Grey the dog: About the Mod

jastey

Grey the Dog NPC

Original idea for a dog companion, first kit draft with special abilities, first portrait: Rabain
Everything else: jastey

Grey is a full-fledged joinable NPC, but still a real dog. The only magic on him is his magically enchanted items.
He has sensible interjections (Woof!), NPC banters (mostly NPC dialogues about him with the PC), a click dialogue (PID) if the PC feels like playing fetch or just needs someone to talk to. There are dialogue options that reflect the game story and I'll promise: Grey will always listen to your PC's woes. Grey initiates no dialogues so there is no friendship track and - I am really sorry, but no romance. Not even for Shapeshifters.
In BG1 there are two small quests, both available in BG city. The quests are also available and solvable without Grey in party.
Where appropriate, Grey can be told to "search" for missing persons, in BG1 Brage and farmer Brun's son, in SoD the five missing refugees. This is realized so it doesn't spoil the quests too much, though, so do not expect too much help.

Grey can follow the group as a "7th party member". There are some quirks with this mode and also levelling up needs to be done by letting him join from time to time (please refer to readme), but it works great if you need the slot for another NPC without having to send Grey back home.

Please note: So far, the mod officially contains no BGII content. There is some (English) BGII content but BGII is not yet officially supported.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

11 minutes ago, Acifer said:

All I want for christmas is Grey's +2 war teeth.

Well, until Beta 8 you got those in infinite amounts at the bginning of BGII because I forgot to set a closing variable... (I shouldn't post things like these, it's quite embarassing for my modding skills.)

"Best NPC Ever!" was posted before I memberized myself  :)

I've always had pets; always loved dogs (my profile image is Sophie who is a rather notorious and aggressively friendly French Brittany).  You seem to have captured the dog 'spirit' Most Excellently!  Runs fast, eager to please, dialogue limited to "woof!" ("I'm happy") and "WOOF!" ("BAD GUY HERE!").

So of course I'm assuming you will now add Grey to BG2 (*cough*) and perhaps another pet companion or two.  I'd love to run a 'pet-solo', probably as a Mage.  Get a familiar, grab Grey to help tanking, then Wilson (the bear), perhaps a Raccoon  🦝 with some Thieving traits, and some sort of mild healing pet (but that seems a bit troublesome to find a good fit).

Anyway, great job, thanks!

Edited by djarv

Heh, thanks! A praise from a dog friend is high praise in this case. (I never had a dog, I have to admit.)

There are traces of BGII content already, you will find him in Irenicus Dungeon etc., but after that not so much content. I'll come back to this but not right away, I am currently in BG1 with modding. :)

@Lauriel Thanks for the kind words!

Stupid question, though: for original BGII Grey is using the animation of the Moondog, which I thought is the ranger compagnion? I never played a ranger (you know, I mod, I don't play) so I'm not too familiar with how and where rangers(?) get their moon dog, and if at all?

Just now, jastey said:

@Lauriel Thanks for the kind words!

Stupid question, though: for original BGII Grey is using the animation of the Moondog, which I thought is the ranger compagnion? I never played a ranger (you know, I mod, I don't play) so I'm not too familiar with how and where rangers(?) get their moon dog, and if at all?

It's a summoned critter from an artifact given to them when they complete the ranger stronghold.  It's really cool, but it's very temporary.  Doesn't stay spawned for very long.