Jarno confusions

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

it does a column count on mxbrdspl.2da and concludes that bards have spells up to level 8, and so it assumes that spell_level_to_caster_level("bard"  "8") ought to be set to something (the level at which bards get level 8 spells) but then when it goes through the file, it never actually discovers any such level, and so the variable remains unset. Then it chokes when it tries to use that variable.

That would be a good explanation, except that it's completely untrue, as you can see the 1's at and after level 29th. As quoted:

11 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

SET $level(8) = level < 29 ? 0 : level < 35 ? 1 : 2

Aka, if level is less than 29, set the value to zero, if it's above 28 and less than 35, set it to 1 ... is this really that hard to read ?  😮

Aka, just look at the printed file in the subtledoctors post. The thing is, the original game didn't have a 8th level spells for bards... but a RR moded ones have. Which is why I said the thing above ... now, I just wonder:

12 hours ago, DavidW said:

As usual, people should ignore Jarno, who hasn’t the faintest idea what he’s talking about in 90% of situations.

EDIT: so it can be referenced:

2DA  V1.0
     1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8
2    1    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
3    2    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
4    2    1    0    0    0    0    0    0
5    3    1    0    0    0    0    0    0
6    3    2    0    0    0    0    0    0
7    3    2    1    0    0    0    0    0
8    3    3    1    0    0    0    0    0
9    3    3    2    0    0    0    0    0
10   3    3    2    1    0    0    0    0
11   3    3    3    1    0    0    0    0
12   3    3    3    2    0    0    0    0
13   3    3    3    2    1    0    0    0
14   3    3    3    3    1    0    0    0
15   3    3    3    3    2    0    0    0
16   4    3    3    3    2    1    0    0
17   4    4    3    3    3    1    0    0
18   4    4    4    3    3    2    0    0
19   4    4    4    4    3    2    0    0
20   4    4    4    4    4    3    0    0
21   4    4    4    4    4    4    1    0
22   4    4    4    4    4    4    2    0
23   4    4    4    4    4    4    3    0
24   4    4    4    4    4    4    4    0
25   5    5    4    4    4    4    4    0
26   5    5    5    5    4    4    4    0
27   5    5    5    5    5    5    4    0
28   6    5    5    5    5    5    5    0
29   6    6    5    5    5    5    5    1

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

What I said:

OK, reproduced (and identified) on Caedwyr's copy of mxsplbrd.2da.

If you'd bothered to actually download the file in Caedwyr's post, and not just guessed at its content and accused others of lying or incompetence on that basis, you'd have seen that it does, indeed, have all zeroes in its last column.

3 hours ago, DavidW said:

What I said:

If you'd bothered to actually download the file in Caedwyr's post, and not just guessed at its content and accused others of lying or incompetence on that basis, you'd have seen that it does, indeed, have all zeroes in its last column.

There are a lot of very smart people in this world who have the general expertise and intuition to allow them to make stunningly accurate assumptions with very limited or virtually no information/evidence to base those assumptions on. However, those same very smart people would come across as total fools to everyone else if they, say, became completely full of themselves and started constantly making unwise or flat-out incorrect assumptions on situations where they do not have either the necessary expertise or the intuition to do it correctly (or at least correctly enough to provide value to others). Though people might start assuming such a person is stupid, it doesn't actually necessarily mean they are - but it does mean they'll continue to be thought to be until they wisen up and learn to stop constantly opening their mouths about things they don't know enough about. Knowing when you don't know enough to confidently speak about something, and keeping in mind that there's always more to learn from others are two very valuable skills.

This message, obviously, is not directed at you, DavidW.

That's fine.

Alright then, so you are saying that your code has a switch that assumes the zero will eventually be something else... and it fails in the case it's not. So you'll then next time try to make the function not fail if it comes with the same thing again.

Now, I'll just expect to be able to see the working code at some point...

Great.

1 hour ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

That's fine.

Alright then, so you are saying that your code has a switch that assumes the zero will eventually be something else... and it fails in the case it's not. So you'll then next time try to make the function not fail if it comes with the same thing again.

Now, I'll just expect to be able to see the working code at some point...

Great.

Correct. The “working code” is now live, in v33.3.

Incidentally, for third parties: note that

(i) Jarno makes rude and insulting claims on the basis of false information

(ii) it is pointed out to him that his claims are based on false information

(iii) there is no apology and no acknowledgement of error

This is why I advise people not to pay attention to him.

15 hours ago, DavidW said:

(iii) there is no apology and no acknowledgement of error

This is why I advise people not to pay attention to him.

