How do I install mods on a Mac?

Guest bestcoast504

Guest bestcoast504

Need some help installing mods. I have BG:EE and BGII:EE, both of which run through Steam. I decided to start with the NPC Project (https://www.gibberlings3.net/files/file/908-bg1-npc-project/) and followed the directions included with it. They read

If the mod was previously installed, uninstall it before extracting the new version. The BG1NPC Project is packaged and installed with WeiDU. To install, extract the mod archive, then copy the contents of the folder "OSX-bg1npc-v24" into your game folder (the folder which contains the CHITIN.KEY file). If properly extracted, you should have a "bg1npc" folder, setup-bg1npc, and setup-bg1npc.command in your game folder. To install, simply double-click setup-bg1npc.command and follow the instructions on screen.

Unfortunately, I can't find "the CHITIN.KEY file" and am unsure where to put the contents of the folder. Any help greatly appreciated! I've been playing Baldur's Gate for years but this is my first time trying out the mods. Any recommendations on what mods to use also greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Welcome!

You may be able to locate the game folder by right-clicking the game in Steam, selecting "Properties...", then clicking the "Local Files" tab and hitting the "Browse..." button.  That should open up the folder where the game is installed.

I don't use macOS, so that's the extent of my knowledge.

I know @subtledoctor uses a Mac and would encourage you to use his launcher for installing mods on Macs (MWL).  You can install mods without it, but it may provide an easier experience.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:37 PM, Guest bestcoast504 said:

Unfortunately, I can't find "the CHITIN.KEY file" and am unsure where to put the contents of the folder. Any help greatly appreciated! I've been playing Baldur's Gate for years but this is my first time trying out the mods. Any recommendations on what mods to use also greatly appreciated! Thank you.

The game folders are fairly hidden by Steam.  You have to open a Finder window, the click the "Go" menu at the top of the screen, then hold down the option key, and select "Library." From there open Application Support/Steam/Steamapps/Common. Here, finally, you will see the game folders for BGEE/BG2EE/etc. At this point I highly recommend right-clicking the game folder and creating an alias to it, and moving the alias onto your desktop or documents folder or somewhere else convenient.

Once you have easy access to the game folder, drop the Mac Weidu Launcher into it, and the contents of downloaded mod .zip files. (Not the .zip files themselves - first unzip them in your downloads folders, then move their contents into your game folder. The contents will generally be a file called "[something].tp2" and a folder called "[something]." Those are the two important pieces you need to move into your game folder.)

After that, simply double-click the Mac Weidu Launcher and follow the instructions. Do this once for each mod... should be pretty self-explanatory.

Guest Ruannon
On 24.01.2021 at 19:10, subtledoctor said:

After that, simply double-click the Mac Weidu Launcher and follow the instructions. Do this once for each mod... should be pretty self-explanatory.

Okay, and the game itself, when turned on, somehow notify that mods are installed? Or not?

I did everything according to the instructions, but the game was silent. Maybe I'm doing something wrong😓