Sword Coast Stratagems v33 now available

Actually that’s a good point. I don’t know if there’s anything special about 33.4; it’s just what was on my computer from installing mods a few months ago, and when I read about these bugs I decided not to update it. Totally arbitrary. 

I also play with a mod that makes wizards never run out of spells. So maybe this bug is on 33.4 as well - I would probably never notice it. So basically don’t base any decisions on my experience. 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:24 PM, Salk said:

Well, if DavidW is not back before I start my new playthrough I'll check the changelog and see if I can find what's different compared to v33.4 rather than just give up on 33.7 completely.

speaking of the devil. When is he coming back? 

5 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Actually that’s a good point. I don’t know if there’s anything special about 33.4; it’s just what was on my computer from installing mods a few months ago, and when I read about these bugs I decided not to update it. Totally arbitrary. 

I also play with a mod that makes wizards never run out of spells. So maybe this bug is on 33.4 as well - I would probably never notice it. So basically don’t base any decisions on my experience. 

Thanks for clarifying the reasons for your 33.4 install. I did a test with Mekrath in BG2 with 33.7 and can confirm that the bug is there. That being said, and having thought about it, I'm not sure it's such a big deal. Sure it breaks immersion and it would be nice to have it fixed, but in reality a mage is done for when he/she is out of spells anyway. Standing still may be unseemly, but whacking away with a quarterstaff isn't going to delay the inevitable by much - if at all. The only other option for a mage at that point is to flee. And while they still have spells, mages in 33.7 are busy.

I think, for now, I'll keep 33.7 unless someone can confirm that the behaviour doesn't exist in 33.4. Your Tome and Blood mod is a potential solution as well - thanks for mentioning that.

54 minutes ago, OrlonKronsteen said:

That being said, and having thought about it, I'm not sure it's such a big deal. Sure it breaks immersion and it would be nice to have it fixed, but in reality a mage is done for when he/she is out of spells anyway. Standing still may be unseemly, but whacking away with a quarterstaff isn't going to delay the inevitable by much - if at all.

Well, if you watch my video with Davaeorn, you can see that he was fumbling around from the very beginning of the fight. It was only much later that he actually started to cast some spells, and at that point the fight was done anyway. This can be a different issue though, as he definitely wasn't out of spells when that behaviour occurred.

4 hours ago, pochesun said:

speaking of the devil. When is he coming back? 

He performs maintenance and such when he has time - it can be weeks or months.

The bug occurs in a BG1:EE installation with only SCS's initialization + Smarter Mages components on 33.7a. It does not occur with the same setup except with 33.4 instead. The bug also occurs on 33.5, making 33.4 the last version without the issue. General mage movement (at the very least - I did not look at other caster types or indeed characters in general) appears to be broken, as mages never attempt to attack nor do they try to avoid being attacked or indeed move around at all as they did prior to 33.5.

58 minutes ago, tomasz86 said:

Well, if you watch my video with Davaeorn, you can see that he was fumbling around from the very beginning of the fight. It was only much later that he actually started to cast some spells, and at that point the fight was done anyway. This can be a different issue though, as he definitely wasn't out of spells when that behaviour occurred.

Interesting. I did not watch your video, I merely read the description of it. I wasn't sure if it was related to the 'out of offensive spells' issue. Occasionally I have had weird glitchy behaviour with SCS that did not occur again. As it happens, I once saw Davaeorn go catatonic with one of the older versions of SCS (31, I think). He didn't do anything but walk around from the very beginning. However, that never happened again on the same install. Not sure why it only happened once. I've had other examples of isolated weirdness, too, but fortunately only rarely. I was getting the sense that the 'out of offensive' spells issue was more consistent, but perhaps we haven't had an adequate testing sample yet. Thanks for posting and clarifying.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

The bug occurs in a BG1:EE installation with only SCS's initialization + Smarter Mages components on 33.7a. It does not occur with the same setup except with 33.4 instead. The bug also occurs on 33.5, making 33.4 the last version without the issue. General mage movement (at the very least - I did not look at other caster types or indeed characters in general) appears to be broken, as mages never attempt to attack nor do they try to avoid being attacked or indeed move around at all as they did prior to 33.5.

