Cahir's EET Epic Run Mod Order help request

5 minutes ago, Cahir said:

Thanks, it might be helpful to others if you could add the download link to the listing on the first page. Googling for it doesn't net any results and the linked thread does not make it apparent that there is indeed a fix for this issue.

direct download link btw: https://us.v-cdn.net/5019558/uploads/editor/ys/pttzybgirr5w.zip

18 minutes ago, Ulb said:

Thanks, it might be helpful to others if you could add the download link to the listing on the first page. Googling for it doesn't net any results and the linked thread does not make it apparent that there is indeed a fix for this issue.

direct download link btw: https://us.v-cdn.net/5019558/uploads/editor/ys/pttzybgirr5w.zip

Done, thanks for suggestion.

Added another gem to the list: Trap Overhaul. Since it's hard to find too, I added download linke in the first post too.

20 minutes ago, Arthas said:

the equalizer component from oversight (That makes it a bow) and the mod that makes it so that you get notified of the school and spell the enemy is casting could be useful too for you. Didn't check firsthand the mod list, so... was just pointing two cute jewels I don't see talked about much

AFAIK Oversight was not ported to EET yet, so I don't want to risk it will screw something up for me. I would love to try it, though. So if someone let me know if Oversight works with EET or not, I would be grateful.

EDIT: The second mod is JimFix, and I already included it in my list.

Edited by Cahir
9 hours ago, Cahir said:

@Lightbringer I waited with my epic EET run for IWD-in-EET run, but it seems it is still months away (if it will be released at all), so I figured the time has come. Especially since elminster basically scrapped the idea of finishing The Eve of War (which I hoped would be my ultimate quest mod).

As for item upgrade mods (Item Upgrade or Thalantyr Item Upgrade) I have more of a conceptual issue while combining them with Item Revisions rather than technical. Those mods upgrade items based on vanilla stats and then the upgrade makes sense. Item Revisions changes items, often to make them work differently than in vanilla (with different lore too). Then Upgrade mods "upgrade" those items, reverting them back to "upgraded vanilla state" and virtually nullifying the "conceptual change" introduced by Item Revisions. Unless I seeing it wrong?

I'm doing my current run as sort of a test for an experience rate theory of mine, and to vet all the mega mods in my order. Once IWD-in-EET drops, I have a more "official" run in mind.  Plus I have a couple friends that have never played the BGs (I know, right???) and I promised them a multiplayer campaign off of it all. :D

My perspective with the Item Upgrades is that the product of the recipes is wholly different than either the vanilla or Revised item, but it's your run and your rules.

9 hours ago, Cahir said:

Can you recommend me some other quest mod that is not on my list? My requirements are:

- no overpowered items/spells (I don't want BG or even ToB power stuff during BG1)

- no ridiculously difficult fights (I'm looking at you Dark Horizons)

- interesting and engaging plot (I'm looking at you Secret of Bonehill, I remembered playing it like 10 years ago and it was a nightmare)

- as few bugs as possible (I don't want to be forced to use console command to fix things)

- to fit as much as possible in FR lore (so, no silly comic stuff, I love it, but not for this run). I'm a sucker for FR lore that's why the fate of the Eve of War makes me really sad.

Hmmm ....
I haven't really delved into my BG2 quest mods yet, so I can't vouch.  I do recall the BG2 Questpack as very good, as well as Unfinished Business -- both already on your list.

I can speak for BG1 quest mods.  One caveat: My own restrictions are not as narrow as yours, so I'll try and let you know where they may diverge. As an example, I make liberal use of Shadowkeeper and Near Infinity to craft the game to my own desires -- not hesitating to change stats and proficiencies of NPCs. I make Imoen a Fighter/Mage and chalk up her thief-talk to personality instead of combat ability.  That said, here's what I found fun:

I see you have BG1 MQ&E. Very good choice, excellent little events. Unfinished Business, of course, too.

Stone of Askavar was really fun. A light little quest that spans much of the BG1 wilderness and makes use of existing areas in a clever fashion. It also has several new areas and a cool culmination. Some of the fights were challenging, but would fit right in to an SCS playthrough. It was well balanced, power-wise.

