Back for another playthrough

3 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

At least if you use the “Indelible Familiars” component, you will be bound to re-summon the same one. That’s probably also true with the base “Choose-your-own Familiar” component, though I’m not 100% certain.

This component didn't show up during install.  I think one of the other components blocked it. Good to know however.  I think I'm likely going to just go back to learning familiars from scrolls.

4 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Did you actually learn/cast the spell? The nature of learning it from scrolls is, you have to learn it and then cast it, and then it will be innate. (I think. Probably to make sure you can’t add it to your innate abilities until the appropriate level.) I know I’ve refined this recently, but I never use that option because only option 5 works with multiclass sorcerers, MnG bards, and my Arcanist kit. So I don’t precisely recall the current specific usage. But it might have been working and you just didn’t realize it  (Which I admit is not ideal.)

I learned it, but never actually cast it, so that could be the reason.  I agree that the current implementation ends up being a bit janky, so I'll have to rethink the inclusion.  Thanks for the heads up on option 5 being the only one that works with the Arcanist.  I should have double-checked that one since I have multiclass Sorcerers installed.

8 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Refinements no longer overwrites anything. It adds and removes HLAs dynamically to each table, with my Add_HLA and Remove_HLA functions. How it handles mod kits is a fairly late addition to the mod; It’s very possible it needs to do some more removing. Or, if you’re talking about those mod kits having some custom HLAs that mimic or conceptually overlap with Refinements, then yes it will need code specific to that mod. But that too could be easy - just a few more “Remove_HLA” function calls; if the mod is there the overlap will be removed; if the mod is not there then nothing will happen. Any specifics you can give about which HLAs overlap would make it easier. 

Digging into this a bit more and I've come across something strange.  I can't seem to find any code where the Artisan's Kitpack adds the HLAs I mentioned earlier for the Kensai and they aren't abilities added by the base game.  I'm looking through my other kit mods, but not seeing any that claim they make changes to the kensai.  Some more investigation is required.  This isn't just a mod mixup though because they have custom ability icons and everything.

22 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

Digging into this a bit more and I've come across something strange.  I can't seem to find any code where the Artisan's Kitpack adds the HLAs I mentioned earlier for the Kensai and they aren't abilities added by the base game.  I'm looking through my other kit mods, but not seeing any that claim they make changes to the kensai.  Some more investigation is required.  This isn't just a mod mixup though because they have custom ability icons and everything.

More digging and I discovered that this is indeed the Artisan's Kitpack component.  From the \lib\Kenasi.tpa

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#07.SPL~ ~OVERRIDE~
SAY NAME1 ~Improved Ki Critical~
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~The Kensai gains a permanent +2 bonus to their critical hit modifier.~

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#08.SPL~ ~OVERRIDE~
SAY NAME1 ~Overwhelming Critical~
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~The Kensai's critical hits reduce the target's physical resistances by a cumulative 5% for 4 rounds.~

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#09.SPL~ ~OVERRIDE~
SAY NAME1 ~Second Wind~
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~The Kensai heals for 5% of <PRO_HISHER> maximum hit points and reduces a small amount of <PRO_HISHER> fatigue modifier upon landing a critical hit.~

COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#10.SPL~ ~OVERRIDE~
SAY NAME1 ~Devastating Critical~
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~The Kensai's critical hits kill the target instantly on a failed Saving Throw vs. Death. Creatures with 8 or lower HD die with no save.~

1 hour ago, Caedwyr said:

This component didn't show up during install.  I think one of the other components blocked it.

Actually the opposite - I think one of the other components auto-installed that one. 

1 hour ago, Caedwyr said:

Thanks for the heads up on option 5 being the only one that works with the Arcanist.  I should have double-checked that one since I have multiclass Sorcerers installed

I’m enjoying option 5 as I play with it. One nice thing is, it lets you fill a sequencer with any spells you know - you don’t have to have them memorized. This is mostly important for mages, since their known spells are distinct from their memorized spells. So if you have Sequencer memorized, it affords you the chance to cast some lower-level spells that you didn’t memorize that day, if the situation calls for it. (Just remember with all of these components, filling a Sequencer can only be done out of combat.)

7 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

I will put together some thoughts as to what HLAs fit together conceptually and which shouldn't overlap later today.

So, thoughts on the Kensai HLA overlap.  The new HLAs in the Artisan's Kitpack work quite well as an additional HLA tree the player can go down, this one focusing intensely on critical hits which is appropriate for the Kensai.  I'm not too worried about unbalancing things and I know from the original work on Refinements that one of the biggest restrictions from having more HLAs was just coming up with them and keeping the number manageable.  However, for overlapping mods we don't need to worry about this concern as much and can just take advantage of what is already there.  My thought is that the Refinements + Artisan Kitpack Kensai should have the following HLAs.  This integration is pretty substantial so may be far more trouble than it is worth and is the type of thing I'd want to get buy-in from both mod authors/maintainers before implementing, though it does help give the Kensai a bit more of a unique set of HLAs.  This may go beyond the scope of what you are willing to do while maintaining Refinements.

-Whirlwind Attack
-Greater Whirlwind Attack   (requires: Whirlwind Attack)
-Deathblow
-Greater Deathblow          (requires: Deathblow)
-Power Attack
-Critical Strike                   (requires: Power Attack)
-Smite                                 (requires: Improved Ki Critical)
-Overwhelming Critical
-Devastating Critical         (requires: Overwhelming Critical)
-True Kai                            
-War Cry  
-Resist Magic
-Improved Ki Critical         (requires: Critical Strike)
-Invigorating Critical         (requires: Critical Strike)
-Toughness

Improved Ki Critical replaces the Improved Critical HLA from Refinements.

