Import Walking Sounds of BG:EE into BG:EET

Guest Sokaris of Mirtou

Guest Sokaris of Mirtou

Hello all, I would like to request (if this's the the correct thread to do such a thing) a mod to import the walking/footsteps and armor clanking/rustling sounds of Baldur's Gate 1: Enhanced Edition into the Enhanced Edition Trilogy version.

It seems I had taken for granted the extra auditory effects, and did not notice them till, well um... They were gone. The lack of them in their original "loudness" is somewhat immersion breaking for me. So if  anyone can fulfill my request, or at-least give me some sort of method on how to achieve the desired results myself i'd appreciate it.

My guess here is that the Trilogy comes without those sound files. I see no reason why anyone would try to disable such sounds, and there is no way anyhow other than overrriding them with silent versions of those files. So run Near infinity and check for WAVs. I can tell you that walk sounds all begin with "WAL_" and armor sounds with "ARM_". If you don't have them or they are silent, that's your clue.

Edited by temnix
Guest Sokaris of Mirtou

"My guess here is that the Trilogy comes without those sound files. I see no reason why anyone would try to disable such sounds, and there is no way anyhow other than overrriding them with silent versions of those files. So run Near infinity and check for WAVs. I can tell you that walk sounds all begin with "WAL_" and armor sounds with "ARM_". If you don't have them or they are silent, that's your clue."

I'm... Not sure if I understand? I'm not trying disable the sound files, but rather add the one's from the first game into my EET install, which seems to have the same sound files but are greatly diminished. As in the EET versions appear to be the same ones, but are much less defined in volume level and/or quality.  Raising the relevant audio setting's doesn't seem to help much  either.

So the files are there but only quieter? In that case you need to import them from an EE installation. Find one. Ask around or download a pirate version from a torrent. There are too many for me to export them.

Guest Sokaris of Mirtou

"So the files are there but only quieter? In that case you need to import them from an EE installation. Find one. Ask around or download a pirate version from a torrent. There are too many for me to export them."

Indeed, they're there but barely audible. 

"So the files are there but only quieter? In that case you need to import them from an EE installation" I do not understand, I've already both Baldur's Gate EE 1&2 installed and then combined make-up my EET installation. Is there no way for me to draw the necessary sound files from my already pre-existing installation(s)?

1 hour ago, Guest Sokaris of Mirtou said:

I do not understand, I've already both Baldur's Gate EE 1&2 installed and then combined make-up my EET installation. Is there no way for me to draw the necessary sound files from my already pre-existing installation(s)?

There is, if there's an actual difference in the files, just get Near Infinity from here, it's a Java program so you need to have a Java Runtime, here's a little more on that. And use it to open your BG1EE install, and extract the file with right clicking the files, in the WAV folder, and then when you have the files, just copy paste them into the BG2EE's "override" -folder.

The other thing that this could be is that your ambient sounds are set to too low volume in BG2EE(&EET).

Guest Sokaris of Mirtou

"There is, if there's an actual difference in the files, just get Near Infinity from here, it's a Java program so you need to have a Java Runtime, here's a little more on that. And use it to open your BG1EE install, and extract the file with right clicking the files, in the WAV folder, and then when you have the files, just copy paste them into the BG2EE's "override" -folder."

Oh, well that's great then! Thank you to both of you, Jarno and temnix. I'll give that a go tonight.

"The other thing that this could be is that your ambient sounds are set to too low volume in BG2EE(&EET)."

Hmm, I did fiddle around with that setting before but it seemed to not help much. Perhaps i'll try again, thanks for the tip!