Pocket Play UI

I just tried out @pecca's Pocket-Play UI mod.  It looks amazing - like a totally modern game.  Without getting into whether that is necessarily a good or bad thing, it is anyway a real departure from the BG UI and most UI mods, and it looks clean and professional.  @Luke , I got v2.0 installed with Weidu, and then ran A7TextureConvert at the end if my install as usual, and the UI works and the game plays on my iPad Mini 2.

However.

It doesn't work well enough that I would actually play a whole game with this UI, and that's a shame.  Here are my findings:

1. The main problem is with the resolution.  The UI appears to be tailor-made for the iPhone resolution of 1134x750.  My iPad (and, I think almost every iPad apart from the new Pro models) have a resolution of 2048x1536, scaled down to an extra-sharp rendition of 1024x768.  The Pocket Play UI is therefore too big when the "scale UI" option is enabled in the BG2EE graphics settings - 155 pixels are off the left and right sides of the screen.  If I deselect "scale UI," then the iPad uses its native 2048x1536 resolution, and the Pocket Play UI is tiny.  It would be really nice if the UI could be made to support the 1024-pixel screen width... I don't know how easy it would be for Pecca to do that.

2. In my current install, the stat-rolling screen uses the vanilla BG2EE UI.  I think that is because I installed the "Faydark's Auto-Roller" from EEUITweaks after the Pocket Play UI.  This is not the end of the world - it is still totally functional.

3. The class choice screen also uses the vanilla UI instead of the Pocket Play UI.  I presume this is because I installed the "Dual into Kit" mod after the UI overhaul.  This again isn't a big deal, it is a screen you only ever see once during any particular playthrough.  Better compatibility would be wonderful, but I can totally deal with it as-is.

4. The proficiency screen is a little screwy.  I installed the EUITweaks "Show Proficiency Limits" component and the "Dual Into Kit" mod with the "Proper Proficiency Selection" option, both installed after the Pocket Play UI since they both patch UI.menu instead of replacing it.  The proficiency screen appears with the Pocket Play UI, and it initially shows the correct proficiency limits; but as soon as I spend a proficiency point, the displayed limits become wrong (either 5 or 10).  I'm not sure what, exactly, is the conflict here.

5. Tome & Blood's "Revised Identify" surprisingly works just fine.  @Bubb looks like your B3_Identify function is nicely adaptable!

6. Tome & Blood's "Multiclass Sorcerer" spell selection function works.  The only issue is, you cannot read any spell descriptions, you have to choose by icon.  That might be a bit problematic with stuff like my Feat System, where players won't necessarily know what each icon is.  This uses @kjeron's "Spell Learning UI" mod and uses the Spell Sequencer functionality... I know other UIs also make it difficult or impossible to read descriptions in these screens, and I never understand why...

7. Finally, at some places the UI slows down, like in the spell memorization screens in character generation.  The iPad Mini 2 hardware is ancient, so I think this is just due to the high quality of the UI's graphics.  And it is still totally functional, you just need to wait a few seconds to get to the next screen.  There is also a tiny delay - half a second or so - when going to the inventory screen.  Again, I suspect on moderately recent hardware this would go away.  It's not a big deal at all.

All in all, this is really, really promising.  I would really love to use this UI in the playthrough I'm about to start.  It just needs to support the 1024-pixel-wide iPad resolution, and it would be great if it made it easier to see spell descriptions in the Spell Sequencer screen.  Then it would be perfect.

If anyone wants to mention this to Pecca... :thumbsup:  And if Pecca could make this work for iPads... :king:

57 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I deselect "scale UI," then the iPad uses its native 2048x1536 resolution, and the Pocket Play UI is tiny.  It would be really nice if the UI could be made to support the 1024-pixel screen width... I don't know how easy it would be for Pecca to do that.

Why not full 4Kx2K ... that's 3840x2160 resolution for reference. How hard you ask... massively, unless one has a full 4Kx2K original assets, which you then could resize to make the smaller ones, as the reverse comes with horrible scaling problems.

Link to the original assets, so you just need to edit a few .bam's and .pvrz's. And make a scaled installer for every options...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

You miss the point. There are plenty of high-res UI mods. This one is designed specifically for mobile devices, which generally have lower resolutions. 

• iPad: 1024x768
  • iPhone 6-SE2: 1334x750
  • Typical Android, AFAIK: 1920x1080

Luke had asked over on the Beamdog thread about whether this would work with a tablet (iPad) as well as a phone.  I've investigated, and the answer is 'no' - and the reason is the failure to support a resolution 1024 pixels wide.  It's not a simple thing to support that; some of these UI elements scale, and others don't, as you can see if you toggle the "scale UI" option with this UI installed.  I believe a number of UI mod only support certain resolutions - or at least certain minimum resolutions - because limiting the  supported resolutions enables the modder to create a nice, curated experience.  The answer to Luke's request is, in order for this to support iPads, it would need some manual work done to certain UI elements... particularly the bottom-row buttons in the main UI, maybe some stuff in other screens as well.  (I haven't looked too hard at the other screens... I think the main UI screen is probably the biggest concern, since those bottom-row buttons are particularly curated in this mod, able to flip between what, in the vanilla UI, are the bottom-row and left-column buttons.)

