Bugs, issues, or suggestions?

16 minutes ago, Daeros_Trollkiller said:

Usually that type of thing happens when the dialogue file gets messed up. 

No. It happens when an undefined string used originally in the game you base your mod in is featured in a new game. Take for example, you take the original BG1, you copy a file from it, paste it to your mod file, and then install using weidu the mod that copies that over. It will have plenty of strings that might go all over the place. To fix that, you need to restring all the strings to the new dialog.tlk file using weidu functions.

So are you sure there are no strings you don't rebind ?

1 minute ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

No. It happens when an undefined string used originally in the game you base your mod in is featured in a new game. Take for example, you take the original BG1, you copy a file from it, paste it to your mod file, and then install using weidu the mod that copies that over. It will have plenty of strings that might go all over the place. To fix that, you need to restring all the strings to the new dialog.tlk file using weidu functions.

So are you sure there are no strings you don't rebind ?

Thanks for providing the detail, that's what I was referring to, but couldn't put it as eloquently :)

No missing strings that I am aware of.  I can't replicate his issue on a clean install.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:47 PM, Daeros_Trollkiller said:

I've had other reports of this from folks, but I cant reliably re-create it.  Did you import a character or a saved game from SoD when you started your new game?  For what it's worth, all this component does is set the flag for each item to "true" - the rest relies on the already existing code from Beamdog to place the items.

No, this occurred with importing from bg1 or starting new in bg2.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:32 AM, Daeros_Trollkiller said:

Interesting that you are having issues with the Avatar Morphing script.  I relied on it a lot when making the mod to test appearances of the new items I created.  Never ran into the issue you mention.  Usually that type of thing happens when the dialogue file gets messed up.  I'm not saying it couldn't be my mod, but I would wager its another mod that's the source of the issue.

As far as OP items go, I specifically set out to *not* create those, and thus far, you are the only person to comment that anything was OP.  I'd like to hear exactly what about these items/effects is OP in your opinion.

Lastly, not everyone likes everything, there are plenty of mods I don't care for out there too :)

ah, yes it could be some other mod ofc. i just thought the bug would be in one of the 2 at hand. im also using several parts of the tweaks anthology and the ascension mod. ascension does a lot to dialogue so it might be rooted there.

balance whise, i think some things actually could be tweaked quite easily and might even seem more balanced to you if i point them out:

the ioun stone with the aoe no safe blind should be a safe on it imo.

some icewind dale items i really like here (the thief boots with + stealth and + ac, just stealth boots just never cut it and they are quite neat until you get more boots of speed)
but shimmering sash shouldnt be in bg i think. its to strong. belt slot is really underused in baldurs gate and there are only strength belts and the green anti magic belt in the main game which are good. adding this one gives your team a huge boost. (might seem small but +3 ac on my tank that cant be dispelled.. yeah)

i mean its all a tough thing balancing this out: just by adding items to the game, youre making the game easier. but adding only items that are worse than the ones in the main game just doesnt make sense since you would just not use them. so the trick is to add unique items that fill some nishes that dont make the game to easy. and maybe make some items or weapon classes a bit better to be comparable to the good stuff in bg2

these are the items that come to my mind, ill check the list and see if anything strikes my immediately: 

1) kossuths blood. period. this item cannot be in the game imo. with robe of vexna and amulet of power you get to a maximum of -5 casting time. tuning this up to -7 changes the game drastically with time stop + improved alacrity and allows to insta spamm spells with casting time of 6 and 7 additionally. adding more casting time buffs is getting exponentially better.
2) kontiks ring of wizardry. lvl 2 spellslots are too good. the ring from bg1 would work since lvl 1 spellslots arent that impactful in bg2 but lvl 2 is just so many really good spells

