Trying to modify this mod and came up with some errors I can't find a solution to

1 hour ago, apprenticepeng said:

I did, actually. Disabling Dispelling Screen prevented some SCS components from being installed. But, like Jarno Mikkola said:

I guess shouldn't post those errors here. It's funny; all I did was adding a few /* ... */ as suggested in the README file. And all of a sudden this made me look bad. 

"Hooray, Oracle will no longer be changed when you install the mod! If you have any questions or require assistance with any of the above, feel free to drop me a line in the forum."

Then again, the README file is outdated and the link in it is a dead one.

I was just trying find a better way to pick the spells I like without causing too much error during the installation process.

Now come to think of it, why the heck did I even bother? I'm only messing with this old old old game because the city-wide quarantine is driving me crazy.  I don't even know if I will have the time to enjoy the modded game after they lift the quarantine. There will be so many catch-ups to do.

Tweaking and playing the old game used to make me happy. Well... I guess everyone has to move on.

My suggestion would be to only not install the base spell and its scroll if you're going to try to do that. So, for example, you crossed out all of Flame Arrow (and all of its subresources), when really, you should only cross out spwi303.spl and scrl1f.itm. So it should look more like this...

notepad++_2020-03-20_00-08-28.png

Only the spwi303.spl and scrl1f.itm are crossed out. This makes it so all the other resources will still install and shouldn't cause errors. In almost all cases, such extra resources will not be called upon by the vanilla versions of the spells - they're just installed to make sure the mod is able to successfully install.

Edited by Bartimaeus
1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Well, you might want to rethink your approach, if I explain this a little better...

See your TOPIC title says the use of the current version and that you have an error in it. Now, did you install the native mod without any tools assistance or modifications ? Nope. This makes the entire MOD look BAD.

Now, there's this thing called complete honesty that rings hollow coming from the very first post... but that's just that. You weren't asking for technical help, your post comes out as telling that the current non modified version is flawed. And the bad stuff that's come from the Roxanne's tool rings these very same walls.

"Trying to modify this mod and came up with an error I can't find a solution to; Help ?"

Yes, you are correct about the title. I was being lazy, I just copied the error message from the Debug file and pasted it there as the topic title. I didn't think that much when I first started the topic. I should be more precise. I'm gonna change it as you've suggested.

I never say the mod is flawed. This is a beta release and I'm installing a big bunch of mods. This tend to cause error even without me modding the tp2 file. Bartimaeus reminded me about the disabled spells and so I attached my main_component.tpa file. It's not like I was trying to hide this. 

I use to manually install all the mods to the non-EE version of the game. But since BWS is outdated and project infinity is at its alpha stage, the best tool I can think of is the BEW tool. It can save me time. Otherwise it would be time consuming. If there's a better tool I'll gladly use it. 

Like I said, I was just trying find a better way to pick the spells I like without causing too much error during the installation process.

"Help! I can't turn on my computer"

"We are here to help. Did u press the power button?"

"Yes I did. But nothing happened"

"Did u check your power cord?"

"Oops, I forgot to connect it after cleaning the case."

"You're not being complete honest. You should say 'Help! I can't turn on my computer without connecting the power cord.' in the first place. You were telling that our computer is flawed"

"......"

"AND we needed to request for the information to know that u unplugged the power cord!"

"............"

Edited by apprenticepeng
4 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

My suggestion would be to only not install the base spell and its scroll if you're going to try to do that. So, for example, you crossed out all of Flame Arrow (and all of its subresources), when really, you should only cross out spwi303.spl and scrl1f.itm. So it should look more like this...

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

12 minutes ago, apprenticepeng said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

The only exception I would fear might not work is Dispelling Screen. You should probably comment out a line near the bottom of the file that says "INCLUDE ~spell_rev\lib\dispelling_screen.tph~" if you're going to disable Dispelling Screen, as it'll otherwise try to patch Spell Immunity in unexpected ways.

To be honest, I don't even know what the "BEW Tool" is. I presume some kind of multimod install tool, but I am simply not familiar with it.

16 minutes ago, apprenticepeng said:

Yes, you are correct about the title. I was being lazy, I just copied the error message from the Debug file and pasted it there as the topic title. I didn't think that much when I first started the topic. I should be more precise. I'm gonna change it as you've suggested.

I never say the mod is flawed. This is a beta release and I'm installing a big bunch of mods. This tend to cause error even without me modding the tp2 file. Bartimaeus reminded me about the disabled spells and so I attached my main_component.tpa file. It's not like I was trying to hide this. 

I use to manually install all the mods to the non-EE version of the game. But since BWS is outdated and project infinity is at its alpha stage, the best tool I can think of is the BEW tool. It can save me time. Otherwise it would be time consuming. If there's a better tool I'll gladly use it. 

