Endless BG1 - A Mod for BG:EE, BG:SoD, BGT, and EET!

jastey

On 4/18/2020 at 11:03 AM, Blash2 said:

Attract the modder's attention to the unnoticed bug report with a casual comment: done

🤣 Thank you bro

On 4/17/2020 at 11:08 AM, jastey said:

Hm, with the SoD ceremony - EBG1 (for SoD) is inspired of how the PC's situation in BG city is presented at the beginning of SoD, and I get the "Hero of Baldur's Gate" vibe that SoD pushes tremendously (so the PC can "fall" even deeper at the end I suppose). That would be my excuse for inserting the "Hero of BG" ceremony for SoD/EET. I made it really, really short because I didn't want it to become something annoying (cutscenes tend to annoy me after having played them several times, EE be blessed for making them skipable.) The reason that the dialogue just proceeds afterwards with the Dukes is because for BG:EE+BGT the ceremony is not included. So it *is* right in the middle of the dialogue.

Makes sense. What would be ideal imho, is making the ceremony optional: After the dukes congratulate with the hero (totaly fine in sying 'hero' between them), have someone (a servant or a guard) coming in and saying something like "the people is gathering in the streets, after all the mess with the iron throne, dopplegangers and sarevok they demand an explanation". At that point, the player should have the choice of going out and explaining everything, either humbly("we are the group that stopped Sarevok") or taking all the glory for him/herself ("I am a hero, bask in my awsomeness!"); or, just select a dialogue like this: "I agree with the dukes, this should be kept quiet, Mr. Belt can explain everything to the crowd" and that dialogue should not trigger the ceremony cutscene.

I don't know anything about dialogues though, so don't know if this would be too difficult to implement. It's just a thought, the mod does what it says and it is awesome. 🤟

Thanks for the feedback! It wouldn't be too difficult to implement, but it would contradict the "hooray hero!" start of SoD and it would also mean I'd have to disable the "PC's a hero" dialogues from the people in the city (they do hear about the PC saving the Dukes though). So I'm not sure I'll change it but I'll keep it in mind. Maybe I could make the hero cutscene another optional component. I'm not sure though. Thanks for the kind words!

EBG1 updates to v3!

Thank you @Lauriel for proof reading!

Version 3 comes with a proof read English version, a new component "Skip Thieves Maze once after Sarevok's Death", a splitted component "Short Public Hero Tribute" (formerly content of "More Flavor to Hero of Baldur's Gate"), more improvements for several components, and full compatibility with bg1re's Duke Eltan + Scar's Return quest!

Changes:

-English version proof read by Lauriel
-new component: "Skip Thieves Maze once after Sarevok's Death"
-new component "Short Public Hero Tribute" splitted from "More Flavor to Hero of Baldur's Gate"
-"Main component": upon transition to SoD, Duke Belt will not only tell the PC to follow him but also mention that the PC will seek out the last of Sarevok's followers; all nobles from coronation ceremony should be gone after Sarevok's death (added DestroySelf() to sarrun.bcs); quicker Fade To Black upon transition to SoD.
-"Sarevok's Sword": Sword will be removed from PC's chest and inventory upon transition to SoD to simulate the theft; journal entries get properly applied to journal (EE); additional journal entries when PC hears about the stolen sword (SoD/EET) and when it is found in Irenicus Dungeon (BGT/EET).
-"Duke Eltan is in the Palace": added full compatibility with bg1re's bonus quest "Scar's Return" (bg1re v3.0 or higher).
-corrected component descriptions for BGT (1st & 2nd component).
-added DESIGNATED and LABEL taggs.

Welcome!  Hope I did a good enough job.

I'll go through your code changes to see how it affects Transitions when I have a little time.  But thank you in advance for the DESIGNATED tags.  It was impossible for me to include/exclude certain components since I couldn't tell which number of Endless component to check, so I was just going to skip them entirely, like the treasurer.  Now I can scoop him into Transitions if Endless isn't already loaded.  Thank you!  Much appreciated. :)

Hello jastey!

I'm interested in this modification of yours and I plan to use it whenever I'm going to play my BGT game again (2020...2021...2022... Who knows? 😅) and I have a couple of suggestions:

1) SCS's improved End-of-BG1 Final Battle SCS's component (which I personally use) removes the traps from the Undercity Temple so I was wondering if you could account for that in your "Flaming Fist Healer come into Undercity Temple" so that there won't be a scout offering to remove traps.

