Water not showing right

temnix

After I edited an area slightly, redrawing it in one place, and converted the PNG into a TIS, water there stopped being displayed correctly. This is what it looks like now. I didn't change the water layer or touch anything else. Does anybody know why this happens? This problem has come up before once, in a scene with a waterfall, which I had to make motionless in the end.

Baldr008.jpg

There is a difference between the overlay sections of the Vanilla and the Enhanced Edition tilesets. Switching between these two game engines using the same tis-file thus leads to graphical glitches similar to those shown above. When converting Vanilla-tis-files -> EE, you should use @argent77's tool tis2ovl:

https://github.com/InfinityTools/tis2ovl/releases/tag/1.0

If you are using only the Enhanced Edition, this should not be an issue, but your overlay tiles of the area might be missing. The additional water graphic tiles are added at the very bottom of each tileset.

Before you edit the area-graphics in GIMP or Photoshop, make shure you always export the whole tileset including its additional overlay tiles, redraw the parts in your exported png and then convert your image back to tis using NI.

If you use DLTCEP, there is another way in adding additional graphics without screwing up its overlay parts, but it is quite tricky. Yovaneth mentioned it in his "Overlay" section of his area-editing tutorial:

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/dltcep/index.htm

13 hours ago, Acifer said:

If you use DLTCEP, there is another way in adding additional graphics without screwing up its overlay parts, but it is quite tricky. Yovaneth mentioned it in his "Overlay" section of his area-editing tutorial:

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/dltcep/index.htm

I have always adding overlays like this, and it has always worked fine. The only drawback is to convert them afterwards to tis v2 for EE games. ;)

Why would overlay files be missing? I'm not touching the water tileset or the reference to it in the WED file. I'm simply exporting the main image to PNG, redrawing it, putting it back with Near Infinity, in PVRZ mode, which avoids lines between tiles, all for the Enhanced Edition from start to finish. If this straightforward process somehow screws up water, I'm not going to bother with water areas. Luckily there is another way to make a visual appear in an area.