Ultravision (mod, probably for EE)

1. Summary
2. Compatibility

1. Summary. "Ultravision" replaces the former Infravision spell and scroll, the potion, helmet and ring with the same function to permit their users to see beyond walls and other obstacles. They will find all warm-blooded creatures in a large 120-degree cone in front of them. "Warm-blooded" means that undead and constructs are not detected and slimes, insects and reptiles are found with difficulty. It helps to study a suspected direction longer to bring them out.

It's not necessary to start a new game.

2. Compatibility. This module was made on EE, and it seems that it doesn't run on old versions of the games. I upload a hopeful version, but the chances are slim.

Ultravision.jpg.a3774ddeb39c3c4d6827b350ed842c38.jpg

Download

Edited by temnix

Hello Temnix, this mod doesn't work on Tutu. Tried couple of times with premade gnome m/t and custom half elven m/t. As soon as prologue is done I got CTD with this error:

ASSERTION FAILED! Return Address: 0x4FF726 File: CGameEffect.cpp Line: 1536 Expression: FALSE Message: (null)

So this is only EE stuff it seems. And one humble request, it is getting harder to track your various mods, could you tag them with "Temnix" for example, please? 

I'm going to look into the problem. Do you get the error after the prologue ends even without casting the spell, simply by virtue of having the mod installed? As for mods, I'm going to list them all in my profile.

2 hours ago, temnix said:

Do you get the error after the prologue ends even without casting the spell, simply by virtue of having the mod installed? 

Yes, that is exactly the case I'm afraid. Probably some projectile file ( from what I saw on a quick glance while it installed on Weidu). 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:12 PM, Greenhorn said:

Yes, that is exactly the case I'm afraid. Probably some projectile file ( from what I saw on a quick glance while it installed on Weidu). 

Projectiles shouldn't be a problem. But even if so, they only come in after ultravision activates one way or another. If you are not using a source, nothing can crash. Do you have somebody wearing the Eyes of Truth, Topsider's Crutch from the console or under the Infravision spell itself before the Gorion cutscene?

21 hours ago, Greenhorn said:

If I'm not mistaken demihumans have natural infravision. No items whatsoever except that staff from the start of the game. However both premade gnome and custom half elf should have infravision from the start, so that could be potential clue. 

No, infravision doesn't get changed. The Ultravision spell and potion, ring and helmet give infravision as before to those who haven't got it plus the ability to see through walls. Of course, you don't get X-ray vision simply because you are a dwarf. If you aren't using any of them, it can't be their fault, but maybe some files are missing from the BG2 engine which EE has, and then trying to load them will crash the game. I don't think there are any in this case, though, the mod is a simple one. Look for STATDESC.2DA in Near Infinity in override and among 2DA files. It should be there, however. Another possible cause is this file, I suspect there was an error in it. Try this version.

[deleted]

Edited by temnix

So here are results, that 2DA file is among 2DA files but not in override. I downloaded your file and replaced original and then reinstalled the mod. Unfortunately nothing changed. When prologue is done then it is blackout. I already started new game and buried Gorion and truthfully I'm little tired of constant black screens with this mod ( probably TOBEX fault ) and having to unlock it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Thank you for your support and help and I wish you best of luck with new projects and new, interesting ideas. 

15 hours ago, Greenhorn said:

So here are results, that 2DA file is among 2DA files but not in override. I downloaded your file and replaced original and then reinstalled the mod. Unfortunately nothing changed. When prologue is done then it is blackout. I already started new game and buried Gorion and truthfully I'm little tired of constant black screens with this mod ( probably TOBEX fault ) and having to unlock it with Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Thank you for your support and help and I wish you best of luck with new projects and new, interesting ideas. 

Nobody is forcing you to use my mod. I couldn't care less if you do or not, but I think I found the problem. Try this version and if it works, do put in so much effort as to write back, because it might be a general problem. What you should be seeing now with your Tutu is that there will be no crash on running the mod but there will be one when you equip the items or use the spell. If that's the case, then the reason is an advanced opcode is used, one of them, and then I'm going to label this mod as EE-only.

[deleted]

Edited by temnix

Oh, the sacrifices we  do for the science. So on third attempt on "my" Tutu  :p I finally get past prologue. I immediately entered the inn to sleep and memorize Ultravision and then when I stepped in... CTD. You are original guy Temnix,  pompousness aside. But hey, nobody is perfect, least of all me. :laugh2: Label it as you wish, I am done.  

Since Greenhorn has dropped out, I have no way of testing whether Ultravision may be made to work under old editions. I made some changes to the spell and items for when installing on setups other than EE, removed advanced opcodes that might cause a crash. This version will be attached below until I have sorted out my file hosting service, and then I will upload it to the head post. But from what he says it seems that the problem may be with bouncing projectiles as such. If they don't work in old games in principle, then neither can this mod.

Switch to the EE, and a whole new world will open.

The link in the first post has been updated with this hopeful version.

593996161_Ultravision2.jpg.7fa4f6c0561d1b9cb130b577e6ce19c3.jpg

Edited by temnix

Why? Anybody who wants to can get it here. For future engineers, they can work on enabling bouncing AOE projectiles for "classic" games. This is how you get forward-facing cones for Caster spells. Not my discovery either. But they already work in the Enhanced Edition and never will in "classic," so it's a moot point.