Cone projectile to affect enemies only

Guest kungfuhobbit

Guest kungfuhobbit

Hi Gibberlings3 community

Im trying to make a Cone of Cold (COC) affecting enemies only.

I exported the projectile from the game, set the Does Not Affect= Self flag in Infinity Projectile Utility, added the projectile to the game, editted existing COC to use the new projectile.

But when finished casting, no projectile is released and nothing else happens. The conic AOE overlay also does not appear - instead a blue pinpoint appears where the spell cursor points.

I wondered if IPU had added a corruption. I compared the original with my edit in Near Infinity and found two differences which I corrected

Face target granularity = Unknown - 0
I changed this back to the original version=
Face target granularity = Do not face target - 1

Projectile color 1: Color index 0 (Rust - Tinted Black)
I changed this back to the original version=
Projectile color 1: Color index 67 (Shiny Gold)

The problem persists

Please could anyone help?

Thankyou

When you open the conecold.pro file, you will want to enable the hex offsets, it's in the main Options->Show Hex Offsets.

After this, you open the projectile, in the PRO folder, click it and double click the last line in the Edit view, this opens up the offset 200 "line". In that you want to just open the very first line called Area flag, and in that you want to tag the Affects only Enemies 6.

Forget hex everything. You have simply overlooked something about your projectile. Start by editing the existing New_Cone_of_Cold. Enter your own range, graphics there, etc. In Area properties check "Affect enemies only" and make sure to choose "Custom" for "Explosion effect" and then enter your own visuals. With this you'll be able to test, firing the projectile from, say, a custom item. (I use a ring "+RING" for these things, it conveniently shows on top of the file tree.) When you are satisfied with the projectile, rename the file to whatever you want and put in in your mod folder.

Guest kungfuhobbit
8 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

When you open the conecold.pro file, you will want to enable the hex offsets, it's in the main Options->Show Hex Offsets.

After this, you open the projectile, in the PRO folder, click it and double click the last line in the Edit view, this opens up the offset 200 "line". In that you want to just open the very first line called Area flag, and in that you want to tag the Affects only Enemies 6.

Thanks but the problem persists. I think this is also equivalent to the steps I took in IPU

5 hours ago, temnix said:

Forget hex everything. You have simply overlooked something about your projectile. Start by editing the existing New_Cone_of_Cold. Enter your own range, graphics there, etc. In Area properties check "Affect enemies only" and make sure to choose "Custom" for "Explosion effect" and then enter your own visuals. With this you'll be able to test, firing the projectile from, say, a custom item. (I use a ring "+RING" for these things, it conveniently shows on top of the file tree.) When you are satisfied with the projectile, rename the file to whatever you want and put in in your mod folder.

Thanks but the problem persists.

Where do I tell it what Custom "Explosion effect" to use? In the 'Projectile info' > 'Projectile Animation' field? I set that to a bam

It's so strange that I only change one flag (Affect only Enemies) and it stops working.

Original COC sprays two bams: SPCCOLDE and SPCCOLDL. Other cones like Color Spray also use multiple bams somehow. Is this related to Secondary Projectiles?

The original has the Secondary Projectile field = "None - 0", but it does have a Secondary Projectile 'Area flag' ticked. Thanks for anything you can do to help

Make sure the projectile type is set to "Area of effect" on the main screen of the PRO, first of all. It will be, if you are editing the ready Cone.

The "Projectile info" section is for settings for the bolt that kicks off the area of effect. In the case of, say, Fireball, this would be the ball itself. When it lands, the explosion happens. Since in the case of Cone of Cold there is no bolt, you need to go to "Projectile info" and make sure the graphics field up there says "None." It already does, if you are copying from the ready file as I suggested. Now exit and go to "Area effect info." Here you can tick off "Secondary projectile," it's on by mistake. It doesn't do anything, because the field for "Secondary projectile" reads "None." "None" actually is a real single-target projectile, the fastest one there is, but in such a setup it doesn't do anything. Now tick on "Enemies only," and the projectile should work as you want it.

Since you don't want to change the visualization of it, you can keep "Explosion effect" as "Cone of cold," this will play the ice graphics and the sound. "Custom" here will let you enter your own BAMs in spread and ring animation, and you can play around with checkboxes on the bottom, too. There are many fine points here in the PRO, but you'll only need to know them if you decide to make original explosions and bolts.

Baldr002.png.ce3a52a6b6bdef05f926c95f9cc730b6.png

It still affects the party.

Cones are more complicated than fireballs I guess. But I do get the conic AOE overlay now (in-game screenshot with Win+G unsupported for me).

I followed your steps editting the original. I also tried changing the spl file's Spell Form from Normal to Projectile and removing the effect files, cast spwi503 and Casting Features. It still affects the party even though Affect enemies only is definitely selected : (

Capture1.png

Capture2.png

I just started my perfectly standard BGEE and tried New_Cone_of_Cold with just one change - ticked "Affect enemies only." It works, and it's the only thing that needs to be set. Just do that - delete everything you've done to that projectile, reload and start from scratch. Use it on your party, nothing should happen with the check on. If for some unfathomable reason you still don't see the difference, there is a workaround you shouldn't have to use. Put effect 318, Protection from spell, on top of the spell or item ability with the damage - I'm assuming this does damage. Put 318 higher on the list, enter the spell's name in Resource and choose "Not enemies" among the conditions. This does the same job as the check in the PRO in all cases except for setting off triggered projectiles. If you wanted to make something like Skull Trap or Glyph of Warding that would be safe for the party to approach, you would tick that "Only enemies" box, and then allies would not set off the trap. With protection inside the spell allies would trigger it, but not experience the effects. In an instant spell like yours there is no difference, but try getting the PRO to do that job.