Like I said, I was just trying find a better way to pick the spells I like without causing too much error during the installation process.

"Help! I can't turn on my computer"

"We are here to help. Did u press the power button?"

"Yes I did. But nothing happened"

"Did u check your power cord?"

"Oops, I forgot to connect it after cleaning the case."

"You're not being complete honest. You should say 'Help! I can't turn on my computer without connecting the power cord.' in the first place. You were telling that our computer is flawed"

"......"

Jarno can be fairly knowledgeable, but instead of using that knowledge for good, he uses it to endlessly berate and act superior towards others (and usually on the most ridiculous/inexplicable/incomprehensible of technicalities) while the staff looks the other way because he's a long-time member...even though his behavior clearly pushes away other users and, ironically (as we're on the subject), makes the forum look bad for never dealing with him. It is a bit of a shame for everyone involved.

Edited by Bartimaeus
58 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

To be honest, I don't even know what the "BEW Tool" is. I presume some kind of multimod install tool, but I am simply not familiar with it.

Yes It's just a multi-mod install tool I downloaded from https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/ ... and yes it's Roxanne's tool. 

TBH, I appreciate what Jarno has done for the G3 community. I'm just not ... quite adapted to his language style. 

Edited by apprenticepeng
14 hours ago, apprenticepeng said:

BTW...Is it just me or the BEW tool is not welcomed here? Did I miss something?

Well, there's a few problems I have with the way Roxanne dealt with a few mods, and people. But all those discussions are online and in public, so no great mystery from there.

And nope, there's no general rule of welcomed and not welcomed usage of community tools. And so you are welcome.

PS: Bartimaeus, a simple "EE Setup tool" google search leads to the BEW, so go figure, you know nothing about anything.

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

1) Jarno can be fairly knowledgeable, but instead of using that knowledge for good, he uses it to endlessly berate and act superior towards others (and usually on the most ridiculous/inexplicable/incomprehensible of technicalities) 2) while the staff looks the other way because 3) he's a long-time member  ...even though his behavior clearly pushes away other users and, ironically (as we're on the subject), makes the forum look bad for never dealing with him. It is a bit of a shame for everyone involved.

1) Could it be that being a long time member actually gives me insight of things that are going on ?

2) The staff hasn't always been quiet, you just haven't seen much cause there's not really that much going on.

3) So the FAQ for Megamoding came out of nowhere and no one is responsible. Nice to see that I am so well ignored that the link I posted leads to no where, and you know that it does this.

14 hours ago, apprenticepeng said:

I'm just not ... quite adapted to his language style. 

Don't worry, no one is.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
1 hour ago, apprenticepeng said:

Yes It's just a multi-mod install tool I downloaded from https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/ ... and yes it's Roxanne's tool. 

TBH, I appreciate what Jarno has done for the G3 community. I'm just not ... quite adapted to his language style. 

Ah, now that you mention it, I think somebody else mentioned this before, and I kind of ejected it out of my memory because it's EE-only (...and I don't play on the EEs).

12 hours ago, apprenticepeng said:

BTW...Is it just me or the BEW tool is not welcomed here? Did I miss something?

It’s perfectly welcome. But Roxanne won’t log in here, and thus won’t discuss things with the authors or maintainers of the mods being installed by that tool. She also has made sone alterations to some mods, and when that happens without discussing it in the open, then... how can we help people troubleshoot? Who knows what changes have been made, or the state of a mod when it gets installed that way? 

Worse, because she started her own little private forum, some people report bugs over there, instead of here where the mods are. Then Roxanne might make some further change, but the actual mod might never know about it, and the bugs might never get fixed.

It just diverts some players from the best place to talk about mods (here) and silos bug reports, for no discernible benefit except that she gets free reign to post under 10 different names. Preserving her ability to (mildly) deceive people is not worth it IMHO. So people tend to be slightly annoyed by her and her opaque installer. 

9 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

It’s perfectly welcome. But Roxanne won’t log in here, and thus ...

Oh...I didn't know...

I agree that people should share their info, that is, without being treated by some unpleasant "language style".

There's this "ProjectInfinity" by ALIENQuake. I'm hoping this is a better tool to use.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:49 AM, Jarno Mikkola said:

On 3/20/2020 at 1:52 AM, apprenticepeng said:

I'm just not ... quite adapted to his language style. 

Don't worry, no one is.

Lol, but we love you anyway!

On 3/20/2020 at 11:48 PM, apprenticepeng said:

There's this "ProjectInfinity" by ALIENQuake. I'm hoping this is a better tool to use.

I have high hopes