3) ulcaster academy ring/eidons ring of wizardry. i dont remember correctly but i think one of these doubles lvl 5 spellslots? i would have to playtest but seems to good with robe of vexxna. for these wizard items, ive seen you changed the enchantment level of soome items, maybe you can tone these down to just give + 2 spellslots of the certain level and make kossuths blood only -1 casting time? its just that arcane casters are already so op in baldurs gate and these items make them so much better..
4) summoners staff +3 - i dont have problems with this item but its accessible to early. at the time, the things it offers seem a bit to handy.
(reading the spoilers, seeing you gave anomen an innate once per day, love it. maybe ill give him a chance again one day lol)

5) horned helm of dunation - not sure about this one but it allows a lot of classes to reach 100% physical dmg immunity that would not be able to without it
6) belt of the blademaster 20% is a lot, would prefer 15. and +2 thaco on offhand is nothing. could easily make it +4 since only 1/4 or 1/5 attacks is offhand if you max out apr. 
7) elements fury: last time i created this i was really happy to get a +4 throwing dagger. but it didnt use strength bonus, making it worse in some cases than the dagger used for it. was this intentional to tone it down? i think it could be using strength bonus and then maybe needs some balancing on the effects. throwing daggers without str bonus feels a bit anticlimactic though :)

8 )  wicked jester bracers: the effect being party-friendly and -4 on saves makes this an allround always good ability to cc a large crowd. allowing this to hit your own group would make it a bit trickier to use. 

9) sorceres cap & chapeau: same thing. adding this with kossuths blood would allow to insta use casting time 9 spells. with imrpoved alacrity i can spamm horrid wiltings. 
10) asters edge +4: i dont have a problem with this item but it combined with the dragon scale armors adds a lot of magic dmg resistance to the game, letting one char easily reach 100% resistance. i think it should have another effect, not making it so easy to become immune to horrid wiltings.

11) acid etched boomerang dagger - didnt test this but probably doesnt use str bonus as well? pliss give :D

ooh and i remembered one issue: the dervish crescent item line is a bit perculiar to use in akathla outside: killing an enemy might trigger the fireshield red and its considered a spellcast, not an item effect. thus triggering the mages to appear and attack you for casting spells in the city. can you somehow change this effect to a non spell effect? (i think this would require to make a new "spell" whith the fireshield red effect and let the item do that "spell" which should not be considered a spell.)

On 2/7/2022 at 5:37 PM, Guest eamon said:

ah, yes it could be some other mod ofc. i just thought the bug would be in one of the 2 at hand. im also using several parts of the tweaks anthology and the ascension mod. ascension does a lot to dialogue so it might be rooted there.

balance whise, i think some things actually could be tweaked quite easily and might even seem more balanced to you if i point them out:

the ioun stone with the aoe no safe blind should be a safe on it imo.

some icewind dale items i really like here (the thief boots with + stealth and + ac, just stealth boots just never cut it and they are quite neat until you get more boots of speed)
but shimmering sash shouldnt be in bg i think. its to strong. belt slot is really underused in baldurs gate and there are only strength belts and the green anti magic belt in the main game which are good. adding this one gives your team a huge boost. (might seem small but +3 ac on my tank that cant be dispelled.. yeah)

i mean its all a tough thing balancing this out: just by adding items to the game, youre making the game easier. but adding only items that are worse than the ones in the main game just doesnt make sense since you would just not use them. so the trick is to add unique items that fill some nishes that dont make the game to easy. and maybe make some items or weapon classes a bit better to be comparable to the good stuff in bg2

these are the items that come to my mind, ill check the list and see if anything strikes my immediately: 

1) kossuths blood. period. this item cannot be in the game imo. with robe of vexna and amulet of power you get to a maximum of -5 casting time. tuning this up to -7 changes the game drastically with time stop + improved alacrity and allows to insta spamm spells with casting time of 6 and 7 additionally. adding more casting time buffs is getting exponentially better.
2) kontiks ring of wizardry. lvl 2 spellslots are too good. the ring from bg1 would work since lvl 1 spellslots arent that impactful in bg2 but lvl 2 is just so many really good spells

