Subrace mod

12 hours ago, Endarire said:

I like half-dragons, gnolls, and ogres as playable PC races, but I more prefer what I messaged you, @tipun.

Thankee!

I see. Now I'm going to take my half-gnolls for a walk, then I will answer.

What a cool mod, I was looking for something like that for ages.

I have a couple of improvement and add-ons suggestions:

Improvements suggestions:

1. Each listed race ability should start with dash. Currently, the descriptions scream "mod added".
  2. Even if you pick a subrace, the Character Generation screen does not reflect that (the race is still displayed without a subrace i.e Elf, Dwarf, etc). Not sure if this is possible to change, or it's hardcoded.
  3. In the Record tab (in game) the race is displayed, i.e as "Elf (Drow)" or "Dwarf (Gold Dwarf)". It would be visually more appealing to display only the subrace (if selected), like: Gold Dwarf, Wild Elf, Drow, Strongheart Halfling, etc.
  4. Aasimars and tieflings should really be separate races rather than Human subraces (unless this is hardcoded, and you cannot add new races). It would be perfect if you could create a new race called Planetouched and put Aasimars and Tieflings as subraces there.

Addon suggestions:

1. New elf subraces: Moon Elves, Sun Elves, Wood Elves, Aquatic Elves, Avariel
  2. New dwarf subraces: Shield Dwarves, Wild Dwarves, Arctic Dwarves, Urdunnir Dwarves
  3. New halfling subrace: Lightfoot Halfling
  4. New half-elf subraces: Half-drow, Half-aquatic elves
  5. New human subraces (this would be mostly fluff, no ability bonuses): Calishite, Chondathan, Damaran, Iluskan, Mulan, Rashemi, Tethyrian (those are the major human ethnic groups in Faerun)

Ok, I have made an attempt to update the descriptions and add some of the subraces I mentioned in my previous post. Feel free to use/implement whatever you like or tweak whatever you dislike.

SHIELD DWARVES: Shield dwarves, also known as mountain dwarves were among the most common of the dwarven peoples. Once the rulers of mighty kingdoms across Faerûn, the shield dwarves had since fallen by the wayside after centuries of warfare with their goblinoid enemies. Since then, shield dwarves were less commonly seen throughout Faerûn, though during the last decades the subrace, spurred on by the Thunder Blessing, began to retake an important role in local politics.

Shield dwarves have the following traits:

– +2 racial bonus to Saving Throws vs. Paralysis/Poison/Death, vs. Rod/Staff/Wand, and vs. Spell, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.

– Infravision.

– +10% Open Locks, +15% Find Traps, +5% Detect Illusion, +10% Set Traps.

– +1 Constitution, -1 Dexterity, -1 Charisma.

– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs (including half-orcs) and goblinoids (including goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears.

GOLD DWARVES: Gold dwarves, also known as hill dwarves are the aloof, confident and sometimes proud subrace of dwarves that predominantly came from the Great Rift. They are known to be particularly stalwart warriors and shrewd traders. Gold dwarves are often trained specifically to battle the horrendous aberrations that were known to come from the Underdark.

Gold dwarves have the following traits:

– +2 racial bonus to Saving Throws vs. Paralysis/Poison/Death, vs. Rod/Staff/Wand, and vs. Spell, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.

– Infravision.

– +10% Open Locks, +15% Find Traps, +5% Detect Illusion, +10% Set Traps.

– +1 Constitution, -2 Dexterity.

– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against aberrations.

GRAY DWARVES: Also known as duergar, the gray dwarves of the Forgotten Realms live even deeper underground than their shield dwarf and gold dwarf cousins. The duergar share little in common with other dwarves and practice slavery in their monstrous subterranean cities. Often motivated by greed and a thirst for power, gray dwarves are known throughout the Realms as devious, efficient warriors. Duergar almost always have gray hair and skin.

Gray dwarves (duergar) have the following traits:

– +4 racial bonus to Saving Throws vs. Paralysis/Poison/Death and vs. Rod/Staff/Wand, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.

– +3 racial bonus vs. Spell, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.

– Infravision.

– Light Sensitivity: -1 penalty to hit rolls, damage rolls and saving throws made in the daylight.

– Spell-like abilities: Invisibility once per day.

– +10% Open Locks, +30% Find Traps, +10% Detect Illusion, +10% Set Traps, +20% Move Silently

– +1 Constitution, -1 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.

– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against mind flayers.

– Duergar are more powerful than other races and gain 90% of overall experience.

MOON ELVES: Moon elves are the most common sort of elves in Faerûn. Also called silver elves, they have fair skin (sometimes tinged with blue) and hair of silver-white, black, or blue. (Humanlike colors are rare, but possible). Their eyes are blue or green, with gold flecks. They are the elven subrace most tolerant of humankind, and most half elves are descended from moon elves.

Moon elves have the following traits:

– 90% resistance against charm and sleep magics.

– Infravision.

– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with bows, short swords, and long swords.

– -5% Open Locks, +5% Pick Pockets, +5% Move Silently, +10% Hide in Shadows.

– +1 Dexterity, -1 Constitution.

SUN ELVES: Sun elves are less common across Faerûn than moon elves, because most live on Evermeet, where nonelves are not allowed. Also called gold elves, they have bronze skin, golden blond, copper, or black hair, and green or gold eyes. These are seen as the most civilized and haughty elves, preferring to remain separate from nonelven races.

Sun elves have the following traits:

– Infravision.

– +1 Intelligence, -1 Constitution.

WILD ELVES: The very rare wild elves are rarely seen by others, because they live in the heart of thick forests and they have incredible skill at keeping hidden. Also called green elves, their skin tends to be dark brown, and their hair ranges from black to light brown, lightening to silvery white with age.

Wild elves have the following traits:

– Infravision.

– +1 Dexterity, -1 Intelligence.

WOOD ELVES: Wood elves are reclusive, but less so than the almost feral wild elves. Also called copper elves, they have coppery skin tinged with green, and brown, green, or hazel eyes. Their hair is usually brown or black, with blond and coppery-red occasionally found.

Wood elves have the following traits:

– Infravision.

– +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity, -1 Intelligence, -1 Charisma.

STAR ELVES: The green depths of the Yuirwood hide an ancient secret long forgotten by folk beyond Aglarond’s borders, and not widely known even within—the star elves, an elven subrace that retreated from Faerûn to an extraplanar refuge known as Sildëyuir. Sometimes referred to in ancient texts as mithral elves, the star elves concealed the existence of their hidden kingdom for almost two thousand years, leaving behind nothing but mysterious ruins and old, strong magic in the stone circles of the Yuirwood.

Star elves have the following traits:

– Infravision.

– +1 Charisma, -1 Constitution.

DROW: Dark elves, also known as drow, are the subterranean cousins of moon elves. Their black skin and pale hair are a curse for their allegiance with the spider goddess, Lolth. Drow societies are usually ruled by cruel priestesses of Lolth and their noble houses. Dark elves are known for their arrogance, cruelty, and penchant for civil war.

Drow have the following traits:

– Magic Resistance: 20% (+1% per character level).

– +1 racial bonus to Saving Throws vs. Spell.

– Spell-like abilities: Faerie Fire three times per day.

– Infravision.

– Light Sensitivity: -1 penalty to hit rolls, damage rolls and saving throws made in the daylight.

– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with crossbows, short swords, and scimitars.

– +10% Pick Pockets, +15% Move Silently, +30% Hide in Shadows.

– +1 Dexterity, -1 Constitution, +1 Intelligence, +1 Charisma.

– Drow are more powerful than other races and gain 90% of overall experience.

LIGHTFOOT HALFLINGS: The most common type of halflings seen in the world, the lightfoots are the most likely to give in to their desire to wander. They are at home living side by side with folk of many different races and cultures. Lightfoot halflings are more likely to worship nonhalfling deities than any other halfling subrace.

Lightfoot halflings have the following traits:
– +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Paralysis/Poison/Death, vs. Rod/Staff/Wand, and vs. Spell, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.
– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with slings.
– +5% Open Locks, +5% Find Traps, +5% Pick Pockets, +10% Move Silently, +15% Hide in Shadows.
– +1 Dexterity, -1 Strength, -1 Wisdom.

GHOSTWISE HALFLINGS: Ghostwise halflings are the feral, reclusive cousins of lightfoot and strongheart halflings. They are found most often in the southern forests of the Realms living in small communities. Ghostwise halflings are rarely seen in large cities, but occasionally set out to explore the world for reasons known only to them. Visitors to ghostwise settlements often report that the halflings have kinship so tight with their fellows that they can communicate without speaking.