Grey Clan Ep1. This one surprised me at how inventive it was. You have to know going in that there is no Ep2. It plays like the intro to a larger story and ends with the reveal of a larger power-org at work in the Sword Coast. As long as you're okay with leaving it there, it has some pretty engaging encounters and events. It is also a bit challenging, but nothing too crazy.

Twas a Slow Boat from Kara Tur. Simple mod that adds a single (admittedly challenging) encounter to the shipwreck coast in order to unlock a store with very unique items. All eastern-themed, so perfect for that Monastic Orders of Faerun monk you may be planning. Also, I love Monastic Orders of Faerun. My elven Monk/Fighter multi is a delight, and I can't wait to try out a Monk/Mage in my next playthrough.

Northern Tales of the Sword Coast. Jastey did a fantastic job rebalancing and modernizing this classic mod. All the broken and unbalanced items and fights have been fixed. The additional spells and items seeded to the rest of BG1 is an optional component, so you can leave that out if you want. It's now very easy to follow the plot through all the journal entries, and all the missable triggers have been made more open. What's left is a really cool plot that plays out across a whole slew of new areas and involves a cult of Bhaal as well as a conspiracy to resurrect an orc warlord. It also includes nifty additions to both the Temple and Firewine maps to spice up the early BG1 game a little.  The original mod may have had its issues, but I highly recommend the new version.

Dark Side of the Sword Coast.  This one comes with some caveats. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and the current version for EET rebalances the overpowered content. However, it is a dungeon crawl, particularly the final quest. Expect about 8-10 levels of every interior cave/mine map filled with enemies. It was a meat grinder, and a fun romp for pre-Sarevok training. Bonus, there's a tie in to both Sarevok's plot and a well known power-group revisited in BG2 at the very end of DSotSC.

One very important key tip:  During the last quest in Dark Side, you will enter a map that looks like the Flaming Fist jail and aid a dwarf against vast hordes of Duergar. For all that is holy, TURN OFF SCS's "give potions to fighters and rogues" components before entering that map. Otherwise it's a very hard and tedious slog. Without, it's just a big brawl against many dozens, as was intended. Turn it back on after, of course :)

Finally, Ascalon's quest pack. A lot of fun little events in the vein of Mini Quests and Encounters. Some a little silly, some much more serious. A new favorite of mine.

Most of these mods add in new items that do change the power balance of vanilla BG1. Nothing was crazy, though. It was like fixing what felt like a drought of magic in BG1, before a massive spike in BG2. All of the more powerful items are involved in quests you won't get until the end of BG1 -- post Cloakwood, at least.  It also helped balance out the increased difficulty of SCS.

It didn't feel as flush as Siege of Dragonspear -- perhaps a little more like Durlag's Tower-plus.  Between Durlag's, NToTSC, DSotSC, and SoD, I actually felt like there was an even progression of power from Candlekeep to Amn -- where everything takes off like a rocket.

14 minutes ago, Lightbringer said:

I'm doing my current run as sort of a test for an experience rate theory of mine, and to vet all the mega mods in my order. Once IWD-in-EET drops, I have a more "official" run in mind.  Plus I have a couple friends that have never played the BGs (I know, right???) and I promised them a multiplayer campaign off of it all. :D

My perspective with the Item Upgrades is that the product of the recipes is wholly different than either the vanilla or Revised item, but it's your run and your rules.

Hmmm ....
I haven't really delved into my BG2 quest mods yet, so I can't vouch.  I do recall the BG2 Questpack as very good, as well as Unfinished Business -- both already on your list.

I can speak for BG1 quest mods.  One caveat: My own restrictions are not as narrow as yours, so I'll try and let you know where they may diverge. As an example, I make liberal use of Shadowkeeper and Near Infinity to craft the game to my own desires -- not hesitating to change stats and proficiencies of NPCs. I make Imoen a Fighter/Mage and chalk up her thief-talk to personality instead of combat ability.  That said, here's what I found fun:

I see you have BG1 MQ&E. Very good choice, excellent little events. Unfinished Business, of course, too.

