"Invalid" text on items and dialogue options

I just started playing IWD:EE and installed some mods that were listed as compatible/recommended.

I have noticed items that show up as "Invalid" so I cannot see its stats or anything other than its icon (screenshot attached). Upon meeting one of the custom companions and speaking with him all his dialogue options showed up as "invalid" and I couldn't interact with him as I didn't know what options to pick. 

I used the recommended install order

1) story mods
2) NPC mods
3) item mods
4) kit mods
5) BG2Tweaks
6) other tweak/overhaul mods

I installed https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/79347/the-new-light-collective-thread-for-lavas-and-aionzs-mods/p1 the story mods from here as well as the companion and item mods.

Then I installed the tweaks from this website and picked only some of the basic options that didn't change the game much.

This is all that I installed and I am wondering if anyone knows what causes this problem, and if I need to do a clean install of the game and start over?  Will I still be able to continue with my current save file?

Invalid.jpg

Language.

As in, what language did you have the game set on when you first of all started it ? Yes, you need to start the game to set the default language. And then install the mods on the same language. Then you have to set the Weidu language, this consists of the WeiDu.conf -file.

Here's the English one's content:

lang_dir = en_US

... and then the mod language.

Tweaks ?

26 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

Then I installed the tweaks...

None of those has the word "tweak" in them.

9 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

This did not fix the item in game.  Do I need to start a new game from scratch in order for this to take effect?

You installed the mods to a wrong language already, so you need to restart from a clean game. The reason it's not set correctly is that you did not start the game at all before you tried to install a mod. The reason I know this is that the game default to non English language, and the weidu.conf just takes the default. Which is likely German for coding purpose or something like that.

11 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

The file is named "cdtweaks-v9" I got it from this website.

That's not in the first post of the thread. Which is why I said that none of them contained the word "tweak". You might want to direct to more particular point/post next time... as it's not the same thing. As it' goes to /p1, aka page one of the thread...

Or in the thread at all, it's in this one.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

OK so clean install

-Start the game (do I have to start a new game or just start the game to the main menu?)

-Exit the game and change the WeiDu.conf file to en_US

-Install all mods in English

Will my saved game still exist or do I have to start all over?

Just now, Hockey85 said:

OK so clean install

-Start the game (do I have to start a new game or just start the game to the main menu?)

Well, you should see the game language selection at some point, after which you can exit.

And language selection won't remove your save game data, but you should just in case start a new game, because the dialog file was changed. So they exist, but they will likely cause problems if used.

Thank you for the help.

So I installed the game fresh and started it up.  Set the language to English, but there is no weidu file in the game directory?

I'm so confused..... is there a guide on this somehwere?  I spent hours looking through mods and never saw any directions about configuring a Weidu file.....

Can you give me an idiot explanation on the proper order of setting up my game?

Edited by Hockey85
9 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

Thank you for the help.

So I installed the game fresh and started it up.  Set the language to English, but there is no weidu file in the game directory?

The weidu is not an official tool associated with the game, so there's no weidu.conf before you run a setup-mondname.exe within the game folder. Aa it's made automatically. The setup-modname.exe is just a renamed weidu.exe that takes instructions from an associated text file, the association comes from that text file being called (setup-)modname.tp2... you might be looking things too carefully now...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Ok so when I install a mod it asks me which language to install the mod as the first question.  You type "0" to run the mod in English.

1.  So I install ALL my mods on a clean install of IWD.

2. After all my mods are installed THEN AFTER I change the weidu file to english?

Then Im good to go?

8 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

Ok so when I install a mod it asks me which language to install the mod as the first question.  You type "0" to run the mod in English.

After that portion, you can Exit, you don't have to install anything. You do this with Q, or serious of N replies to install stuff. You then open the weidu.conf file and look that it says what you want it to say... this is English:

lang_dir = en_US

But like I stated before, you are now nitpicking things that you don't usually have to bother with.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

So I go to any mods installation.  Set the language as English. Cancel installing the actual mod. THEN go to the weidu file and set it to English.  THEN go back and install the mod?

Im so confused now I dont know how to do this.  Is there a guide that gives you a step by step process on how to do all these crazy installation steps?

Edited by Hockey85
16 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

So I go to any mods installation. Set the language as English.... THEN go to the weidu file and set it to English.  THEN go back and install the mod?

Why would you need to ?

Hmm, thinking about this, where did you install the game into ? Did you actually start the game and exit it. And; What Operation System do you use ? Cause if the answer is that you use the C drive and Windows 10... then you need to install the game into the Windows user profile files, aka here:

C:\Users\<windows user name>\<games or similar>\IWDEE\

This is likely because Windows 10... being the perfect little ... ball, that is Win10, loose 100. And, yes, Windows 8, 7 and Vista have these problems too ... all the way to XP.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola