Sword Coast Stratagems for Original Baldur's Gate 1

Guest Myrrh

Hello! I much appreciate this community and all your hard work.

I'm playing BG1 Original, but I'm struggling with the poor AI. From what I understand, SCS used to be compatible with the original, non-enhanced BG1. Is that version still available? I can't find it anywhere online.

7 hours ago, Guest Myrrh said:

I'm playing BG1 Original, but I'm struggling with the poor AI. From what I understand, SCS used to be compatible with the original, non-enhanced BG1.

It NEVER was.

It was originally, and still is, compatible with the BG1Tutu version of the BG1, aka it uses the BG2 engine, but the adventure is the BG1 one. The BGT-weidu is an other option for both adventures in the same game... they both use the BG2 ruleset, and so one and blah blah blah... and you need both games to bring the BG1 adventure to the BG2 game. There's differences as well...

I would remember that DavidW said this is due to the fact that the old BG1 was so impossible to code for, that the SCS would not ever be do-able on it. 

Ask for more if you are still intrested, and want to ask for more info.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
45 minutes ago, Guest Myrrh said:

To press my luck, if you'll suffer me one more question --- Is there a stand-alone equivalent of the "better calls for help" SCS component that is compatible with Old BG1?

I have not heard of one, but it should be easy to make such, with a combination of Shout, Heard and Help... if my memory works, DavidW said that the problem to make SCS to work on BG1 is that there's no way to know what the creature is effected by, as you can't detect stats or effects except a very few specific ones, like poisoned. Not even your own casted effects. Which is the bases of all the coding in SCS ... or so I assume.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:00 AM, Guest Myrrh said:

I'll try to figure out how to improve the scripts. Might be a fun project.

They're not at the level of SCS but you can review ysSeries: Yovaneth's Original Saga (BG1) Character Co-operation Scripts. The most comprehensive attempt to script party AI for classic BG1.

For fun, you could assign the appropriate scripts to creatures, and see how it works to play against them.

Edited by Azazello