Setting wizard spell slots to exactly zero

temnix

Who can tell me, is it possible to decrement the number of wizard spell slots for every level exactly to zero, for a random character, without accidentally going under and giving 12 slots for every level instead?

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

In case I wasn't clear, what is working for me is making a spell with a single op42/op62 effect, set to modify spell slots by -1 for every pertinent spell level.  Then apply that spell ~15 times - enough times that even with Rings of Wizardry etc., the player's spell slots won't go above 0.

So with: Known values for 'Spell Level' are:
0 Double spells
1 Level 1
2 Level 2
4 Level 3
8 Level 4
16 Level 5
32 Level 6
64 Level 7

... this means that if you set the "level variable" to be 2^7-1=127, you can cover all 7 priest levels in one effect... and all 9 wizards with 511. Yeah, it's binary.

5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

In case I wasn't clear, what is working for me is making a spell with a single op42/op62 effect, set to modify spell slots by -1 for every pertinent spell level.  Then apply that spell ~15 times - enough times that even with Rings of Wizardry etc., the player's spell slots won't go above 0.

Why not use one spell with 15 effects inside?

Don't remember.  I speculate that I had seen bunching up the reductions didn't work; doing a single effect with a 15-slot reduction definitely failed.  Going all the way in the other direction: 15 spells with one effect each and one slot reduction per effect, works fine.  I don't know if the middle ground - one spell with 15 different effects, one slot reduction per effect - would work.  Once I got it working I stopped testing other methods, and just moved on to the next thing.