A few questions

I've just successfully installed EET on my Mac and plan on posting a little guide to help others do the same. Before I do, I have a few oddball questions.

1.) I'm 95% sure that BG1EE could in theory be trashed after installing EET (whether it'd be prudent is another question!), but I wanted to ask to be sure.

2.) I'm unhappy with the apparent options for the vanilla user interface. UI scaling is too big, but it's too tiny (at my resolution) when it's turned off, and I didn't find a way to change in-game screen resolution. Any recommended UI mods that address this issue, or am I missing some vanilla option?

3.) It seems to me that background animations (for things like water fountains, chimney smoke, and ocean waves) move too quickly. I noticed this in Candlekeep for both BG1EE and BGEET. Is there a fix for this, or is it just the way it is?

Lightning round: As mentioned, I may be interested in a UI mod, and I've already installed EET Tweaks. Any other must-have mods? I'm not looking for things like quests at this time; more like bug fixes, immersion and quality of life improvements.

Thanks!

1) Technically you want to uninstall the game and then trash the game folder... cause you might need to reinstall the BG1EE(+SoD).

2) You might want to first try to edit your desktop or what ever it's called in Macs to edit the in game screen size, and then turn on inteface size change.

Ouh, and welcome, there should be at least a couple people your guide might help. So ... I might link to it.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I would also look at the Tweaks Anthology -- offers a lot of options in addition to EET Tweaks and many QoL improvements. If you like banter, then the NPC Project mods are a must have. Other than that, a quick scan through the categories in G3, Pocket Plane Group, and Spellhold Studios can give you a good survey of the landscape. Popular options include various new kits (haven't tried) and additional joinable NPCs (preferences vary widely). Maybe Unfinished Business (1&2) to tie up a few loose ends. I'm also a fan of Spell Revisions (especially with SCS, below), but that may change things more than you want.

If you want to shake things up a little later on, I so very highly recommend Sword Coast Stratagems. It's a difficulty mod that mainly focuses on AI. Makes things a lot more interesting without being punishing, and is entirely modular (keep this, ditch that). I normally eschew difficulty mods, and I have completely come around to this one. Probably not recommended for a first time, though.  If you're already a BG vet, give it a go.

1 hour ago, Lightbringer said:

Maybe Unfinished Business (1&2) to tie up a few loose ends.

Which ends ? As in, most of the original content of those mods are already included in the vanilla BG1EE and BG2EE games, as the mod makers and the Beamdog made a deal for it to be so. You ought to be more specific.

1 hour ago, Lightbringer said:

mainly focuses on AI. Makes things a lot more interesting without being punishing, and is entirely modular (keep this, ditch that).

Right, so the options you tell about are in a .ini file that needs to be altered manually by editing it via a notepad or other tools, BEFORE you install the mod, it's fine as is ... IF, you know what the hell you are doing, but not with your recommendation.

And I wouldn't say that the punishing effects it has, are really that intresting, as they are definitely not suited for everyone. Considering that it makes every mage a hassle of defenses that need to be erradicated. Yes, it makes the game a lot more harder, if you want it to be...

13 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Right, so the options you tell about are in a .ini file that needs to be altered manually by editing it via a notepad or other tools, BEFORE you install the mod, it's fine as is ... IF, you know what the hell you are doing, but not with your recommendation.

I haven't had to edit the ini file to get what I want out of it. Mages at one difficulty, Trolls at another, etc.  I've been able to use the in game dialogue to change the difficulty modes for the various options. Definitely not a newbie mod, not for a first playthrough, but there's a reason why it's one of the most popular mods out there ...

I'm assuming that the OP will go and look at the descriptions of the mods I mentioned and make his own judgement call on whether it's what he wants in his game.

Good to know that much of UB was included in the EEs. Not all, I think though, right?  I know the Kidnapping of Boo event was one of my favorites for BG2 UB. I don't think that was included in BG2EE.

Edited by Lightbringer

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I'll post my guide in a little bit.

I can mess around with my OS's resolution, but tbh that isn't a very graceful solution. Would a mod like Lefreut's UI Be helpful?

Edit: Another question I should have asked: It doesn't seem like EET itself requires Weidu or any other mod manager to install, since you just launch the installer exe/.command file. Is that the case?

Edited by 1Mac