Icewind Dale - party reputation questions

pjakub88

Hello everyone,

i recently started my playthrough in Icewind Dale with Heart of Winter and Trials of Luremaster addon installed.

According to the game's manual there is a party reputation system implemented (just like in the BG1). I have few questions regarding it:

1) Where i could find info about my current party reputation?

2) Is there any way (except donation in temple) to increase reputation  (i.e. by completing certain quests like in BG1)?

3) Can the reputation goes down (i.e. by killing innocent NPC, etc)?

4) Does the reputation impacts the prices in shops (like in BG1)?

I apologize for soo many questions, that might seem stupid for experienced IWD players, but i didn't find answers for my questions in the official game manual.

EDIT:  I found a similar topic on the Spellhold Studios forum: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/20926-reputation-in-iwd1/ However, if someone wants to add something feel free to do it.

Edited by pjakub88

My memory is in shackes as I have played the game in multiple different forms from the original to IWD_in_BG2 and IWDEE, but here's what I would say:

1) Well, your save game has this stored in the characters. Aka you can use the Near Infinity to find the actual value.

2) No.

3) Yes. But usually killing an innocent also turns the whole town against you and you would likely be better off by loading a save game. This can be fixed by installing mod like Bardic reputation, which incliudes a NPC that can adjust your reputation towards the lower side of the spectrum.

4) ... it might. Start the game with an Evil character and go look what the most expensive armor in the start town is, and then start one with a goody two shoe and the cost should be 10-20% more expensive on the first than the second with the same charisma char (at least according to repmodst.2da & repstart.2da).

AD. 3 Just like killing chickens in Skyrim, lol. 

It seems, that the reputation system in BG1 is simpler than in IWD1. I mean you have all necessary info right there in the manual and the game itself.

Anyway, thanks @Jarno Mikkolafor additional info regarding reputation system in IWD1. 

Edited by pjakub88
On 9/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, Jarno Mikkola said:

My memory is in shackes as I have played the game in multiple different forms from the original to IWD_in_BG2 and IWDEE, but here's what I would say:

1) Well, your save game has this stored in the characters. Aka you can use the Near Infinity to find the actual value.

So, i opened my earliest IWD save (made just after game start) in Near Infinity (ICEWIND.GAM file) and the reputation value was 120. Does it mean 12 (without the 0)? 

I have only a paladin in my party (i started new game only for testing purposes).

Near Infinity.JPG

Edited by pjakub88
3 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

20, yes.

Thanks for the info!

Meanwhile i made a small experiment with Near Infinity. I changed my starting reputation (savegame edited) from 12 to 20 and checked the price difference in Pomab's shop. :)

I wonder only, how we could increase the party reputation, since i.e. temple in Eastheaven doesn't have the "donate to the temple" option? Does it matter, when i play only one character? Anyway, this seems a bit strange, because even in the official IWD manual they mentioned about the donating system in temples.

See the attached pictures below.

Donate.JPG

Eastheaven temple.jpg

Edited by pjakub88
4 hours ago, lynx said:

You can only decrease the reputation in this game ... if none of the other temples allow for donations. Through dialog, only Tybald can make it worse, so what remains is the usual bad behaviour.

So, why they even bothered with writing about this in IWD manual? Doesn't make any sense. Unless donating is possible in Enhanced Edition...

So far i only checked temples in Eastheaven and Kuldahar in IWD1 - no option for donate. I didn't check the Heart of Winter temple yet (still having low-level party).

Edited by pjakub88
1 hour ago, pjakub88 said:

Unless donating is possible in Enhanced Edition...

It appears IWD:EE lets you donate at temples:

Spoiler

donate.thumb.png.c3a0ac3b3d710f179869538798b75b31.png

However, IWD:EE only lets you boost your reputation to 8 using donations, so it's pretty much a moot mechanic unless you need to salvage your reputation in case you killed the wrong person.

2 hours ago, Bubb said:

It appears IWD:EE lets you donate at temples:

Reveal hidden contents

donate.thumb.png.c3a0ac3b3d710f179869538798b75b31.png

However, IWD:EE only lets you boost your reputation to 8 using donations, so it's pretty much a moot mechanic unless you need to salvage your reputation in case you killed the wrong person.

Oh sorry, now i remember, that you could donate gold in temples in IWD: EE. I just played IWD: EE some time ago and i simply forgot about that fact. However, i didn't know that temple donations in IWD: EE work in the way you described. You are right: strange gameplay mechanics to say the least. In BG1 the party reputation mechanics was made more clear for the player: you increased reputation points by completing certain quests, donating gold to the temple and decreased by killing innocent NPCs, Flaming Fist mercenaries, bad morale choices. The only drawback of that system in my opinion was the fixed maximum reputation value set to 20, which could be achieved rather quickly with installed quest mods (like Baldur's Gate Mini Quests and Encounters). 

Edited by pjakub88