even with Refinements installed).  Since Grey only has BG1 and SoD content so far, this is fine but it could result in a corner case.  I'd suggest that Grey probably needs a custom set of HLAs (or existing ones reflavoured) when/if you get around to doing the BG2 content.

Thank you for the feedback @Caedwyr!

11 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

See previous comments about being able to put 2 pips in all the weapon styles (Two-Handed, Sword and Shield, Single Weapon, Two-Weapons) due to how Scales of Balance integrates with the kit @subtledoctor

@subtledoctor I posted the wolfhound kit name and useful pip slots with your tagg when it was last mentioned, would be great if compatibility could be added.

-Thanks for the typos.

-Name of abilities, text message: I'll have to take a look how to add that.

14 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

Grey's Paw (offhand weapon) lists a bunch of classes that can use it, when I would expect it to only say Grey, the same applies to Grey's "War Dog Cannine's Booster" which lists a bunch of races that cannot use it.  I'd probably change the usability text to just "War Dog" or "Wolfhound".  Same applies to his armor.

If you are on EE then this is done automatically by the engine. I wouldn't know how to prevent the extensive listing. OK - it's because I am using a solution that works for both classic and EE engine. There are more elegant ways to do this for EE alone, I guess.

-Thanks for pointing out the missing description texts.

-Movement rate: I guess I need to have a look at that agin, too.

16 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

Grey's low dex and mental stats means that Scales of Balance revised statistics gives him a bunch of penalties on his saving throws.  Might need a custom adjustment if that goes against the intended interaction between the two mods.

I have no idea how Scales of Balance is supposed to work.

17 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

Grey does not get HLAs (even with Refinements installed).  Since Grey only has BG1 and SoD content so far, this is fine but it could result in a corner case.  I'd suggest that Grey probably needs a custom set of HLAs (or existing ones reflavoured) when/if you get around to doing the BG2 content.

I thought that's covered by the special abilities he gains (Bark, Greater Bark, etc.) but looking at it now it seems I'll have to have a look at that again.

For Greater Bark I would make it an explicit entry in the kit description.  Something like:

-At level X, Greater Bark: Grey's Bark ability increases in power, DETAILS HERE.

On the movement speed, part of the issue is the default dog animation  is slower than humanoid character.

Edited by Caedwyr
On 8/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, jastey said:

I posted the wolfhound kit name and useful pip slots with your tagg when it was last mentioned, would be great if compatibility could be added.

I've implemented it, but it needs testing.  The mod has other changes that I've been adding over time, and is not really ready for a release at the moment.