Split from: NTotSC for EET (and BGT and BG:EE) - Download

Guest Arthas

Trying to keep the original thread on a consctructive discussion level, I split these posts off. Original thread is here. - jastey

Why the fuck would you correct journal entries and dialogue holes? That s where the author put most of the time. If you corrected that you would be watering down the original experience. Choose the original version, not jastey one

If one is for preserving the experience, he would not choose a refined version. It s a matter of coherence. Either you get pleased by the old version or by the new.

Because the old version contains actual bugs, shitforbrains.

Exactly. No one's insulting anyone. Arthass knows he's got shit for brains and he's come to accept it as a fact of life. ;)

Arthass, I don't need to be coherent when I'm conversing with shitheads. You gotta clear all the shit out of your head first before you can be taken seriously, darling.

@Arthas I appreciate the notion of coming to my defence.

I will, however, stop discussing this topic with a guest poster that takes so much effort in hiding their identity. Thank you for speaking up as a voice of critique or whatever, but if this is an important matter to you, speak with your name.

22 minutes ago, Guest -me- said:

LOL. This type of ridiculous reasoning can also be used the other way around.  What's stopping you from forking it and making your own Bambi version of NTotSC? Do you really want every player to start forking the mod and have a million different versions of NTotSC floating around the internet?

FYI, I did exactly that.  That what GitHub is actually designed for, you know.  Then I offered my changes back to Jastey explaining exactly what they did, and they thought them good enough to be included.  Again, this is what GitHub was designed for.

And I am done arguing with you, as it is quite obvious that you have no contribution to make and nothing positive will come of it.  Wallow in your "Wah-wah-wah, you changed it, now it sucks!" if you must, see if I care.

I didn't say anything about pushing your changes back to the master repository, genius.  You could've kept your Bambi version as a separate branch.  And the reason they included your changes were mostly out of politeness; they simply were not aware of the entire context of the mod's history.  Obviously, if you knew what you were doing, you would've sent those changes while making sure to also not stray away from the original vision of the mod.  Pity you don't.

But you go ahead and keep sending in more nerfs. Better to have that than no contribution, right?

The funny thing is I barely even this SubtleDumbDumb fellow.  The fact that he remembers me and followed me into the thread should tell you he's still reeling over the verbal spanking I administered to him the last time.

Take a chill pill and sit down, "Doc"  :)

1 hour ago, Isewein said:

But then again, they could just play story mode, so I really don't see where you get this fear of a plot to gradually dumb down BG mods. It seems to me you are mistakenly projecting professional industry trends on the modding community.

But don't you know, when a mod fight is too difficult for you, donating a considerable amount of your personal time to write an actually balanced encounter, test it, publish it on GitHub and then somehow mind-controlling the maintainer into accepting your changes is so much easier than just control-Y-ing or story-moding past it, or not playing with the broken mod in the first place... 😉

Ah, the rewards of modding, all that time and effort just to be on the receiving end of the ire of someone who doesn't agree with the choices you had to make...

Anyone who'd take a cursory look at my Encounters & Quests mod would know better than to think I'm in some sort of secret plot to dumb down all the mods. ^^

Ah, the rewards of modding, all that time and effort just to be on the receiving end of the ire of someone who doesn't agree with the choices you had to make...

Anyone who'd take a cursory look at my Encounters & Quests mod would know better than to think I'm in some sort of secret plot to dumb down all the mods.

Angel, my man, in all seriousness, I do sincerely appreciate you putting in the effort.  I don't have anything against you.  By all means, continue doing what you're doing.  But at the same time, please don't discard the spirit and vision of the mod.  Admittedly, it's tough to do both, but that is par for the course.

53 minutes ago, Guest -me- said:

By all means, continue doing what you're doing.  But at the same time, please don't discard the spirit and vision of the mod.

This has already been said but it bears repeating. This not only assumes that your own vision is closer to what the original modders intended (always a hard guess), but that there is some sort of moral obligation to stay close to what allegedly the original modders intended, or to use your own phrase "for the sake of preserving the integrity of the mod". Now at this point, you could retort that if current maintainers are not willing to preserve "the integrity of the mod" why even give it the same name? Once again, this assumes that crazy-stat creatures and the implied item arms-race is integral to the mod, which is disputed. It may be integral to *your experience of the mod*, but judging by the reactions of many others, it is not to them.

And at the end of the day, he who pays the piper chooses the tune. Don't like the work these people have done? Don't use it. It is not like you payed for it. Think you can do better -- whatever better means in your own judgment? Fork the repo and do the work. You can whine, moan and groan all day long, clutter the combox with your visionary ramblings, and maybe Jastey, Angel and whoever else is working on this may even pick up a thing or two (why would they is beyond me, and not because of your extremely rude behaviour, but because of the disparity of visions), but if there is no one willing to embody your vision, tough luck, all you get to do is to play the Active Complainer. Most modders, and most BG2 players I would wager, simply do not favor these old-style tactical mods anymore. Tactics-cheese-a-mole is fun for a while and then... well, pick your favorite metaphor for things turning sour.