New soundsets...

I thought it was just naming conventions until the posting in this thread.  Apparently there are some volume issues, though I never noticed any.  If so, do we know of any commandline wav tools (if such things exist)?

Correct me if I say something stupid, but why the need? My Kido NPC talked to soft at first as well. I just boosted his sound through audacity. Converted the files to .ogg to save space and made an own .bat file to unpack back into .wav. This triggered by a .tp2 and setup-(fill in).exe. It worked perfectly. You can hear him much better.

Not sure whether this has been addressed, but the "rare" selection sounds for BG2 are not rare at all.

In BG1, you had to click through an NPCs soundset about 3 or 4 times entirely before hearing their "rare" sounds. It was basically an easter egg, much like Warcraft/Starcraft/probably other games. If you moved, selected another party member, or anything, they'd default back to normal sounds and you wouldn't hear the rare ones.

In BG2, they're not "hidden" at all, they just happen less often. Case in point: Mur'Neth and Chloe.

Both have goofy sounds for their "rare" selections, which totally seems out of place in the game. "Lucy says hi," is one of Chloe's rare sounds, for example. Lucy being the writer of the mod. If this were an easter-eggish sound as in BG1, I'd be cool with it, but when I hear it while fighting Irenicus in hell, it sucks. Mur'Neth has an optional component that removes these sounds, which is why he rocks.

Meira: No, it's not the exporting process. IWD/IWD2 sounds are softer than BG/BG2 sounds.

Grim: I don't think an automated program would really work, because IWD/IWD2 don't use the same kinds of sounds as BG/BG2 do. They don't have anything for pickpocket, and only the new IWD2 soundsets have clips for critical hit. There are also two choices for "becoming leader" in IWD/2, more battle cries, nothing for "hide in shadows", etc. Often another sound can be used for a BG2 sound, but not always. In other words, a certain amount of human judgment comes into play.

Besides naming, volume needs to be changed. IWD sounds need to be boosted slightly to sound right in BG2, and more than that to sound right in BG. Whether compressed or uncompressed, it's the same. I'm remaking all the IWD2 soundsets for BG2, and plan on going through again later to make them sound right in BG. I'm recompressing them into .wavc format when I'm done. I'm up to Female Mage 1 now.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a program that can do batch volume boosting?

I keep getting an "Anonymous User Unknown" error when trying to grab these. :bday:

When you click on an FTP link (which is what the links in my original post are), what program does the link open in? IE, Netscape, Firefox, another web browser, CuteFTP, another FTP client?

Double-check whichever program is opening the link, make sure it enters a proper anonymous login for FTP sites. The username should be "anonymous", without the quotes, and the password should be your Email address (i.e. blah@hotmail.com).

There has been some talk lately of recording some new soundsets for BG2.  I was wondering if there were any types of voices that were missing from the standard BG2 ones.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well I did a scottish voicepack, from the sounds of a Scottish character (Rewdalf) from the game Bandits: Pheonix Rising. Works great with dwarves or halflings with an attitude. I lack hosting though.

Well I did a scottish voicepack, from the sounds of a Scottish character (Rewdalf) from the game Bandits: Pheonix Rising. Works great with dwarves or halflings with an attitude. I lack hosting though.

PPG has a section for Soundsets. Or, you can always get some free web space from Geocities, Tripod, 50megs, or a slew of other providers. When all else fails, up the sound pack to FilePlanet.

QUOTE(Grim Squeaker @ Mar 20 2005, 01:52 PM)

QUOTE(Raven @ Mar 19 2005, 08:40 PM)

Anyone know of any good female soundsets with accents? I appreciate the help in advance. Preferably a fighter type, but spellcasters would be good to. And thieves.

Ok, now that was surreal. I used to use that avatar for a very long time...

And you look so unfamiliar without it...

@ Grim Squeaker. You can have it back if you want it. :) Just as soon as I figure out how to operate this thing. Stupid computer. :)

Archived