(Potential) bug when importing BG1NPC into EET

Guest RaphaBE

Guest RaphaBE

First, some background... As I was installing EET through Project Infinity, I experienced an error with Ascension. Some research led me to the following discussion where other players experienced the same issue:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77155/help-with-eet-install-order/p2

The explanation provided by Knuckels makes sense, and was partially acknowledged by ALIEN. Hopefully he'll fix Project Infinity accordingly. Meanwhile I've performed a two-steps installation of EET as suggested, which resolved the issue.

However, being a programmer myself, I decided to check whether I could modify the EET script to avoid this two-steps installation. In the process, I looked at the script which handles compatibility with BG1NPC (EET/compat/bg1npc/include.tph) and I found something suspicious:

//Compatibility with BG1NPC Banters, Quests, and Interjections
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS ~WeiDU-BGEE.log~) AND (FILE_CONTAINS ~WeiDU-BGEE.log~ ~BG1NPC\.TP2. #[0-9]+ #1 ~) BEGIN

I do not think that's correct, because the BG1NPC components for "Banters, Quests and Interjections" should be 10 instead of 1. Thus I expect that the code should be modified as follows:

//Compatibility with BG1NPC Banters, Quests, and Interjections
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS ~WeiDU-BGEE.log~) AND (FILE_CONTAINS ~WeiDU-BGEE.log~ ~BG1NPC\.TP2. #[0-9]+ #10 ~) BEGIN

Now, I don't know whether it really matters that much as the operations performed in that block may not have much (if any) of an impact - still, it's probably worth fixing (assuming I'm correct).

Side question: as discussed in the link above, the issue with Project Infinity is tied to the fact that there's a space at the end of the Regex expressions. I assume you're intentionally using such a space because using "#1" would also match expressions like "#10" "#11" etc?

Guest RaphaBE

Right, that's what I ended up doing, but that wasn't the main point here.

To reiterate, the BG1NPC components referenced in EET are incorrect. I only mentioned the "Banters, Quests and Interjections" component because that's the only one I'm using, but I noticed that romance components are incorrect as well. Specifically:

- Banters, Quests, and Interjections: referenced as component 1, but it should be component 10

Dynaheir's Romance Core: referenced as component 12, but it should be components 50+

Female Romance Challenges, Ajantis vs Xan vs Coran: referenced as component 15, but it should be component 80

Add Non-Joinable NPC Portraits: referenced as component 8, but it should be component 160 (though this component was changed in v24 so the code may not be relevant anyway)

These incorrect references mean that EET does not go through much of the compatibility code for BG1NPC. No idea what consequences this would have - might be very minor.

I guess what you see are the structural changes from BG1NPC v23.x to v24. But v24 is not officially released yet, so EET wasn't adapted. But, since v24 is especially for EE, it definitely should. Thank you for pointing that out. As much as I am thankful for @AstroBryGuy's rework of BG1NPC - this is one example why changing component numbering for an existing mod should be done with caution.