Spell revision 3.1.03 hangs during installation (Windows 10 BG2EE)

Guest ralessandro634

Guest ralessandro634

I tried to install this mod on Windows using the exe file, it correctly extracts the content in my BG2EE folder but when the setup starts it hangs here:

[C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\setup-spell_rev.exe] WeiDU version 23800
{setup-ascension.exe} Queried (pid = 812) version = 24600
{setup-cdtweaks.exe} Queried (pid = 796) version = 24600
Newest WeiDU is version 24600, updating!
WeiDU files in version order:
  [Setup-stratagems.exe] version 24600
  [Setup-RR.exe] version 24600
  [setup-PPE.exe] version 24600
  [setup-npc_strongholds.exe] version 24600
  [setup-LeUI.exe] version 24600
  [setup-cdtweaks.exe] version 24600
  [Setup-aTweaks.exe] version 24600
  [Setup-Assassinations.exe] version 24600
  [setup-ascension.exe] version 24600
  [setup-spell_rev.exe] version 23800
        Copying [Setup-stratagems.exe] -> [setup-spell_rev.exe]: false
[Setup-stratagems.exe] WeiDU version 24600
Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-spell_rev.exe]
        Copying [Setup-stratagems.exe] -> [setup-spell_rev.exe]:
Auto-Updating on behalf of [setup-spell_rev.exe] (done)
[setup-spell_rev.exe] WeiDU version 24600
{setup-cdtweaks.exe} Queried (pid = 272)

I guess it's a compatibility problem with some other mod, but I have no idea what could cause it and how to solve it.

Could somebody help me?

26 minutes ago, Guest ralessandro634 said:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\

If you are on Windows 10, you cannot use this folder if you use the C drive, the reason is that Windows will try to  copy, and ends up mirroring the setup-spell_rev.exe it makes during the above to not overwrite the file in the said folder, but to a

C:\Users\<windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\ -from which the mod tool cannot find it.. nor would the game be able to. You should reinstall the game using Steam and this time install into your user profile files.

The other thing you find is that the above is part of the weidu.exe's autoupdate feature, so yes, all the setup-modname.exe's are the exact same file just renamed to take orders from a setup-modname.tp2 file... meaning that if you weren't using Windows 10, the above procedure could success.

If you are not using Winodws 10, you can go into the game folder, delete the setup-spell_rev.exe, and copy and rename say the setup-ascension.exe as the original file, and then run it.

Guest ralessandro634
15 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

If you are on Windows 10, you cannot use this folder if you use the C drive, the reason is that Windows will try to  copy, and ends up mirroring the setup-spell_rev.exe it makes during the above to not overwrite the file in the said folder, but to a

C:\Users\<windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\ -from which the mod tool cannot find it.. nor would the game be able to. You should reinstall the game using Steam and this time install into your user profile files.

The other thing you find is that the above is part of the weidu.exe's autoupdate feature, so yes, all the setup-modname.exe's are the exact same file just renamed to take orders from a setup-modname.tp2 file... meaning that if you weren't using Windows 10, the above procedure could success.

If you are not using Winodws 10, you can go into the game folder, delete the setup-spell_rev.exe, and copy and rename say the setup-ascension.exe as the original file, and then run it.

Ok thanks, so where should I reinstall the game? If I reinstall it, don't I risk to break my save files?

1 hour ago, Guest ralessandro634 said:

Ok thanks, so where should I reinstall the game? If I reinstall it, don't I risk to break my save files?

Well, when you install mods, you already break your saves, so that's really not a good argument in this case. See the alterations the mods make in their install modify the files already in use and as the saves use the old file references, they will likely have wrong string references in their descriptions, names and graphical data ... of course depending on specifics of the mod and so forth.

And I would install the game to either not in the C drive if you can, or install it into here: C:\Users\<windows user name>\<Games or alternative folder name>\BG2EE\ -or what have you. I specifically use for example, "Games" in my own language with is "Pelit" as the second folder name.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest ralessandro634
On 4/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, subtledoctor said:

Also, use version 4 beta 18.  Pretty sure v3 doesn't work right with the current EE games.

Thank you, this version worked like a charm! Not only it installed in the Steam folder, it also works perfectly with my old saves!

I was considering to install Item Revision as well, what version would you recommend me?