What will 2.6's release likely mean for mod compatibility?

On 7/27/2020 at 7:49 AM, subtledoctor said:

Yeah - the bits are right next to the “fallen paladin” and “fallen ranger” bits, and I’m pretty sure you can change those via script. I have no doubt it could be done with GemRB, or Bubb could add it to EEex. But given that I play on iOS and you really can’t mess with the iOS executable (which is Apple’s fault, not Beamdog’s), I’ve always hoped for an official change. even if it is added to EEex, I highly doubt I’ll put the effort into making a mod that doesn’t work in my own game...

As you say, it would likely be pretty easy, but in ~eight years of asking, Beamdog has never seen fit to add it. 

It's been added to EEex

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1141278/#Comment_1141278

21 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

So it took ten minutes to add in GemRB, and a few days to add without even being able to see the source code via EEex. Hmm.

From my recon, it took 2 or so hours from my request, for Bubb to see it and then to the reply with a code that enables it. Yes, I made the request, see the username. As subtledoctor refused to, as he uses iOS and so would prefer Beamdog to do it in the base game, so it would work in his OS too.. which is a valid point.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
On 8/2/2020 at 5:17 AM, jastey said:

I still recall - faint as the memory is - someone saying some time ago that the EE aim not break compatibility of old mods and will be far easier to mod in general. As it turned out, compatibility got broken for mods adapted to EE from one patch to another, and this sounds as if it won't be any different this time.

they said the same thing about modules in nwn ee. and look at that modules broke with the December patch.