Stone of Askavar was really fun. A light little quest that spans much of the BG1 wilderness and makes use of existing areas in a clever fashion. It also has several new areas and a cool culmination. Some of the fights were challenging, but would fit right in to an SCS playthrough. It was well balanced, power-wise.

Grey Clan Ep1. This one surprised me at how inventive it was. You have to know going in that there is no Ep2. It plays like the intro to a larger story and ends with the reveal of a larger power-org at work in the Sword Coast. As long as you're okay with leaving it there, it has some pretty engaging encounters and events. It is also a bit challenging, but nothing too crazy.

Twas a Slow Boat from Kara Tur. Simple mod that adds a single (admittedly challenging) encounter to the shipwreck coast in order to unlock a store with very unique items. All eastern-themed, so perfect for that Monastic Orders of Faerun monk you may be planning. Also, I love Monastic Orders of Faerun. My elven Monk/Fighter multi is a delight, and I can't wait to try out a Monk/Mage in my next playthrough.

Northern Tales of the Sword Coast. Jastey did a fantastic job rebalancing and modernizing this classic mod. All the broken and unbalanced items and fights have been fixed. The additional spells and items seeded to the rest of BG1 is an optional component, so you can leave that out if you want. It's now very easy to follow the plot through all the journal entries, and all the missable triggers have been made more open. What's left is a really cool plot that plays out across a whole slew of new areas and involves a cult of Bhaal as well as a conspiracy to resurrect an orc warlord. It also includes nifty additions to both the Temple and Firewine maps to spice up the early BG1 game a little.  The original mod may have had its issues, but I highly recommend the new version.

Dark Side of the Sword Coast.  This one comes with some caveats. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and the current version for EET rebalances the overpowered content. However, it is a dungeon crawl, particularly the final quest. Expect about 8-10 levels of every interior cave/mine map filled with enemies. It was a meat grinder, and a fun romp for pre-Sarevok training. Bonus, there's a tie in to both Sarevok's plot and a well known power-group revisited in BG2 at the very end of DSotSC.

One very important key tip:  During the last quest in Dark Side, you will enter a map that looks like the Flaming Fist jail and aid a dwarf against vast hordes of Duergar. For all that is holy, TURN OFF SCS's "give potions to fighters and rogues" components before entering that map. Otherwise it's a very hard and tedious slog. Without, it's just a big brawl against many dozens, as was intended. Turn it back on after, of course :)

Finally, Ascalon's quest pack. A lot of fun little events in the vein of Mini Quests and Encounters. Some a little silly, some much more serious. A new favorite of mine.

Most of these mods add in new items that do change the power balance of vanilla BG1. Nothing was crazy, though. It was like fixing what felt like a drought of magic in BG1, before a massive spike in BG2. All of the more powerful items are involved in quests you won't get until the end of BG1 -- post Cloakwood, at least.  It also helped balance out the increased difficulty of SCS.

It didn't feel as flush as Siege of Dragonspear -- perhaps a little more like Durlag's Tower-plus.  Between Durlag's, NToTSC, DSotSC, and SoD, I actually felt like there was an even progression of power from Candlekeep to Amn -- where everything takes off like a rocket.

Oh, fantastic introduction to BG1 mods! You may just persuaded me to install couple of them. Especially your feedback regarding DToSC and NTotSC was illuminating. I'll ponder about installing those two and the others you mentioned. I'll probably not install spells and items from NTotSC since I'll already will have Abu dance of those to use. As for the difficulty I don't plan to go crazy with SCS difficulty (mostly Improved, or Basic where I feel Improved would be too much for me). I want the game to be fun and challenging, without beeing frustrating. I don't want to rage quit from this game, like ever 😁

Is there any race mod that actually work on EET? It puzzled me that I didn't see any. I would love to play dragonborn-like draconic bloodline Sorcerer mixed with a bit of fighter(ish) kit. Not sure how to achieve that yet. Anyone has an idea how to build such character with mods from my list?