This is the relevant .tp2 code from SCS:

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///  Improved C7 end-battle
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BEGIN @20047 DESIGNATED 7250 GROUP @16056
REQUIRE_PREDICATE !GAME_IS iwdee @50009
REQUIRE_COMPONENT "setup-stratagems.tp2" 5900 @16025
REQUIRE_PREDICATE GAME_IS ~bgt tutu tutu_totsc bgee eet~ @16001

LAF run STR_VAR file=sarevok location=sarevok END

2) About "Sarevok's Sword": there is a similar component for BGT in BGT Tweaks called "Put Sword of Chaos +2 in Sarevok's inventory" (component 27) which I used to install. Would it be possible to account for that component so that the sword you find using "Sarevok's Sword" will be that one? I like the idea that it will later on be stolen but I like a bit less not being able to use a perfectly functional sword wield in the last BG1 battle by Sarevok (especially considering "Sarevok's Unique Items" go completely the other way by allowing you to use both his armor and helmet)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Salk said:

1) SCS's improved End-of-BG1 Final Battle SCS's component (which I personally use) removes the traps from the Undercity Temple so I was wondering if you could account for that in your "Flaming Fist Healer come into Undercity Temple" so that there won't be a scout offering to remove traps.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I don't know about any possibility to check whether a trap was disarmed or not. Checking for the SCS component during install wouldn't work because of two reasons: 1. SCS is installed after EBG1, and even if not then, 2. the player could deinstall it midway, leaving the traps inside the Undercity temple. I could, however, rephrase what the FF scout says from "disarm the traps" to "disarm any remaining traps", then that should be covered.

1 hour ago, Salk said:

2) About "Sarevok's Sword": there is a similar component for BGT in BGT Tweaks called "Put Sword of Chaos +2 in Sarevok's inventory" (component 27) which I used to install. Would it be possible to account for that component so that the sword you find using "Sarevok's Sword" will be that one? I like the idea that it will later on be stolen but I like a bit less not being able to use a perfectly functional sword wield in the last BG1 battle by Sarevok (especially considering "Sarevok's Unique Items" go completely the other way by allowing you to use both his armor and helmet)

I do not understand "I like a bit less not being able to use a perfectly functional sword wield in the last BG1 battle by Sarevok", please rephrase. The EBG1 component does two things: it lets Sarevok drop a sword item the player cannot equip to anyone, and it lets this sword item be stolen the moment the group exits the thieves maze after defeating Sarevok. What the component does not is changing the actual sword Sarevok is using in the battle (which is undroppable).

Some more backstory: The "Sarevok's Sword" component from EBG1 is a story that is told in accordance with what the Djinni in Irenicus Dungeon tells the PC when he gives the sword back (that it was taken from the PC by the PC's "capturer"). For BGT, this component would not have been necessary. Would it be only BGT with the transition to BGII, I probably would have just let Sarevok drop the Chaos Sword myself. But: EBG1 also takes the happenings of SoD into account. And here, the story is that the sword was stolen *before* the PC was kidnapped. That is why I coded in the Djinni. I learnt *then* that in SoD the story is that it is stolen out of the Ducal Palace without the PC knowing about it. The inconsistency between this and the original remark of the Djinni is one of those little slips in SoD from the original story I will not talk about further. But that made me change the component for SoD, where now the PC can hand over the sword to the Dukes to get a reward. For BGT, I left in the Djinni incident because it was already coded.

The player has to decide upon installation whether they want to see  the story of the EBG1 component, or whether they want to be able to use the Chaos Sword after Sarevok's death until the BGII transition, and install the appropriate mods. I will not, however, mix this component with content of other mods.

Hello again!

13 hours ago, jastey said:

I don't know about any possibility to check whether a trap was disarmed or not.

The check should be for whether they exist at all or not actually. I am very rusty with scripting and I forgot practically everything but could a simple Exists("Trap1") work? If not, I guess your workaround is our best option.

13 hours ago, jastey said:

I do not understand "I like a bit less not being able to use a perfectly functional sword wield in the last BG1 battle by Sarevok", please rephrase.

Oh what I mean was simply that the Sword of Chaos used by Sarevok isn't an ornamental/lore only item but rather a sword you are going to use later on. It doesn't seem internally very consistent that the first time you cannot use it and then you find it again and then it's perfectly usable.

Cheers!

Edited by Salk
22 minutes ago, Salk said:

It doesn't seem internally very consistent that the first time you cannot use it and then you find it again and then it's perfectly usable.

It does in the mod, if the PC listens to the mumblings of the djinni. ;)

24 minutes ago, Salk said:

could a simple Exists("Trap 1") work

Hm, if the traps are indeed removed then probably, then also Range("trapname",1000) should suffice to detect them.

Thanks for your interest in my queries, jastey.

2 hours ago, jastey said:

It does in the mod, if the PC listens to the mumblings of the djinni. ;)

Excellent!

2 hours ago, jastey said:

Hm, if the traps are indeed removed then probably, then also Range("trapname",1000) should suffice to detect them.

I'm not completely sure how DavidW did it but here's his code for it:

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION sarevok_traps BEGIN

LAF edit_area STR_VAR area= ~%Undercity_TempleofBhaal%~ editstring="delete_trigger=>~trigger_type=0~" END

END

UPDATE: jastey, I can confirm you that the traps are completely removed from the area after installing that component.

Edited by Salk