Add THAC0 bonus to weapon but only if certain classes wield it?

MPurpl

Hey, thanks for the response.  I've tried using the 177 eff file to go with ids in the 200 range so THIEF_ALL, CLERIC_ALL etc.  I've tried also single class ids.  As far as I can tell I'm supposed to be using 0/2 for anyone/EA in eff file, tie it to a resource and then I'm good.  

Problem is then where am I making sure the to-hit bonus is restricted to only the class id I want.  Though I've never used the mod, rogue rebalancing does this to the Short Sword of Backstabbing - making it so that when a thief wields it it gains a THAC0 bonus on top of its +3 but non-thieves use it as just a +3.  That's essentially what I'm trying to do.   

Angel - I literally had the same setup and thank you.  I'm wondering then if where I went wrong was in my testing.  I didn't see any changes in my character sheet to indicate a to-hit bonus and when using the weapon with to-hit feedback dialogue I didn't notice any difference either.   So then how did you see that you didn't just have an eff setup with no actual change in-game?  It's entirely possible I'm just looking for the wrong thing or looking in the wrong spot for my proof. 

In classic BG2 it's a bit difficult to see, but you could equip a normal +2 bastard sword, note your thac0 with that, then equip this one and see what your thac0 is.  In EE, you can see how thac0 is calculated on the Combat Stats tab of your character page.  The extra +3 for paladins shows up as "Ability: -3" (remember, with thac0 lower is better).

The Short Sword of Backstabbing patch from RR works in exactly this same way.

Unfortunately no changes show on the character sheet with either my item or yours.  I tried your item on a cavalier.   I am using non-ee.  EasyTutu.  I tried turning on Extra Combat Info=1 in ini to try and get it to show but I saw nothing as far as I could tell.

Is something like this just a hidden modifier in classic bg/bg2?  Now I'm just curious heh. 

I'm not sure, I haven't meddled with the classic engine for quite some time.  I tested it on BG2EE, also with a Cavalier, and it works just fine there.  And if you check RR, you'll see that is exactly how it handles the Short Sword of Backstabbing.  The code is in rr/lib/rr#ssob.tph