3) ulcaster academy ring/eidons ring of wizardry. i dont remember correctly but i think one of these doubles lvl 5 spellslots? i would have to playtest but seems to good with robe of vexxna. for these wizard items, ive seen you changed the enchantment level of soome items, maybe you can tone these down to just give + 2 spellslots of the certain level and make kossuths blood only -1 casting time? its just that arcane casters are already so op in baldurs gate and these items make them so much better..
4) summoners staff +3 - i dont have problems with this item but its accessible to early. at the time, the things it offers seem a bit to handy.
(reading the spoilers, seeing you gave anomen an innate once per day, love it. maybe ill give him a chance again one day lol)

5) horned helm of dunation - not sure about this one but it allows a lot of classes to reach 100% physical dmg immunity that would not be able to without it
6) belt of the blademaster 20% is a lot, would prefer 15. and +2 thaco on offhand is nothing. could easily make it +4 since only 1/4 or 1/5 attacks is offhand if you max out apr. 
7) elements fury: last time i created this i was really happy to get a +4 throwing dagger. but it didnt use strength bonus, making it worse in some cases than the dagger used for it. was this intentional to tone it down? i think it could be using strength bonus and then maybe needs some balancing on the effects. throwing daggers without str bonus feels a bit anticlimactic though :)

8 )  wicked jester bracers: the effect being party-friendly and -4 on saves makes this an allround always good ability to cc a large crowd. allowing this to hit your own group would make it a bit trickier to use. 

9) sorceres cap & chapeau: same thing. adding this with kossuths blood would allow to insta use casting time 9 spells. with imrpoved alacrity i can spamm horrid wiltings. 
10) asters edge +4: i dont have a problem with this item but it combined with the dragon scale armors adds a lot of magic dmg resistance to the game, letting one char easily reach 100% resistance. i think it should have another effect, not making it so easy to become immune to horrid wiltings.

11) acid etched boomerang dagger - didnt test this but probably doesnt use str bonus as well? pliss give :D

ooh and i remembered one issue: the dervish crescent item line is a bit perculiar to use in akathla outside: killing an enemy might trigger the fireshield red and its considered a spellcast, not an item effect. thus triggering the mages to appear and attack you for casting spells in the city. can you somehow change this effect to a non spell effect? (i think this would require to make a new "spell" whith the fireshield red effect and let the item do that "spell" which should not be considered a spell.)

Thank you for the feedback! my rebuttal:

1. Kossuth's blood - The Amulet of Power, which exists in vanilla BG2 has a -1 casting speed property.  Is and additional reduction of one point really that big of a deal?

2. Kontik's ring of wizardry - That's why it's a randomized, no guarantee of getting it, unless you keep reloading saves, which defeats the purpose, since you are metagaming anyway.

3. Summoner's Staff +3 - IMO it really isn't really that big of a deal with monster summoning wands all over the place.

5. Horned Helm of Dumathoin - Could you provide an example of how a character would get to 100% resistance with this?

6. Belt of the Blademaster - noted, will take it under consideration.

7. Dagger of Elements - I will check on this one, I wasn't aware it didn't have the STR bonus applied.

8. Wicked Jester's Bracers - noted, I may restrict it further to Jesters only.

9. Sorc's cap/Chapeau - I'll have to look further into these casting time issues.  This is why I really don't like the HLA's in BG2 and use mods to turn them off when I play.  They just break the game and gear progression in my opinion.

10. Aster's Edge +4 - Maybe so, but it's pretty easy to get to 100% fire, cold, etc... too.  But not all of them at the same time.

11. See #7.

I would like to suggest to change and expand the readme for the next release. Mainly to describe the contents of the mod, component per component, so we know exactly what we are installing. Right now it's a little too brief. Also, for visual changes, please include comparison screenshots.