Edited by subtledoctor

Two more points of very small constructive criticism:

1) I would switch around the "select whole party" button and the "switch UI buttons" button, on the bottom right.  The "switch UI buttons" button is an outlier, made solely for this UI, and without "normal" functionality; it makes sense for it  to be on its own at the far right side of the row.  That would also put the "select whole party" button next to the "draw a selection square" button, which makes sense to me.

2) Pressing the "party formation" button doesn't seem to do anything?  When I long-press it, it brings up a bunch of formations and I can choose one; but once I choose one and it is displayed in the button, a regular press of the button has no effect.  It is informative, but the behavior is not what you would expect from a button  (i.e. pressing it has no effect).  I would put the "change formation" functionality behind a regular touch, rather than a long-press.

9 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

2. In my current install, the stat-rolling screen uses the vanilla BG2EE UI.  I think that is because I installed the "Faydark's Auto-Roller" from EEUITweaks after the Pocket Play UI.  This is not the end of the world - it is still totally functional.

EEUITweaks does not detect Pocket Play UI so sadly this is kind of expected that some components use the wrong assets.

9 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

4. The proficiency screen is a little screwy.  I installed the EUITweaks "Show Proficiency Limits" component and the "Dual Into Kit" mod with the "Proper Proficiency Selection" option, both installed after the Pocket Play UI since they both patch UI.menu instead of replacing it.  The proficiency screen appears with the Pocket Play UI, and it initially shows the correct proficiency limits; but as soon as I spend a proficiency point, the displayed limits become wrong (either 5 or 10).  I'm not sure what, exactly, is the conflict here.

The same happens without Pocket Play UI. "Show Proficiency Limits" is not compatible with "Proper Proficiency Selection".

10 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I've investigated, and the answer is 'no' - and the reason is the failure to support a resolution 1024 pixels wide.

Correct.

I asked Pecca about this and he replied that this mod is specifically made for 16:9 resolution, that is natural for phones. He's not currently interested into making it compatible with tablets (maybe he'll change his mind if there's enough demand...? Who knows...)

So, I’ve been messing around with this for my IPad and pretty much got the main screen to an acceptable appearance (this is unscaled).  Really just made my portraits larger and fixed the dialog box.  The smaller sunscreens are fine.  Sure, they’d be better bigger, but it’s way sexier than the original. 

The only really drastic thing I changed (and for you vets, probably won’t need it) but the action and alt actions of the spell buttons.  A tap now shows the spell info while a hold memorizes.  Feel that that should have been the standard anyway.

21 hours ago, Guest Wolpak said:

So, I’ve been messing around with this for my IPad and pretty much got the main screen to an acceptable appearance (this is unscaled).  Really just made my portraits larger and fixed the dialog box.  The smaller sunscreens are fine.  Sure, they’d be better bigger, but it’s way sexier than the original. 

The only really drastic thing I changed (and for you vets, probably won’t need it) but the action and alt actions of the spell buttons.  A tap now shows the spell info while a hold memorizes.  Feel that that should have been the standard anyway.

That's great!

10 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Oooh, you’ve got set up for 1024x768? Care to share the files? I’d love to kick the tires. (Can PM if you don’t want to share publicly.)

Yeah, I'm equally interested as well. Could you please tell us the aspect ratio of your iPad?

Also, could you please share what you did exactly...? Maybe we can help @Pecca make the "tablet" version...

Edited by Luke
12 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Oooh, you’ve got set up for 1024x768? Care to share the files? I’d love to kick the tires. (Can PM if you don’t want to share publicly.)

Oh man, I’m sorry.  I should have read closer, I’m on a new iPad with 2048 res.

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

That’s fine - I have a new iPad Air with its funky new aspect ratio, but the game runs at 1024x768, or 2048x1536. All of the 2.5 patch versions of the iOS games (the current version) use the same resolution and aspect ratio. 

Mine too is 2048x1536 (9.7 inches).

The upcoming version (v2.6) should add support for your Air (guess it's the 4th gen – 2360x1640, 10.9 inches...?), the 11-inch Pro (2388x1668) and the 12.9-inch Pro (2732x2048)...

On a side note, I’ve been working on a spell duration mod that displays remaining rounds on positive buffs you cast on your party.  I add it here because I’m really hijacking his UI.menu to use it.

my question is, is it faux pas to add to Baldur.bcs.  I need to check spell states and I’m wondering if that will cause issues.  I’ll also add my UI.menu in a bit (. 

On a side note, how faux pas is it to add to Baldur.bcs.  I’ve been working on a buff duration display, and it works, but I gotta have the scripts checking non-stop.  I mention this here as I am hacking up his ui.menu, so, figured I’d also ask that.

Can I attach my ui.menu in the thread or do I have to upload it somewhere and link it