Add Quest Entry instead of Add Journal Entry

theacefes

Oh hi.

If I want to add a quest to the quest tab of the Journal in BG2EE, what would be the function I'd call? I know about AddJournalEntry(@,QUEST) but that just appears to add it to the Journal Tab. How does this actually work?

Thank you and apologies if it is in the IESDP and my search skills just suck.

To add journal entries in EE you need to use ADD_JOURNAL in the tp2 in addition. This usually looks like this:

No grouping under one title:

ADD_JOURNAL @10003 @10004 USING ~AjantisBG2\tra\autotra\%LANGUAGE%/game-AjantisBG2.tra~

Grouping under custom title:

ADD_JOURNAL TITLE (@1799) @67 @1795 @1796 @1797 @1798 USING ~C#Solaufein\Translations\autotra/%LANGUAGE%/C#SOLATRA.TRA~

Grouping under an existing BGII:EE title:

/* The Final Battle with Bodhi. */
ADD_JOURNAL EXISTING TITLE (#74337) @10008 @10009 USING ~AjantisBG2\tra\autotra\%LANGUAGE%/game-AjantisBG2.tra~

If you haven't yet, CamDawg wrote a helpful tutorial about the differences of EE vs. old engine modding here.

Thanks @jastey, now, does the grouping allow the 'quest' to show up in the Quest tab then? Or is that still a different functionality from adding it to the Journal. Currently, I have the quest updating and am manually erasing old entries. But it all shows up under the Journal tab, not the Quest.

UPDATE: Never mind, I answered my own question after reading through that tutorial. Everything in the universe makes sense now. ;) Thanks so much!

I usually erase whatever is outdated. So, if you have an entry with information that is still valid, leave it in, but if the step described in the entry is done, I'd remove this entry and put in another that refelects the quest progress. I hope that was your question.

FWIW, nowadays I write journal entries so anyone coming back to playing the game with my mods can do so without having to remember anything. That's how I play games currently and it makes life a lot easier. So, in the journal entries I describe who, when and where the next step takes place even though I can assume the player "should know what this is about".