Back for another playthrough

My mod list is much longer now and I'm working on sorting out which components need to be installed, order, etc.

One question separate from those, is how EET handles NPC that exist in BG1 but do not exist in BG2 (I guess this applies to SoD as well).  If you have an NPC from BG1 are they just carried through to BG2 and are silent the whole way, or does the player have to "get the gang back together again" and some NPCs will not make the transition?

I'm curious as to how this is handled because if it means silent NPCs, then I'll need to do a lot of pruning of the list to only include NPCs that have content for both BG1 and BG2.

In EET, no original NPC gets carried over as a silent NPC (unless you find a tweak for it). Since with SoD you have two points were the group gets emptied, it is prevented that NPCs are still in the group during the relevant transitions.

In addition, be aware that NPCs that die in BG1 (SoD?) will not appear in BGII for EET, except for Imoen and Edwin.

I've managed to come up with my first pass of mods I would like to install.  In order to avoid throwing a massive wall of text at people reading this thread, I'm going to break my questions into smaller batches.

My goal is to have a set of mods that integrate well with the existing games tone and quality, are relatively bug free, and manage to keep the amount of jank down to a manageable level.  I'm doing an EET install, so keep that in mind regarding any bugs or compatibility issues you may know of.  I also prefer to have a decent amount of interactions with base npcs and other mod npcs.

First up, the NPC mods I'm on the fence about including:

1. All things Mazzy v1.049.  I see that there's a required bug fix with the EET compatibility, but assuming it gets made or I make the needed changes, how well does this mod integrate with the base game Mazzy and the Mazzy Friendship mods?
  2. Aura NPC.  Is this EET compatible?  Anything special required for install order
  3. Brandock the Mage vbeta5. I saw this in @jastey signature and it looked decently complete, but if anyone has feedback or warnings to give me regarding this mod it is appreciated. The beta tag makes me cautious, but the pedigree makes me include it on my list.
  4. Colours of Infinity - Yvette v4.1. This NPC shows up on a number of people's list of NPCs they enjoyed.  I did see some reports of a bug preventing proper installation.
  5. Colours of Infinity - Foundling v4.4. Another NPC that looks interesting, but could be a Chloe situation if written poorly.  I don't have a lot of experience playing Lava's mods as they mostly came out after I stopped playing in the mid 2000s.  I saw some EET compatibility issues that may not have been cleared up as well.
  6. Corthala Romantique v3. How well does this fit with the existing character and  the Valygar Friendship mod?  I recall there being a romance  mod for an existing BG2 NPC that essentially rewrote the character and I can't recall if it was this one or another mod.
  7. Ninde NPC v3.0. There is supposedly a version of this mod that is fully voiced.  Does anyone know where to find it?  Also, opinions on the NPC given my criteria above would be appreciated.
  8. Sarah NPC v5. I've seen comments regarding its EET compability.  Does anyone have experience getting this one to work in an EET install?
  9. Solaufein's Rescue v1.6.  I'm waiting for the completion of the english translation, but I was also wondering how true it is to his BG2 character.  The Weimer Solaufein romance ends up being pretty much a different character only loosely related to the one in the game and I was hoping for something that is better integrated.
  10. Tyris Flare NPC v8. I'm interested in opinions on how well this NPC fits in the game.  The premise makes me think it is a bit more of a personal taste for the fit, but I'm curious as to what the broader consensus migh tbe.
  11. Varshoon NPC v5.1. Is this compatible with EET?  How well written/does it fit with the game?
  12. Verr'Sza BG1 and BG2 NPCs.  A question on how well this NPC fits in the base games, the degree of polish/lack of bugginess, and if the BG2 one is complete enough to be a satisfying inclusion in a game or if I should wait until it is more complete to add to the game?
  13. Wilson Chronicles v1.7.  Is this EET compatible?  Does it fit the base game in feel?
  14. Xan for BG1 friendship path.  Is this compatible with BG1 NPC, both technically and in feel?
  15. Yoshimo's Remorse v2.0. Is this compatible with EET?

As you can see, I have a mod or two on my list, since this it the group of NPCs I had questions about and not the longer list of NPCs I am planning on including that I don't have questions about.

2 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Brandock the Mage vbeta5. I saw this in @jastey signature and it looked decently complete, but if anyone has feedback or warnings to give me regarding this mod it is appreciated. The beta tag makes me cautious, but the pedigree makes me include it on my list.

Brandock has full BG1 content, 70% SoD content and can be aquired in BGII, reacts to all regarding the Planar Sphere + mage Stronghold and has an epliogue, but BGII content is not really done. Also, I had a weird SoD bug report I didn't experience myself but I'd need to look into. I would say he is decent stable in BG1, can be left standing in SoD in case he glitches, and is well integrated into the beginning of BGII and until the PC did the Planar Sphere quest. And it's a really awsome mod, of course. I'm absolutely not biased or anything.

2 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Corthala Romantique v3. How well does this fit with the existing character and  the Valygar Friendship mod?  I recall there being a romance  mod for an existing BG2 NPC that essentially rewrote the character and I can't recall if it was this one or another mod.