Ability Location ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#07.SPL~
Name ~Improved Ki Critical~
Description ~The Kensai gains a permanent +2 bonus to their critical hit modifier. 

Requires: Critical Strike~

Invigorating Critical is the renamed Second Wind HLA from the Artisan's Kitpack.  Renamed to avoid confusion with the already existing Refinements Second Wind HLA for monks.

Ability location ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#09.SPL~
NAME ~Invigorating Critical~
Description ~The Kensai heals for 5% of <PRO_HISHER> maximum hit points and reduces a small amount of <PRO_HISHER> fatigue modifier upon landing a critical hit.

Requires: Critical Strike~

Overwhelming Critical is from the Artisan's Kitpack and gets added to the Kensai HLA table

Ability location ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#08.SPL~
Name ~Overwhelming Critical~
Description ~The Kensai's critical hits reduce the target's physical resistances by a cumulative 5% for 4 rounds.~

Devastating Critical is from the Artisan's Kitpack and gets added to the Kensai HLA table with Overwhelming critical as a prerequisite

Ability location ~%MOD_FOLDER%/Kensai/SPELLS/C0KN#10.SPL~
Name ~Devastating Critical~
Description ~The Kensai's critical hits kill the target instantly on a failed Saving Throw vs. Death. Creatures with 8 or lower HD die with no save.

Requires: Overwhelming Critical~

There's a bit of conceptual overlap, but no worse than what is already present with Deathblow and True Kai. 

I sent a PM to AionZ over on the BeamDog forums since I don't know their handle here.

Next up, the Divine Champion kit from Artisan's Kitpack.

• The right click description of the Smite Infidel ability does not match the kit description version of the ability or the one in the documentation.
    Right click version: 783861779_smiteinfidel_rc.jpg.f0dffa9e805f990078927c5ce9cc5fd8.jpg
    Kit description v:     2004219208_Smiteinfidel_kd.jpg.23277ff117cd8a06c4defb6e303430a9.jpg

2. Haiass Bug.  If you run back out of the Feldpost Inn at the start of the game before Haiass can give you his whistle, then you will not receive it.  You do get his chew toy when he finally catches up to talk to you back in the main Candlekeep area. @jastey

3. PnP Celestials bugs. 

• Cast Evocation/Invocation spell doesn't have a right click description for the Movanic Deva
  • Teleport without error doesn't have a right click description for the Movanic Deva
  • The Movanic Deva Flametongue sword doesn't have a proper name or description (double check) when right clicked
Guest Guest

Got a question or two for refinements.

If you level up too high without clicking the level up button,  you cannot add more than once some of the hlas. Is this intended?

Mystic Fire from Artisan's Kitpack @Artemius I

• At level 10 when you get 2nd level spells the Mystic Fire does not get the 2nd level arcane spells added to their spellbook.  The arcane spells get added at level 11. 
  • At level 12 when you get 3rd level spells the Mystic Fire does not get the 3rd level arcane spells added to their spellbook.  The arcane spells get added at level 13.
  • At level 15 when you get 4th level spells, the Mystic Fire DOES get the 4th level arcane spells added to their spellbook.  This one is working as intended.
  • Tome & Blood interaction with the Choose Familiar component.  The Mystic Fire does not get to choose their familiar.  I suspect that the familiar is the base game version of the Pseudodragon. I'm not sure if this cross-mod interaction is something you care about @subtledoctor.  Right now the current interaction is harmless.
  • Refinements Interaction.  Seems to be pretty harmless.  The Mystic Fire also gets Exorcism, Holy Aura, Holy Purge, Righteous Magic, Shield of Law and Toughness.
  • Undocumented additional HLAs for the kit315161081_MysticFireHLAs.jpg.05b44d79ee324fbb47d299dad827e360.jpg
  • New HLAs do not list their prerequisites in their descriptions like all the base game HLAs.

2. PnP Celestials.  See if the cleric spells can be listed under the cleric spellbook for the Movanic Deva instead of under the innate button as they currently are listed.  Check design documents.

Edited by Caedwyr

Artisan's Kitpack Blackguard.

• The in-game kit description is the base game version.  The one during character creation is the Artisan's Kitpack version.2123111045_BlackguardKit.jpg.ac79e8f2b5c78fc0df6ffb2858ad6d8e.jpg
  • At level 3, the Blackguard gets the message "Negative Plane Protection" instead of "Aura of Despair".  Note that the Blackguard also got the message Negative Plane Protection at level 1.  Testing in combat does not provide any indication that the Aura of Despair actually exists and though there is a portrait icon.  It might be working
  • The mage spells are added to the Blackguard's divine magic spellbook at level 1, not level 9 as indicated in the kit description.  This means that the Blackguard gains access to blindness and larloch's minor drain at level 6, not level 9 because of when the kit gains priest spell slots.
  • There is no indication that the Blackguard gets a backstab multiplier on the character record page where it is normally listed and so far in testing the detailed combat info doesn't show the backstab multiplier being applied when the character is attacking from a backstab position.  At level 8 & 10 when using the invisibility spell and attacking from the backstab position, a x2 multiplier was applied, so it appears that the backstab multiplier increase at level 9 is not being applied correction.  Still nothing on the character record page
  • HLAs worked as expected and the Refinements category replacement HLAs were substituted in cleanly over the base game HLAs.
11 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

2. PnP Celestials.  See if the cleric spells can be listed under the cleric spellbook for the Movanic Deva instead of under the innate button as they currently are listed.  Check design documents.

I checked the design documents and this was intentional.  Only the Planetar is a cleric in addition to being a fighter.  All the Devas are straight fighters with a boatload of innates, some of which are at will and others are X times per day.  Which reminds me that I might want to update the ability descriptions on right click to reflect which are at will and which are X per day.  I think the right click on abilities to get extra description is a new feature of the EE games.