Trying to modify this mod and came up with some errors I can't find a solution to

Hi All,

I tried to install the mods earlier today and got some errors:

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [spwi303d.spl] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [sppr951d.itm] not found in KEY file:
    [./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.

I've attached the SETUP-SPELL_REV.DEBUG file.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

SETUP-SPELL_REV.zip

1 hour ago, apprenticepeng said:

Hi All,

I tried to install the mods earlier today

No, you didn't. You ran a program that tried... 

WeiDU v 24600 Log

Setup-spell_rev.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view --force-install-list 0 10 20 30 40 50 55 60 --logapp

...there's a HUGE difference. I would try to start from --change-log'ging the "spwi303.spl" -file.

8 minutes ago, apprenticepeng said:

Update:  Roxanne from the BEW gave me the 2 files (SPPR951D.SPL and spwi303d.spl). I put them into the override folder as advised and this issue is solved, for now. 

Looking at just spwi303d here: according to your debug file, spwi303 (Flame Arrow) and its associated files were never installed. This later causes a crash in the install when a different part of the component has assumed that it was indeed installed. Did you disable SR's Flame Arrow from being installed?

Edited by Bartimaeus

It might help everyone if you would mark what changes you made and how they pop up errors and help to tell how to avoid doing so. And if you alter the .tp2 file or any of the files, you are technically no longer installing the Spell Revision v4b18 any more. And claiming so just make you look bad.

As in, the files are not independent, but rely on each others dependently and so making cheese of one, will make cheese of others and avoiding doing so would help you not make cheese of the whole milk. After all, the whey is where the wheel is.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
5 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

It might help everyone if you would mark what changes you made and how they pop up errors and help to tell how to avoid doing so. As in, the files are not independent, but rely on each others dependently and so making cheese of one, will make cheese of others and avoiding doing so would help you not make cheese of the whole milk. After all, the whey is where the wheel is.

The main (only?) thing that I've tweaked is the attached main_component.tpa file. The reason is that I prefer to use some of the vanilla spells. 

I'm also wondering if I can move the sequencers and some of the epic spells back to my spell book? I remember SCS has this option available so that people can choose if the game should treat the epic spells as innate abilities or not.

main_component.tpa

Sequencers are still memorizable spells in SR (though with a new "universal" school). I am not sure about whether or not HLAs are moved to innate by SR.

In regards to crossing out spells from being modified by SR, that's possible in theory, but...because of a lot of various addons over the years, may be more difficult in practice.

Edited by Bartimaeus
4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sequencers are still memorizable spells in SR (though with a new "universal" school). I am not sure about whether or not HLAs are moved to innate by SR.

Can you talk about the SRR also, cause you know it's situation better than this nerd here.

12 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Can you talk about the SRR also, cause you know it's situation better than this nerd here.

To be totally honest, I'm not sure. HLAs in spellbooks is ludicrously dumb for at least a couple of reasons, and I haven't had it that way for years and years. There used to be a single-purpose mod to changing HLAs to innate abilities on Spellhold Studios that you could install, but then SCS added it as an option, and I've always installed that since.

So I just checked, and SR (and SRR) do indeed set them to innate abilities. Alright then. I guess at some point between then and now, SR also decided to do that. I can hardly fault it, although I might've left it as an optional-but-recommended component.

Edited by Bartimaeus
3 hours ago, apprenticepeng said:

The main (only?) thing that I've tweaked is the attached main_component.tpa file. The reason is that I prefer to use some of the vanilla spells. 

I'm also wondering if I can move the sequencers and some of the epic spells back to my spell book? I remember SCS has this option available so that people can choose if the game should treat the epic spells as innate abilities or not.

main_component.tpa 144.75 kB · 0 downloads

No Armor of Faith, Unholy Blight/Holy Smite, Harm, Grease, Obscuring Mist, Invisibility, Chaos Shield, Remove Magic, Flame Arrow, Haste, Invisibility Sphere, Slow, Skull Trap, Melf's Minute Meteors, Improved Invisibility, Stoneskin, Greater Malison, Emotion: Despair, Dispelling Screen, Spell Shield, Mislead, Improved Haste, Project Image, Improved Chaos Shield, Simulacrum, and Horrid Wilting.

I'm surprised you didn't run into more errors, to be honest. Just the two is pretty good.

Edited by Bartimaeus
7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm surprised you didn't run into more errors, to be honest. Just the two is pretty good.

I did, actually. Disabling Dispelling Screen prevented some SCS components from being installed. But, like Jarno Mikkola said:

11 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

if you alter the .tp2 file or any of the files, you are technically no longer installing the Spell Revision v4b18 any more. And claiming so just make you look bad.

I guess shouldn't post those errors here. It's funny; all I did was adding a few /* ... */ as suggested in the README file. And all of a sudden this made me look bad. 

"Hooray, Oracle will no longer be changed when you install the mod! If you have any questions or require assistance with any of the above, feel free to drop me a line in the forum."

Then again, the README file is outdated and the link in it is a dead one.

I was just trying find a better way to pick the spells I like without causing too much error during the installation process.

Now come to think of it, why the heck did I even bother? I'm only messing with this old old old game because the city-wide quarantine is driving me crazy.  I don't even know if I will have the time to enjoy the modded game after they lift the quarantine. There will be so many catch-ups to do.

Tweaking and playing the old game used to make me happy. Well... I guess everyone has to move on.

Well, you might want to rethink your approach, if I explain this a little better...

See your TOPIC title says the use of the current version and that you have an error in it. Now, did you install the native mod without any tools assistance or modifications ? Nope. This makes the entire MOD look BAD.

Now, there's this thing called complete honesty that rings hollow coming from the very first post... but that's not just that. You weren't asking for technical help, your post comes out as telling that the current non modified version is flawed. And the bad stuff that's come from the Roxanne's tool rings these very same walls.

AND we needed to request for the information to get it. But we could only do so after some ... honesty.

"Trying to modify this mod and came up with an error I can't find a solution to; Help ?"

I might be the bad guy in this forum, but at least I try to be honest. I don't ignore issues just cause they might be there.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola