is 1pp still being worked on?

Guest guest

30 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

I'm wondering if there will ever be a new release. I don't care about the eta, more if the mod is feature complete currently or still has some flaws.

Well, one could bet things and be wrong about them eventually, but the mod was completedly entered into the Enhanced Edition of the game, so theoretically at least, it was feature complete. Just like the BG2Fixpack was... after which in the case of that mod, a further update was made to make the original BG2 to fit more to the EE version of the game.. well, kind of. Not that large things were moved.

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Wondering if there will be a new release. I don't care about eta, more about if the mod is feature complete or not.

@Gwendolyne was working on...a bugfix collection? I think? sometime ago (mid-2019?), but I don't think it was ever finished. The last version of 1pp had some non-critical bugs that can also now be found in the EEs (e.g. some projectile weapons using the wrong projectiles), and also a few weird choices like switching Albruin's and Daystar's icons for no apparent reason that probably should be reverted, among a few other things. I made some of my own fixes and updates for it, but they may not be for everyone (especially since I despise IWD icons in Baldur's Gate and forcibly disable the few that 1pp uses from being installed).

Edited by Bartimaeus
3 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Thanks Bartimaeus.
Any chance you could release an archive containing these fixes?

https://github.com/BartyMae/1pp_fixes/tree/master/1pp

They can be found there. They're simply fixed files that go into the normal 1pp install folder (...like everything else I do, :p). I think I had a list of fixes that I compiled somewhere around here, but I'm not exactly sure where...

Edited by Bartimaeus
10 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Thanks. Which components do you suggest from 1pp? 

* Restore BG1 paperdolls
* Restore BG1 inventory icons

and...?

On non-EE games, I actually use...every component? I think? These are what I usually include in my install:

~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #101 // 1ppv4: Core paperdolls: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #103 // 1ppv4: Extended palette entries -> Full install (recommended): v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #104 // 1ppv4: GUI additions for BGII: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #105 // 1ppv4: Avatar fixes: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #106 // 1ppv4: Female Dwarves -> Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves - Baldur's Gate II: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #111 // 1ppv4: Thieves Galore -> BGII - Unique Thief Avatars: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #114 // 1ppv4: Softer Spell Effects: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #200 // 1ppv4: Core content patches: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #201 // 1ppv4: Consistent spell and scroll icons: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #202 // 1ppv4: Spell tweaks: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #203 // 1ppv4: Restored flame sword animations: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #204 // 1ppv4: Colourable Quarterstaves: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #205 // 1ppv4: Legacy Shields: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #206 // 1ppv4: Additional Shield Animations (core): v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #207 // 1ppv4: Wizards' Staves (core): v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #208 // 1ppv4: Additional Helmet Animations (core): v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #209 // 1ppv4: Attachable wings (core): v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #210 // 1ppv4: Increased paperdoll object variety (core): v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #400 // 1ppv4: Core updates and item patches: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #401 // 1ppv4: Improved projectile effects: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #300 // 1ppv4: Fixed animations for solars and elementals: v4.1.0 BWP Fix
~1PP/1PP.TP2~ #0 #301 // 1ppv4: Miscellaneous content fixes: v4.1.0 BWP Fix

2 hours ago, Endarire said:

For 1PP, how important is this mod if I use EET?

Not at all, 1pp is not for EE games, because the EE games already have it 98-99% integrated, as the EE developers installed it straight onto their builds (and the last couple of percentage points was them deliberately deciding not to include a small list of things that weren't appropriate, like a handful of IWD icons). If you remember non-EE BG2 and how terrible many of the graphics looked (e.g. helmets, paperdolls, ToB weapon icons, inconsistent spell icons, etc.), almost all of that was fixed/improved by the EE devs installing the 1pp mod on top of their builds.

Edited by Bartimaeus
1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

@Bartimaeus but it's not always a perfect job. 

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36704/old-paperdolls

Thanks a lot for the insights.

Matter of opinion, I guess: the BG1 paperdolls aren't great by any means, but I find the BG2 ones quite hideous (including the ones listed in that thread). The neat thing about a non-EE game is that you have the option of choosing what you want if you happen to prefer the BG2 ones - no such option in the EEs.

Guest guest

@Bartimaeus

I was checking your spell revision topic and it seems you own both EE and classical edition judging by the post quoted here (Source: 

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Welp, guess I'll take a BG2EE install for a spin on the off-chance that something I'm unaware of is being applied to EE games that isn't to ToBEx.

I wonder: you still play with Classic even with the "benefits" of EE?

Here's a list that contains a summary of most of the fixes/changes that I applied that I found from a few years back (though not quite all, and I think I've made a few other changes since then that I did not list in this post):

Regarding the EEs: I don't like all the extra crap tacked on in them for starters, and every time I ever test stuff in them, I swear that the game somehow just feels a little bit clunkier than a ToBEx game does (and I am admittedly overly sensitive to input changes), and there are other weird changes like escape no longer exiting out of of bags or stores and maybe other particular screens that annoy the heck out of me, especially as someone that uses keyboard + controller (and not keyboard + mouse, so button shortcuts for everything is a must - I do not like having to drag my cursor across the screen every time I want to exit a store or bag, you wouldn't think it'd be a big deal but it gets awfully annoying when I'm more or less not deriving any benefit from using this version of the game to begin with). Pretty much everything about how Beamdog went about doing the EEs except regarding moddability annoyed the heck out of me - a slapdash amalgam of community fixes and subjective changes that were already available for the base games combined with a bunch of their own poorly written fanfiction NPCs when they realized they couldn't offer enough to justify the price tag (though the original BioWare NPCs aren't always bastions of great writing either, there are nevertheless intrinsically a part of the game - Beamdog NPCs made fifteen years after the game was released for cynical reasons, not so much). So, um, well, screw all of that.

On my part, the only thing I've ever purchased from Beamdog was the BG2EE soundtrack, which complemented my Shadows of Amn collector's edition soundtrack with its ToB tracks (as ToB never received a soundtrack before then).

Guest guest

I understand your point of view.

1) Do you play BG as separate entities or BGT?
2) Another thing: given that you released a sleek amount of fixes, any chance of actually publishing a single archive containing the original 1pp + your fixes, then putting it on SHS as a new version together with the changelog ? I'm pretty sure @jastey could help you.

1. BGT usually.

2. Most likely not - authorial intent and all that makes it a bit muddled, and you aren't the first to ask this. Some of the things I did are clearly fixes, some of them probably fixes, some of them maaaybe fixes, and some of them not fixes but changes. Whoever is responsible for maintaining it is more than welcome to use whatever they like out of the lot, but it is not a decision for me to make, and I'd ultimately still end up using my own set.