Enabling classes in the context of other mods

temnix

I found myself having to make a kit, and quickly. I'm sure people have been doing it for ages, but not me. I'm making this wizard kit available to half-orcs and dwarves, and enabling MAGE in CLSRCREQ.2DA has the unfortunate side effect of opening Mage to them, too. Is it possible to tuck away Mage but keep other kit options on the list? Plus, to make changes to permitted classes and kits I have to REPLACE_TEXTUALLY a line of CLSRCREQ with my own values. But if others have already put 0s and 1s there in different places, nothing will be replaced. I thought I could insert my MAGE line down on the bottom, hoping it would override what comes above, but no. Any suggestions? 

12 hours ago, temnix said:

Is it possible to tuck away Mage but keep other kit options on the list?

Yeah, just don't put a zero into the actual kit list file, no it's not CLSRCREQ.2DA, it's the one K_<class>_<race>.2da, so for Half orc mage, it's K_M_HO.2da . Yes, installing the kit with ADD_KIT weidu function, you normally will append the file, and yes, apparently the Beamdog minions have places the zero's into the files for cheese reasons, so your best option is to either rewrite the file or patch the zero with a rewrite of your own kits number. The kit number is the very first constant you set in:

ADD_KIT ~this~

~this 1 1 1 ...

So the kits number would be %this% .

Dwarves use the K_M_D.2da . Here's a reference for the 4th part of the kit making tutorial, from which you can find some of that info.

Making a kit won't require a new component... actually there's no new starts for ADD_KIT... it's just a set number of strings... the LAF fl#add_kit_ee is a new functionality added-in later.

I thing you might have had just an extra END at somewhere, which ends the component, and messes things, if you actually made an attempt.

.. and I won't mess with the INSTALL_BY_DEFAULT... it's a horrible, for multiple reasons.

I get lost, as usual, in Jarno's verbiage.  But here is my code for eliminating the trueclass kit from a particular menu in character generation:

ACTION_FOR_EACH race IN ~D~ ~E~ ~G~ ~H~ ~HE~ ~HL~ ~HO~ BEGIN
	ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~K_M_%race%.2da~ BEGIN
	  COPY_EXISTING ~K_M_%race%.2da~ ~override~
		COUNT_2DA_COLS cols
		COUNT_2DA_ROWS cols rows
		PATCH_IF (rows > 2) BEGIN
		  READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW rows cols
		  SET rows_removed = 0
		  FOR (row = 1; row < rows; ++row) BEGIN
			READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER rows row 1 kit
			PATCH_IF (%kit% = 0) BEGIN
			  REMOVE_2DA_ROW (row - rows_removed) cols
			  SET rows_removed += 1
			END
		  END
		END
	  BUT_ONLY
	END
  END

The "rows_removed" variable is useless here, but it is necessary if you want to expand the (%kit% = 0) condition to include a bunch of different kits. But 0 is the trueclass, so in this case that's the one you want to remove.

Edited by subtledoctor