Animate Dead Now (mod for EE)

As if by magic, I suddenly acquired the ability to edit my posts, so I'm updating the download link in the previous ad - I made a small update - and copying over the contents to the head post.

Nonetheless, nobody should think of asking me to revive or create anything else for these boards. I'm working on the last mod, and that will be all.

Edited by temnix

I upgraded the amount of experience necromancers and shamans earn by staying among the dead. I would have included the change in the original file, but this was a very old table from when my ideas of balance weren't the best. Now it is a little more rewarding. This is going to be the last change, unless bugs are reported.

Download

Because.

Something that I want to mention about sounds in this mod: zombies receive new and different voices after the transformation. These voices may clash with the sounds embedded in the INI files of their animations. This won't happen with the playable races and classes, but, long story short, monsters have default sounds that come with their animations. This was a crappy decision by Bioware, but then, they did not expect creature sounds to be changed in the course of gameplay. Thus, a wolf animated here is going to have two sets of voices: the new undead animal rattles and his old perky vociferations. It is the same for hobgoblins, xvarts and others. This can get quite jarring, and the only way to prevent this is to clean out the INI files: open them in Near Infinity and delete sound references except for idle sounds (wing flapping for wyverns, creaks for skeletons...) and body falls. This is a good idea, but doing it for every monster type is more work than I can be bothered with, and there is an additional problem: in BG2 monsters ONLY have the default sounds. Bioware has been very lazy in the sequel and simply did not assign ghouls, kobolds, animals and so on individual sounds. And I don't know how it is in Icewind Dale. A dedicated and flat-bottomed modder could clean the INIs, then go through all of the CRE files and assign the right strings to the slots for every creature type, taking stock of the exceptional NPC with unique lines. That would solve the problem once and for all, and not just for this mod. Short of that, clean your own INIs or put up with the audio confusion.

Playing this mod. I'm wondering a few things:  has anyone experienced the new Xzar content Temnix talks about? Including the improved harper compound. I haven't seen any difference, but I may have an old version and the links inside this topic are dead.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:51 PM, Morgoth said:

Playing this mod. I'm wondering a few things:  has anyone experienced the new Xzar content Temnix talks about? Including the improved harper compound. I haven't seen any difference, but I may have an old version and the links inside this topic are dead.

I'm not sure that was implemented as it's not mentioned in the later posts.

I'm just starting out testing this mod and I've identified a bug, I think, with gift of life, whenever I cast this it appears to do what is intended but has a weird side effect of making the character record say ready to level up even without gaining xp, and then if you add xp and try and level up the came crashes.

Have you managed to use the spell successfully?

I wonder if anyone has any idea what is going on to cause that bug 

I want to like this mod; however, how this mod handles disease made it unwise to use for a serious long-term game because of the chance of spreading it to NPCs and harming or killing them incidentally.  With this mod, corpses seemed to rot at record fast speed.  If we could somehow disable the disease component, I suspect more people would enjoy this mod.

1 hour ago, Endarire said:

I want to like this mod; however, how this mod handles disease made it unwise to use for a serious long-term game because of the chance of spreading it to NPCs and harming or killing them incidentally.  With this mod, corpses seemed to rot at record fast speed.  If we could somehow disable the disease component, I suspect more people would enjoy this mod.

SPPR317 Cure Disease appears to be patched to remove the new diseases added by Animate Dead Now (but unless I missed something in the tp2, the Elixir of Health and Staff of Curing were not). Also, Temnix said that NPCs would react badly to groups of undead marching into their city, as you'd expect, so it's intentionally inconvenient. And he hasn't posted here for a long time, indicating he didn't want to either, so I wouldn't expect a fix by bumping this thread.

He did update this mod in 2023 though.

I do like the detail that skeletons summoned by the "Skeletal Scion" spell are from Hades, so no "blood war" issues.

@EnigmajazzCould you share your fix because casting the gift of life spell just causes the priest that does such to lose access to thier spells, (I guess cause thier losing thier class like you said) and doesn't raise the NPCs to life.

Also the Animate Dead spell is bugged as when I cast it and it raises undead, my Charecter for some reason gets a whole bunch of unremovable items such as rings and invisible helmets in his bag.

The Mod is good but has a lot of bugs, also that disease of dead bodies component needs to be removed in my opinion. 

Edited by DraikenWeAre
1 hour ago, DraikenWeAre said:

@EnigmajazzCould you share your fix because casting the gift of life spell just causes the priest that does such to lose access to thier spells, (I guess cause thier losing thier class like you said) and doesn't raise the NPCs to life.

Also the Animate Dead spell is bugged as when I cast it and it raises undead, my Charecter for some reason gets a whole bunch of unremovable items such as rings and invisible helmets in his bag.

The Mod is good but has a lot of bugs, also that disease of dead bodies component needs to be removed in my opinion. 

Essentially you have to create a new spell state and change the spell to assign that rather than change the class, then you have to change the effect that would detect the new class to detect the spell state. I've not got access to the file at the moment to give more detail of exactly which files it is.

I think I sorted out the ring issue locally as well but can't fully remember how, possibly it was switched to give to the creature raised rather than the caster.

It would be relatively trivial to comment out the disease part I think if you know which lines of the install are involved.

@Enigmajazz okay, but I honestly don't have any Idea on how to do what you said , especially since I don't know which file is which .

I'm not exactly the best at editing mods even though I know I know how to use near infinity a bit, and worse is that I noticed that Temnix didn't really optimize his mods in general in the best of ways.

I would assume you not having to the files may be because you don't use the mod anymore or is it just that it's in your other PC.

Because of it's the later, I can wait.

Edit: Also I read Temnix description again and it seems the corpses are supposed to disintergrate after being diseased, the issue is they don't no matter how long you rest or time has past .

If let's say they despawned after 8-24 game hours then the disease effect would be a problem.

But they just stay on the map forever .

Edited by DraikenWeAre