Split from: NTotSC for EET (and BGT and BG:EE) - Download

Guest Arthas

4 minutes ago, Guest -me- said:

Did I say ignore all player feedback and complaints and leave it unchanged for all eternity?  Again, go back and re-read the earlier posts.

Follow your own advice please, and try to understand what a total jerk you have been to anyone who presents an opinion differing from your own.

Now, I thank you for at least making your last few posts in a civil manner.  As Jastey and others have already told you several times, we heard you the first time, you don't have to keep repeating yourself.  And you definitely don't have to insult anyone who presents a differing opinion, or merely tries to explain why they did what they did.

You're not paying us, we don't owe you anything at all.  You don't get to make demands of us.  You are free to make whatever suggestions you want as long as you can do so in a civil tone, and don't throw around petty insults if we do not agree on it and don't hop to implementing your vision of the mod immediately.

LOL, here we go with this whole 'you don't pay us, you don't get to demand' angle...

How about you brilliant folks stop rewording and repeating the same arguments back to me, first?  As I said, I don't doubt the sincerity in your statement that you put in a lot of time to make the mod better.  It's not about why you made the changes you did, it's about how you made those changes.  There is room for both game balance and historicity & preservation.

2 hours ago, Guest -me- said:

How about you brilliant folks stop rewording and repeating the same arguments back to me, first?  As I said, I don't doubt the sincerity in your statement that you put in a lot of time to make the mod better.  It's not about why you made the changes you did, it's about how you made those changes.  There is room for both game balance and historicity & preservation.

You are getting the same responses because you are going off on the same tangent each and every time.  "You are violating the spirit/history of the mod yada-yada..."  You were heard the first time, you know.  Don't like the replies you are getting?  Stop bringing the same subject up.  Don't like the changes that are made?  Go ahead and show that you can do better, and let the players be the judge.  And nah, not holding my breath for that to happen.

I tried to explain what I did and why I did it, and your none too subtle reaction was to call me an "inexperienced buffoon", when I had done exactly nothing to you.  And judging by Arthas' and subtledocter's reactions to you, this is far from the first time you did something like that.

You say you don't mind changes being made, yet you moan and whine at every single one of them, or even at suggested ones that have yet to be implemented, let alone seen in action.  All the while without offering any input on what a "good" change would be, in your opinion, other than this vagueness about this "spirit of the mod" that is highly subjective.  Have you even played the mod at all in its current state?

Bottom line is I don't need your approval for anything, period.  If you think you can do better, put up or shut up.  Until then, I'm done with you.

4 hours ago, Angel said:

You are free to make whatever suggestions you want as long as you can do so in a civil tone, and don't throw around petty insults if we do not agree on it and don't hop to implementing your vision of the mod immediately.

This guy hasn’t presented any vision, any actual productive suggestions... only whinging and insults I haven’t heard since grade school. 

I gave three actual suggestions for what to do with the “lesser tanar’ri” enemy. The suggestions:

— are technically feasible

— are appropriate for the PCs’ level 

— are appropriate for the storyline

— are still challenging

— are *actual* lesser tanar’ri (in two cases - the third is a greater tanar’ri which I thought -me- would like) and are otherwise more or less PnP-accurate

I’m not dictating - just brainstorming. Have better ideas? Share! That’s the way you convince a modder: inspire them with a vision that is cool. I know I have made a bunch of mod components based on ideas suggested by readers. So have most other modders. Come up with good ideas, and you just might see them made real. Name-calling won’t get you anywhere. (Except, arguably, in the case of TOB.)

Edited by subtledoctor
5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

That’s the way you convince a modder: inspire them with a vision that is cool. I know I have made a bunch of mod components based on ideas suggested by readers. So have most other modders. Come up with good ideas, and you just might see them made real. Name-calling won’t get you anywhere. (Except, arguably, in the case of TOB.)

Indeed, my item pack and spell pack contain a number of things that were suggested to me by other people.  Not to mention a very nice new animation that someone went through the trouble creating specifically for a spell I wanted to implement.  And I have gotten several useful suggestions for my encounters mod too.  Even bringing up a bit of lore can be interesting, like someone pointing me to the canonical existence of a ghost dragon in the Candlekeep catacombs.  Now I am not rushing off to program a super-hard ghost dragon encounter, but it being there in some way might be something I will explore.

Not everything has to be a super-hard encounter to be memorable, for example the dopplegangers in Candlekeep are fairly easy but I like them for the way they mess with the protagonist's (and by extension the player's) head.  Who can you trust anymore after something like that?  I'm always imagining my PC to feel a thorough understanding for what Durlag must have gone through after having this experience themselves.

Edited by Angel

Look, it seems you're still upset that I pointed out the absurdity in the direction you're taking the mod into. So when all your arguments were shut down, your only response while backed into a corner is to come up with nonsensical arguments like "yeah? well I don't get paid to do this" or "go ahead and make your own version and show it's better".

It's obvious you don't understand the importance of preservation. So when you insist on doing stupid things, expect to be ridiculed for it.

You are right about one thing though.  You don't need my approval to turn the mod into a joke.  By all means, be my guest.  Go wild with these nerfs and turn each enemy into a character from The Muppets.

As for subtledoctor, I barely remember who this dimwit is.  I do recall giving him a verbal beatdown some time back. Must be the reason why he keeps following me.

2 hours ago, Guest -me- said:

Look, it seems you're still upset that I pointed out the absurdity in the direction you're taking the mod into. So when all your arguments were shut down [...]

Dude, you have not "shut down" anything at all.  You've not even been able to make your point in a consistent manner.  All you are doing is painting yourself as an immature crybaby who's upset the modders won't follow your "vision" of this mod (whatever it is), and people are reacting accordingly.  You've been nothing but rude and obnoxious from the start, and despite several attempts at civil discussion have not been able to come up with any positive contribution whatsoever, always resorting to whining and throwing petty insults when you are not getting your way.  News flash, it's not getting you anywhere.  But that's exactly what frustrates you, isn't it?

Let's see now, who is ridiculing me?  One anonymous troll who has probably not written a single mod in his entire life.  If you seriously think that upsets me, when I have already gotten the praise from many people here, several of whom are well-known and respected modders themselves, then you have indeed chosen your nickname well because you sure are full of yourself.

Now excuse me, I've got some actual contributions to make to the community.

Again, it's not my problem if you don't understand where you're going wrong.  The only crybaby here is you when you say 'waah, waah! this is too difficult. I'm going to rewrite this character into a softie.'

Look at yourself.  It's obvious you cannot handle criticism.  The fact that you keep saying you're done with me and yet you keep responding to me shows I struck a nerve there.  And your only defense mechanism is to pull rank and claim you're not getting paid for this. As if someone forced you to do this.  Or the tried-and-tested comeback - demand the person giving criticism to come up with a mod.  Yeah, you sure got me there, buddy.  By that reasoning, anyone giving an opinion or a review for a book or a car should first create one themselves... Okay, genius.

Maybe you should take a page out of Jastey's book.  She was smart enough to stop repeating herself and decided to agree to disagree.  Sadly, in your case, your insecurity trumps over your skill.  Pity.