Yet Another Thread About A Big BG2EE Install

More I think about it, the more I think Nalia would make a good psionicist.  I know it doesn't fit some of her in-game dialogue (I think at some point she talks about being an "arch-mage") but it makes sense for her background, and the thief side of things fits with her Robin Hood tendencies.

Which means, for Charname, maybe something arcane.  I usually don't like duals, but in the case of Charname and BG2, it always seems appropriate, with the idea that Irenicus' torture has awakened (or stunted, depending) your magical power.  Maybe a fighter->mage or cleric->mage.  Or maybe forget arcane classes, and do a fighter->mystic (FnP mystics kind of fit the idea that the awakened magic is born of your divine nature).  But, mah familiar...!  EDIT - I quickly hit a 90-point stat roll, which is rare for a fighter but good because it approximates an 84-point BG1 roll plus six Tomes.  Jeez, dual-class restrictions for druids are tough!  17 WIS and 17 CHA means that my physical stats were in the 15-16 range.  Fine, but not great.  And then I realized that I forgot to install the Dual-to-Kit mod, so I couldn't dual to a Mystic kit.  D'oh!  Bye-bye, 90-point roll.  Time to start anew.

Hmmm...

EDIT - worth noting, since a WtP psion will only master 3 of the 5 psionic disciplines by level 20, it is entirely reasonable to have two psions in the party; they will play very differently.  You could have a ranger/psion focusing on biokinesis and telekinesis and clairsentience, all about being more deadly in combat.  (That's what I started to play as Charname last week.) And then you could have a thief/psion focusing on telepathy and telekinesis and pyrokinesis, controlling the battlefield in all sorts of ways.  (That's probably how I would build Nalia.)  A bit weird, as far as the game's story, but mechanically it would be interesting.

Edited by subtledoctor
15 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

before I do that, I'm going to ask a question: in the previous incarnation of this install, when I looked at the worldmap, the little graphics denoting an area I can visit were all black boxes.  Anyone have an idea why?

You forgot to transfer the worldmap folder over to the iPad. Follow standard procedure:

worldmap => worldmap.zip => worldmap.bg2data

The same holds for the music folder in case some of those mods add new soundtracks...

Oh crap. I rolled a fighter with a 91 stat roll, and set Str/Wis/Cha to 15/17/17 so I can dual into a Mystic kit. Before dualling, I rolled for a Wild Talent... and not only did I get one, I got a double - one science and one devotion! That needs a roll of 99-100! They are both in the Telepathy discipline, not what I would necessarily choose for this character: Mental Domination and Sensory Synchronization (the latter is basically psionic Defensive Harmony). Still, it’s amazing.

I was planning to roll a few different characters and see which feels good... but it would kind of be a sin not to play this guy. 

3 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I've never seen that series of films, so I'm not sure what you meant 🙃...

Anyway, the Console tweak works fine, there's basically no risk (I think) of summoning it unintentionally...

Sorry - I meant to imply that, when playing modded BG(2), going without access to the console is living dangerously. 

(That said, I’m fairly confident in my install. I played through BGEE and SoD with no problems. The only thing I’m worried about in BG2EE is Ascension...)

On 4/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, subtledoctor said:

If this thread trails off and I stop updating it, don't worry: (...) it will just mean I went crazy.

Ah, that's alright then!

Just chiming in to say that I am really happy to see Hidden Adventures on so many weidu.logs lately. Because it's a so far rather unkown mod, has no mod page yet (shocked!) and it's still in beta.

That said, let me know if you encounter any problems and feedback welcome!

2 hours ago, jastey said:

Just chiming in to say that I am really happy to see Hidden Adventures on so many weidu.logs lately. Because it's a so far rather unkown mod, has no mod page yet (shocked!) and it's still in beta.

Well then, in that case maybe it could find its safe place here, at G3?

On 5/3/2020 at 11:42 PM, subtledoctor said:

Sorry - I meant to imply that, when playing modded BG(2), going without access to the console is living dangerously. 

(That said, I’m fairly confident in my install. I played through BGEE and SoD with no problems. The only thing I’m worried about in BG2EE is Ascension...)

OK, I see now. Anyway, I'm glad I found a nice way to implement the console on mobile devices in case it's needed...

Also, if you have a Bluetooth mouse + iPadOS 13.4, try playing the game with it 🙃...