I did some adjustments to the CR for v1 to make the flow of the talks more forgiving, but the mod is based on the original material and with Domi's blessing. I thought the flow and content of the romance fits well and also explains how he can love again although he vowed never again to, but that depends on your view on his character, of course. He is quite verbose with the romance of course, but I never had the feeling it contradicts his personality.

The CR should be compatible with the Friendship mod: the Friendship mod yields to the romance from CR, but the friendship talks from CR (if no romance) yields to the Freindship mod.

3 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Solaufein's Rescue v1.6.  I'm waiting for the completion of the english translation, but I was also wondering how true it is to his BG2 character.  The Weimer Solaufein romance ends up being pretty much a different character only loosely related to the one in the game and I was hoping for something that is better integrated.

I wrote the mod because I did not agree to Weimer's characterization, awesome as his mod is. My Solaufein is not a depressed lyric still in love with Phaere. My Solaufein is bitter, knows that he did evil deeds, struggles to overcome his centuries of drow culture to find trust and friendship with the PC, and he despises Phaere for centuries of mistreatment. I think this charcteriziation fits the original Solaufein perfectly but since I'm the mod author that statement is to be expected.

There is no use in me giving an estimate about when the translation might be complete, but if you make your install soon it might be worth to include it and play the beginnings quest which is fully in English.

3 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Xan for BG1 friendship path.  Is this compatible with BG1 NPC, both technically and in feel?

It is written by the same author as the BG1NPC Xan romance (Kulyok) and is designed to add to Xan if the PC does not fulfil the romance criteria, so I'd say that's a definite yes to both questions.

5 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Wilson Chronicles v1.7.  Is this EET compatible?  Does it fit the base game in feel?

This is not yet EET compatible, but the fix is known: 

5 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

All things Mazzy v1.049.  I see that there's a required bug fix with the EET compatibility, but assuming it gets made or I make the needed changes, how well does this mod integrate with the base game Mazzy and the Mazzy Friendship mods?

Best to ask at the beamdog thread, where the creators are very active. I'm testing a new version of this which is EET compatible (same issue as Wilson) but haven't got to Amn yet!

You have a bunch of weaselmods there. I've played a few and the writing is good. For compatibility ask @Lava.

9 minutes ago, 4udr4n said:

Best to ask at the beamdog thread, where the creators are very active. I'm testing a new version of this which is EET compatible (same issue as Wilson) but haven't got to Amn yet!

I'm about a month out from my playthrough with my friends (we'll get a copy during the Steam or GOG's summer sale), so I'll be interested in hearing your thought as to how well the new content fits with the Mazzy from SoA.

@Jastey that's a big help.  Thanks for the input, I've made the appropriate notes and added a bunch of these to my "keep" pile.  Regarding Corathala Romantique, I'm thinking I might be conflating Weimer's Solaufein with Valygar for some reason.  I'm also glad to hear that Brandock is fairly complete for BG1.  Depending on when I get around to doing the install, I may just let people know that he's an NPC intended for the Planar Sphere content, but doesn't have a lot of other content beyond that.

IIRC version 4.4 of Foundling fixed an installation error for EET (it did fix it for me anyway). Also  I've had the privilege to beta test Foundling few years back when it was still in beta, and from what I remember I was really enjoyed it.

47 minutes ago, Caedwyr said:

I may just let people know that he's an NPC intended for the Planar Sphere content

Brandock hops along as a "7th party member", so it should be fairly easy to take him along until the Planar Sphere content is done without having to empty a slot for him (if the PC is not a mage he will get the apprentices). Keep in mind that BGII content is not really tested beyond my own alphatests, though. Thank you for your interst in the mod!

Some other unobtrusive, down-to-earth NPC mods you can't go wrong with installing: Afaaq, Isra, Adrian, Valerie, Xulaye, all IEP Friendship & Banter mods, de'Arnise Romance, Korgan's Redemption, Sarevok Romance, Imoen Romance (sic!)

Quest mods are more of a hit and miss, but Lava's (CoI Series, Athkatla expansions, White Queen...) and Kulyok's (Reunion, Sellswords, Return to Brynnlaw, Dungeon Crawl...) integrate well and/or have to be actively sought out, which I consider the standard for a good BGII mod considering the plethora of side quests already flying in your face in Athkatla. Fading Promises is also a nice story. Of the big quest mods, the nerfed versions of DSotSC/NTotSC may be worth checking out.

If you are playing with Ascension, I highly recommend Wheels of Prophecy as well. The latest versions have been made much more stable, and it really helps flesh out ToB.

Some gems like Aurora's, 1pp, etc. have still not been adapted to EE, but those aside the mod selection and maintenance for EET is better than that for BGT, generally speaking. SoD is a highly underrated (paid-for) quest mod. I'd say give it a try.

PS: The book club playthrough is such a brilliant idea. Almost makes me wish Corona was here to stay so I could convince some friends to do this... :p

Edited by Isewein