Question about COPY_EXISTING

I was working on one of my mods, and as I was checking my work using Near Infinity, I saw that none of the files I had modified using: COPY_EXISTING ~itemname.itm~ ~override~  are actually being copied to the override folder, they remain in the ITM folder.   If I do: COPY_EXISTING ~itemname.itm~ ~override/newname.itm~ it does copy the item over with the new name.

I'm just curious as to if this is the expected behaviour, or if I have run into some odd bug, or my syntax is incorrect.  

It's just a matter of how Near Infinity displays resources. (There's not actually any such thing as an 'itm' folder in the game, it's just a virtual folder Near Infinity creates.) If you check the actual override folder, you'll see the items have been copied over.

If you go to Options -> Show Override Files, you'll see a bunch of different options for display. My guess is that you have 'split between ?-?-? and override' selected. That means that existing files get shown in ITM/CRE/etc virtual folders and only new files get shown in Override. If you want the Override folder in NI to match the real override folder, select 'in override folder'. (My own preference is for the opposite: show everything in ITM/CRE/etc folders.) But in any case, it's just a Near Infinity issue: the actual game doesn't care.