Plus, I would suggest making the new spells (those not from IWD) an optional component.

I am trying to install SoD2BG2 IU along with some other Item and spell content mods (Rogue Rebalancing, Item Revisions, Spell Revisions, IWD spells from SCS, and some orher item content mods...). I have hard time organising the loard order to minimize warnings... I have a lot of warnings when i install Sod2BG2 IU and i really don't know where to place this mod and to understand if those warnings need to be considered or not.

If anyone could give a look ; i join  a condensed debug file.

Debug-test.txt

Edited by Mordekaie
On 4/4/2020 at 7:42 PM, Guest Noober said:

This sounds like a great mod thx!  But What's the installation order? 

Can I Just install it  on top of my other  mods and use it in my current playthrough ?

Install order with other mods depends on the mods, as mine doesn't currently play well when installed after things like thrown hammers.  Generally speaking I recommend installing my mod first, unless you installing on EET, then it should be installed after EET setup is done.

2 hours ago, Quester said:

@Daeros_Trollkiller

Could you make a list of the file names or IDS names for all the new spells you added?

This in order to be able to add some or all spells (at least divine ones) to the spheres of Faiths and Pantheons.

All of that is in the tp2:

WIZARD_DANCING_LIGHTS
WIZARD_DARKNESS_15_FOOT
CLERIC_FAERIE_FIRE
INNATE_SHINING_BOLT
CLERIC_GRASPING_SHADOWS
CLERIC_CAUSTIC_QUAGMIRE
WIZARD_CONJURE_DEATH
WIZARD_THUNDER_THRUST
WIZARD_TROLLKILLERS_FIREBALL
CLERIC_HOAR_OF_FROST
CLERIC_PENETRATING_COLD
WIZARD_CORROSION
WIZARD_INFERNAL_BONE_SHIELD
WIZARD_FELL_RAGE
CLERIC_SHADOW_BOLT
WIZARD_MULTI_FIREBALL
WIZARD_SLIME_GOLEM
WIZARD_CATACLYSM
WIZARD_MAELSTROM
CLERIC_SHAR_EMBRACE
WIZARD_HOLOCAUST
CLERIC_ENT_SUMMON
CLERIC_CRUSHING_EARTH
WIZARD_CAUSTIC_SHELL
WIZARD_ANTIPODE
WIZARD_FLAME_VORTICE
CLERIC_SUNDERING_VITRIOL
CLERIC_DEVOURING_DARKNESS
WIZARD_FROZEN_DEATH
CLERIC_CONJURE_SHADOW_ELEMENTAL

Edited by Daeros_Trollkiller

Still working on my EET install and giving a new try with your mod. The first component is not installed (probably a conflict with an another mod) :

[override/YYCut2a.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 12 column 1-21
Near Text: %YOSHIMO_RACE_WRAITH%
    syntax error
[override/YYCut2a.baf]  ERROR at line 12 column 1-21
Near Text: %YOSHIMO_RACE_WRAITH%
    Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [override/YYCut2a.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: error compiling [override/YYCut2a.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: compiling [override/YYCut2a.baf]!
Stopping installation because of error.
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR Installing [SoD to BG2:EE Item upgrade by Daeros_Trollkiller], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 1011 files for [sod2bg2_iu\sod2bg2_iu.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled    1011 files for [sod2bg2_iu\sod2bg2_iu.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error
Please make a backup of the file: Setup-sod2bg2_iu.debug and look for support at: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/forum/214-sod-to-bg2ee-item-upgrade/
Automatically Skipping [SoD to BG2:EE Item upgrade by Daeros_Trollkiller] because of error.
Using Language [English]
[.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 566014 string entries
NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS SoD to BG2:EE Item upgrade by Daeros_Trollkiller

Any idea ?

ProjectInfinity-WeiDU-Error-sod2bg2_iu-0.log Setup-sod2bg2_iu.7z