Hah ha, you are funny, you are killing me man, well, trying. Figuratively at least*.

I must apologise, for my opponents naivety. For this being the internet age, and we being on the internet. Being it so, there are enough people here that you ought to apologise, if for nothing else then for having been born. And thus so, we ought to rethink the need. And I have said previously that there's no need to apologise, I don't expect it, and neither should you. Aka; grow up man/mam.

That being said: I haven't seen many requests to apology from you either in the SCS v33 threads, for bugs in it, so you might have already taken the less strenuous approach that I approve. Just saying.

16 hours ago, DavidW said:

(i) Jarno makes rude and insulting claims

That's your perspective... but here's another, you claim that the liches use the Improved Invisibility in the BG2, which they don't, like I showed you. Or at least I didn't see a case where they did. I also might be wrong, but I highly doubt that.

I don't know if that is rude... there's a language barrier there, that might come off as being rude, while it's not intended. Just the facts. Cause I might suspect that this entire thread is just to get back at me for that.

*being ignored is death in the internet, just in case you didn't know.

Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes...........

... you are completely wrong. SCS liches are casting Improved Invisibility like the crazy bastards they are on higher difficulty settings and I suspect on lower also. I can even post screens but imo no point really. Speaking more acurately: they have Imp.Invis. in sequencers and triggers, I am not sure they renew it by just casting the actual spell or by again sequencer or trigger.

also I have general observation. I observed, a long ago actually, that there is a tendency or whats the word? that if there is something wrong with their game, peeps will kinda automatically blame SCS. Dunno why or how but it kinda works like that: bam! crash or whatever = SCS!! fault!! I know it is, coz my feelings telling me, itz all about my feelz....

Maybe just because SCS is such a big mod?

3 hours ago, DavidW said:

I don't think that's an actual error, it's just SCS's version of WEIDU failing to read the name of the Rhynn Lanthorn component.

Where's the logic in this ? A non-error causing bad weidu.log entry. What ? And you don't call that an error ?

As the cause is a known, it's a non-forward compatible weidu.exe installing a mod component on top of a next versions weidu mod install.

So, you either should learn not to give advice that results into producing errors, or know what those errors will be and say; that they do it, and that it doesn't matter that it prodices this cause the result is expected and doesn't cause bad consequences, like in this case.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

@Jarno Mikkola: The concern raised by pochesun was that there was a compatibility problem between SCS and Restored Lanthorn. There isn’t - that’s what I mean by ‘not an error’. Pochesun’s install will be working fine.

There *is* a (rather edge-case) bug in Weidu v247 that stops it handling VERSION entries that use tra references, which v246 permits. But that doesn’t cause bugs in either mod (since Restored Lanthorn ships with WEIDU 246), nor compatibility problems between them. It will be fixed when WEIDU updates to v248 (it’s a bug in WEIDU itself, not in any mod); in the meantime I’ll probably also do an update of Restored Lanthorn to v247 when I get the chance, but it’s not really a priority.

49 minutes ago, DavidW said:

There *is* a (rather edge-case) bug in Weidu v247 that stops it handling VERSION entries that use tra references, which v246 permits.

Really ? Have you given any thought to it being probably because this is non intended to be used in WeiDU... as instead of using a previously installed mods .tra files flag for a mods VERSION xx, you could use a different variable and it would be fine. For example, read the weidu.log file and if that contains a said xx, use that as a trigger for the ACTION_IF ...

As the variables are meant to be cleansed between mod installs, there's no reason WeiDU should read any of the previous mods install info, when you could just reguire a marker files existance in their own mod folder or similar things and be ok with them.

49 minutes ago, DavidW said:

There isn’t - that’s what I mean by ‘not an error’. Pochesun’s install will be working fine.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it still make a sound ? You are splitting hairs man. An error is an error, even if it's inconsequential. No matter what you say. Yes, the installs fine. But that doesn't matter. 🙃 It's a feature. As in, it still features; an error. And there's nothing you can do.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
21 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Really ? Have you given any thought to it being probably because this is non intended to be used in WeiDU

No, it's intended. (Albeit a bit edge-case). If you check the PPG WEIDU forum you'll see Wisp noting that it does need to be fixed in v248. 

24 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

As the variables are meant to be cleansed between mod installs, there's no reason WeiDU should read any of the previous mods install info, when you could just reguire a marker files existance in their own mod folder or similar things and be ok with them.

That isn't true. WEIDU has to parse the tra files of previous mods in order to read the names of components.