That's very good info. It may be worth trying to swap the 33.7 Smarter Mages code with the 33.4 and see if the bug is gone. Unfortunately I cannot yet start anything BG related.

Thanks.

Edited by Salk
26 minutes ago, Salk said:

That's very good info. It may be worth trying to swap the 33.7 Smarter Mages code with the 33.4 and see if the bug is gone. Unfortunately I cannot yet start anything BG related.

Thanks.

I don't think it's directly to do with that component itself, even though installing it causes it - I did a total folder compare between 33.4 and 33.5 to see what might be the culprit, and there were precious few files changed for the Smarter Mages component at all, and I investigated each one and the changes seemed to be what looked like only a few basic maintenance changes (outside of making it so conjurers can't cast divination spells and that the cult wizards in Ulgoth's Beard weren't overleveled). My hunch is that it's more likely to do with this listed change for 33.5: "Under the hood: many updates to SFO function library." It's just a hunch, since in practice, so many things can go wrong with even the smallest changes...but the SFO function stuff is all but impossible to analyze due to the amount of changes with those files, which is where I bowed out from attempting to fix it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
4 hours ago, pochesun said:

Thats a shit maintenance, if you ask me. Surely you did not ask, but if you had aksed, i would have said thats a shit one.

I'm sure he'll profusely apologize for continuing to make significant time in his already busy life to support a massive mod for games literally decades-old, literally fifteen years after the mod's initial release.

Wait...no, for some reason, I don't think he'll do that. Literally hundreds, maybe thousands of mod-makers over the last two decades in the BG community have simply disappeared without a word when they're no longer interested in or no longer have the time to continue working on their mods. Maybe get some perspective, pal.

(e): He replied to me again, but I refuse to contribute to this asinine exchange any further.

9Lzp4QG.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus
1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm sure he'll profusely apologize for continuing to make significant time in his already busy life to support a massive mod for games literally decades-old, literally fifteen years after the mod's initial release.

Wait...no, for some reason, I don't think he'll do that. Literally hundreds, maybe thousands of mod-makers over the last two decades in the BG community have simply disappeared without a word when they're no longer interested in or no longer have the time to continue working on their mods. Maybe get some perspective, pal.

I kinda have not seen that support for more than 3 months already, so..... nope. It would be more accurate to say "occasional support". Also, calling "support a mod" a version which is not working properly or the whole section of it is disfunctional - kinda meh. Though, i understand that coding involves a lot of attention, chore and drudgery, and human mistake as a possible factor is always there, and there is compatibility issue with other mods (which are being updated as the time goes) can create additional problems etc. So no big deal here. 

DawidW's possible life issues, his possible real life problems, possible health issues, possible realation issues etc etc are the perfect explanation why he does not pay more attention to the mod and from my perspective its also perfectly understandable (it may also be that he does not care about the mod at all anymore, and that would be also perfectly understandable). But all that does not cancel the fact the support is shitty. Producing latest version with non functional mage AI and not caring about that for more than 3 months - thats shitty. And waiting for more than 3 months for "fixed version" and not even knowing when it will be done or will it be done at all - thats pretty shitty FOR ME. I am getting those vibes: " please hold, our operator will be with you shortly...." Not a good service.

So my rate of this support is clear. I, personally, dont need any apologies from DawidW and dont expect them. I just want that AI issue being fixed asap, cuz its been long time since it has not been fixed. DawidW will probably read this and make any conclusions he wants, i only hope (mind this, not demand or ask) that he shows up more regularly. Its also clear for me that you, modders, should support each other, give each other pat on the back etc (like in any occupation of field of activity) , and its perfectly fine for me. But if some professional, ethical or moral principal or integrity wont let you criticize the work or activity of your counterpart, that does not mean those principals or integrity exist for me. So, i got some perspective. Maybe its not correct to say anymore that "DawidW supports the mod" when he does not.

1 hour ago, pochesun said:

3 months - thats shitty. And waiting for more than 3 months for "fixed version" and not even knowing when it will be done or will it be done at all - thats pretty shitty FOR ME. I am getting those vibes: " please hold, our operator will be with you shortly...." Not a good service.

Just use an earlier version of the mod lol... and three months is nothing compared to Beamdog not fixing bugs they caused years ago. 🙃