Ascension - report bugs here

DavidW

I just tried to install Ascension 2.0.12 (which I just downloaded from the gibberlings3 web site), but my AV software (McAfee) interrupted the installation, stating that it contained a virus named suspect!3039003f2cca.  Do you know whether  this would be a false alarm?

I get an inexplicable parse error when the installation tries to compile certain bafs, specifically those referencing a LONG_BOW as the object:

PARSE ERROR at line 98 column 16-57
Near Text: )
    unknown object CLASS specifier [LONG_BOW]

[ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]  ERROR at line 98 column 16-57
    Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: error compiling [ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: compiling [ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]!
Stopping installation because of error.

This is easily "fixed" by swapping LONG_BOW for MAGE_ALL but it still leaves me worried because firstly the engine always recognized arcane casters as falling under the general identifier LONG_BOW and secondly because there was no such parsing error the last time I installed this very same Ascension version.

6 hours ago, polytope said:

I get an inexplicable parse error when the installation tries to compile certain bafs, specifically those referencing a LONG_BOW as the object:

PARSE ERROR at line 98 column 16-57
    unknown object CLASS specifier [LONG_BOW]

[ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]  ERROR at line 98 column 16-57
    Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: error compiling [ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: compiling [ascension/tougher/abazigal/abazdrag.baf]!
Stopping installation because of error.

This is easily "fixed" by swapping LONG_BOW for MAGE_ALL but it still leaves me worried because firstly the engine always recognized arcane casters as falling under the general identifier LONG_BOW and secondly because there was no such parsing error the last time I installed this very same Ascension version.

It isn't about the engine exactly, it's about CLASS.IDS. Some other mod in your install order has removed the ancient LONG_BOW synonym for MAGE_ALL. If you add the string '202 LONG_BOW' to class.ids in a text editor, the script will compile.

However, Ascension shouldn't be relying on that ancient oddity. I'll fix it next time I update.

Thanks, I've discovered a borderline bug with Yaga. At the Throne, on difficulties below hard, he's supposed to immediately reduce his damage resistances apart from cold to 70% through finyeasy.spl. However, this .spl actually reduces all resistances to zero!

If SCS smarter Yaga is installed on top of Ascension, then he appears in his final form with 60% resistance (not 70%) and doesn't reduce his resistances further via script.

Now, I imagine most Ascension players will also be using SCS (the Ascenion finale is still probably the hardest encounter in the trilogy, dependent on party composition, unless you tackle some of the other improved SCS battles at really low levels) so won't notice this bug (apart from the giant being a little less resistant than in his first incarnation). However, it will certainly be noticeable for those who installed Ascension + SCS and skipped the improved Yaga-Shura component.

Also, Abazigal's Drakes (DRAKE01 to DRAKE04.cre) have only 12HD and can be killed in one hit with no saving throw by a warrior using Greater Deathblow HLA; this seems odd because while they have 125hp each (a bit more than the maximum of12d8 exclusive of bonuses) they have a base THAC0 of -3, save vs death of 4 and save vs spells of 5, which no 12HD creature should have. I'd be inclined to compromise and make them 18HD, base THAC0 3, hp and saves untouched.

I see the case for this. But I don't feel confident it's unequivocally a bug or mistake, which makes me reluctant to change it. 

(I also think it's good for the occasional creature to be vulnerable to Greater Deathblow - otherwise why take it? - but I agree that the Drakes aren't the ones I'd choose in my own mod.)

Maybe I'll compromise and tweak this in SCS's version of Improved Abazigal.

Guest Maciek

Hello

I have a strange bug with my installation. I have tried find where is the problem and install only fixpack core+beta fixes and ascension. When I use slayer form thAC0 is set to 25 instead of 0, all other slayers form have the same issue.

I've updated to 2.0.13. This updates the Russian translation further (how much, I don't know, not speaking Russian), updates to the latest Detectable Spells (which shouldn't matter to players) and guards against problems with Timestop detection (which might, since I think it's the cause of the occasional, erratic, critical bug in the battle with Sendai's statues).

Guest Ascension Russian

The problem with the missing partial Russian translation remained. I installed the Ascension-2.0.13 and saw that the same moments with the description of the form of the Slayer, or Sarevok`s sword remained in English. While all this was completely translated, but for some reason the game still displays in English. Similar problems exist in translations into other languages. https://ibb.co/pKBPPP1

I have only a very limited ability to mess with the current automated translation system.

If an authenticated user (not a guest) is able to provide me with a set of .tra files for Russian (or any language) that they attest is 100% complete, I'm willing to use it directly and bypass the automated translator. It is not clear to me that it's being helpful in this case.

Guest Ascension Query

So just to be clear Longest Road and your Wheels of Prophecy have game breaking conflicts with Ascension as of right now.

Also I've never played Ascension and I was curious why there is no Tougher Sendai portion listed.

Also a question since I'm out of the loop and  havn't played baldurs gate since 2014.    Is the Tactics mod ported to BG2EE yet and is it compatible. 

Thank you!