Weidu Installer Question

I am interested in trying to reduce the impact on my game folders, so I am wondering if it is safe to delete the mod folder and Weidu installers in my BG2 or BG folders, once the mods have been successfully installed.  Should everything be placed in the appropriate folders, or will the mod content be referencing the mod folders at any point?

10 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

.. will the mod content be referencing the mod folders at any point?

After installing everything and not wanting to uninstall/reinstall; never. So if you want to get rid of as much space as you can, you can delete the mod folders, setup-modname.exe's and .debug's .. and possible .tp2 files.

Deleting those files of course means you can't uninstall mods, but you can uninstall the game and then remove the game folder and so get a clean install by reinstall...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

With the number of mods I am playing with, I pretty much have to nuke it from orbit and start over with a clean install each time in my goal for a stable install.  Plus it makes it much easier and cleaner to share my modified folder contents with other people.

Thanks.

Personally I would just shunt them into a subfolder. If by chance you do want to reinstall something at the end of the order, or add something new (like a hotfix), you can copy the whole mess back to your game folder, do the extra little bit of Weidu, and then remove everything again. 

But yeah, the mod folders are not needed by the game. 

Just to note: this only applies globally. That is: once you've installed *all* of your mods, you can remove the folders. You can't safely remove the folders of the mods you've installed and then install other mods: for compatibility reasons, some mods look at each others' folders. 

4 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Personally I would just shunt them into a subfolder. If by chance you do want to reinstall something at the end of the order, or add something new (like a hotfix), you can copy the whole mess back to your game folder, do the extra little bit of Weidu, and then remove everything again. 

But yeah, the mod folders are not needed by the game. 

And this save none of the space.You know, the 2.5 GB's original game now takes ... 12 GB's, and more than half of that could be wasted space, just for biffing backups. That's of course in the non-EE game..

But yes,, DavidW is right... but usually one assumes such, for space saving measurement... that you look at the folders and wonder how you could save space at the end of the install... when you want to copy the files to your friend for example, as that's the intend ...

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

But HD space is dirt cheap these days -

Right... try that one on 5 year old computer and multiple off them. ... without additional funds. Yes, a USB stick might be dirt cheap, but you might need that to move the data around. Which is the mostlikely scenario here.