Ghostwise halflings have the following traits:
– +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Paralysis/Poison/Death and vs. Rod/Staff/Wand, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.

– +1 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Spell, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.
– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with slings and spears.
– +15% Find Traps, +20% Move Silently, +20% Hide in Shadows.

STRONGHEART HALFLINGS: While the lightfoot halflings value the experience of travel and the sight of new lands and peoples, the strongheart halflings are a more organized, orderly, and industrious race.  Strongheart halflings often surprise those more familiar with their wandering lightfoot cousins with their confident and readily competitive nature.

Strongheart halflings have the following traits:
– +2 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Paralysis/Poison/Death and vs. Rod/Staff/Wand, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.

– +1 bonus to Saving Throws vs. Spell, with additional bonuses based on Constitution.
– +1 racial bonus to attack rolls with slings.
– +10% Open Locks, +10% Find Traps, +10% Pick Pockets, +15% Move Silently, +20% Hide in Shadows.

AASIMAR: Aasimar carry the blood of a celestial, the begotten offspring from the union of a mortal and a deity. Aasimar are usually good-aligned and fight against evil in the world. They typically have fair skin, golden eyes, and often a birthmark in the shape of the deity's holy symbol. Aasimar are blessed with insight and personal magnetism and are typically paladins.

Aasimars have the following traits:

– Acid, cold and electrical resistance: 10.

– Infravision.

– Spell-like abilities: Sunscorch once per day.

– +1 Wisdom, +1 Charisma.

– +10% Find Traps, +5% Detect Illusions.

– Aasimars are slightly more powerful than other races and gain 95% of overall experience.

TIEFLINGS: The infernal counterpart to aasimar, tieflings are humans with a hint of the diabolical in their bloodline. Though their appearance is mostly human, they often have telltale signs that belie their ancestry. Tieflings usually have dusky skin and dark or reddish hair. Though many sport small horns, cat eyes, or other bizarre features, most tieflings try to hide their abnormalities from humans.

Tieflings have the following traits:

– Fire, cold and electrical resistance: 10.

– Infravision.

– Spell-like abilities: Blindness once per day.

– +10% Move Silently, +10% Hide in Shadows.

– +1 Intelligence, +1 Dexterity.

– Tieflings are slightly more powerful than other races and gain 95% of overall experience.

Edited by Cahir

From what I've heard, new race entries on the character creation screen are only possible with engine extensions.  There are many triggers in the base game and in mods which depend on the character's race.  Thus, if some NPC likes to romance humans, they'll romance any human subraces the same way.  (Icewind Dale II treats Aasimar and Tieflings as human subraces.)

Officially, what is the plural for "Aasimar?"  I thought "Aasimar" meant singular and plural, like sheep or moose.

Edited by Endarire
1 hour ago, Endarire said:

From what I've heard, new race entries on the character creation screen are only possible with engine extensions.  There are many triggers in the base game and in mods which depend on the character's race.  Thus, if some NPC likes to romance humans, they'll romance any human subraces the same way.  (Icewind Dale II treats Aasimar and Tieflings as human subraces.)

If there are engine limitations, that's fine by me, to leave both Aasimar and Tieflings as a human subrace.

I've fixed the plural Aasimar, you're right, I suppose.

Edited by Cahir

@Cahir

Thank you for your feedback.

Improvements suggestions:
1. I didn't really understand this sentence. English is not my native language.
2. As far as I remember, on the character creation screen, the text is generated automatically. Therefore, it is unlikely.
3. It can be done. But I will have to write more code during installation.
4. I know about aasimars and tieflings (I took from IWD2, there they are subraces of people). But new races with a choice when creating a character cannot be added. Therefore, Planetouched can only be created as a subrace.

Addon suggestions:
I'm going to add new subraces, but a little later. Now, unfortunately, I don't have time.

Link in the first post of this thread. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to do modding at the moment. But there were extra messages when applying effects that appeared in version 2.6. I will try to deal with them. And I will try to add new subraces as soon as possible.

Wow this looks awesome - I didn't read all 6 pages (sorry) - will this work with LeUI (Lefreut UI)?

I assume like other UI additions (M&G Feats) I would install after LeUI is installed.

Does this work with Scales of Balance?  That mod adjusts racial bonuses/penalties to some degree - curious how they stack up.