How to find odd bug

Lauriel

It could be that the assassin comes with a BG1 dialog auto assigned to it( aka the .cre has a number in it's script). Add it via installing it to a EET game, and the supposed BG1's dialog becomes a BG2's dialog string, and the text just happens to be a random line, from BG2 portion cause it wasn't tried to be matched, but it's just a number.

How to fix this you might want to ask, your best bet is to not just show the dialog window, but tell where exactly the character is, and allow us to gain the information so we can tell you exactly which .cre and .bcs etc you need to --change-log and thus find which mod cheeses it up. Also it might be pertain to provide weidu.log .. just the off chance someone else has already ran into this and can tell you exactly what you might want to do.

What Jarno said. If this Shank is a mod cre then first thing I would check is whether the cre itself has dialogue strings assigned to it that do not make sense (a lot of mods have cres with random high numbers instead of the "-1" for "no such string" which didn't do anything in BGT, lead to a "Invalid: 123456" in BG:EE, and might lead to a random string in EET. Hm, although it would be a BG1 string in that case as they are patched at the end.

OK, so maybe it's just a string number that a mod used and which would make sense in BG:EE but in EET it doesn't because the string is obviously not the same in BGII. But not necessarily inside the cre, but the kind of attack Shank did to Galauriel.

Do you know which mod the cre is from?

I'm sorry, I thought you'd recognize the name.  He's the 1st assassin you run into in the Candlekeep prologue if you go clockwise.  I've just done that so many times I forget not everyone else has too.  My bad.

I'm not aware of a mod that affects him or I'd have looked there first.  I'll investigate a little

Ah. I knew that name sounded familiar lol

Maybe it has nothing to do with Shank perse. Maybe it's some kind of attack that got altered by a mod. But all Shank does is attack with a dagger, I think? So I wouldn't know what the line was suposed to be instead of the BG2 quote.

12 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

I'm sorry, I thought you'd recognize the name.  He's the 1st assassin you run into in the Candlekeep prologue if you go clockwise.  I've just done that so many times I forget not everyone else has too.  My bad.

Really, not your bad at all! Shame on you @jastey & @Jarno Mikkola, I guess my boy Carbos is also just a random dude to you snobs?

In any case, it really sounds as if either EET didn't correctly patch his dialogue or maybe some weird mod reset his dialogue with a static dalogue.talk entry?

Yeah, his dialogue file looks fine in NI.  I think I'm going with what @jasteysuggested because I attacked him with something 'different'.  I'm testing out a new Psionic powers from Will to Power mod from @subtledoctor.  I attacked him with some solar flash dealy.   If my attacking him with something odd would make him suddenly lose his marbles?  I don't know, it's so odd and random.

I'm going to try to wound him with something else and see if he still channels fallen paladins from Athkatla.

1 minute ago, Lauriel said:

Yeah, his dialogue file looks fine in NI.  I think I'm going with what @jasteysuggested because I attacked him with something 'different'.  I'm testing out a new Psionic powers from Will to Power mod from @subtledoctor.  I attacked him with some solar flash dealy.   If my attacking him with something odd would make him suddenly lose his marbles?  I don't know, it's so odd and random.

I'm going to try to wound him with something else and see if he still channels fallen paladins from Athkatla.

Yeah, that makes sense. A psionics mod sounds like it might have some 'combat feedback' lines which might have gotten scrambled...

The same thing happened when I attacked Carbos, so it's not unique to Shank.  I've not seen it when I attack with any other weapon.  The only common thread is W2P, that I can see.  I'll let him know.  Thank you all!  I'd have never thought about the type of attack being used being the possible culprit.

The string "You lie. etc." is no. 31786 in EET. In BG:EE that would be "Blinded". So, a mod is appearently assigning string #31786 to a blinding effect. (In case the author is reading this: in EET, that would be + 200.000 i.e. #231786.) (Ain't I smart?!)

47 minutes ago, Ulb said:

I guess my boy Carbos is also just a random dude to you snobs?

Carlos? That's one of those wood cutter guys, isn't it? 😆

7 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Thing is, NOBODY said about casting ANY SPELLS from a stange character kit. Guess what ... that was the case here. And there is still no weidu.log's content, just saying.

You're right I didn't, it never even entered my mind that it would have been the culprit so I never even bothered to bring it up.  I'm so new at this, that things that you deem common sense aren't so much for me.  And now, we need no weidu log since it's solved, but I will make sure to do that, next time as I'm sure there will be one.