"Invalid" text on items and dialogue options

4 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

The game is installed on steam

Yeah, but you don't HAVE to use Steam to run it. So install it elsewhere, or it doesn't work with the mods. There's no Steamworkshops for these mods, so that should tell you that they are not fully intergrated, aka they would work as is.

17 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

Is there a guide for all this?

Google:

Steam Quietly Adds the Ability to Move Game Install Folders
  1. Find the game you want to move in your Games library.
  2. Right-click it and select Properties.
  3. Click the Local Files tab.
  4. Click Move Install Folder.
  5. Choose a new location where you'd like to store your game.

Also... steam library folder.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

1. Install the game to a folder you have write-and-rewrite permissions in your operation system.

2. Run the game.

3. Install mods. Aka, extract the self extracting achive, and wait for instructions. If nothing happens, run the setup-modname.exe... and follow the instructions. Install next mod.

4. Play the game ...

That's your 4 step guide.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I think you may be confused that you have to set the language after installing all mod. It is actually no such step after mods installation.

Just run the fresh game once, ensure that it is in English language, then start installing your mods, normally the mod will ask you what is the language of your game first, just select English during installation, and you should have no text error later.

Edited by marcnivar
1 hour ago, marcnivar said:

I think you may be confused that you have to set the language after installing all mod. It is actually no such step after mods installation.

Just run the fresh game once, ensure that it is in English language, then start installing your mods, normally the mod will ask you what is the language of your game first, just select English during installation, and you should have no text error later.

Thing is, if you don't have rewrite permission on the folder you try to install mods into, the language can't be reset during the game run, aka the no matter what you set it to, it won't be that in the next run, no matter what you do... this is because you don't have the right to overwrite the existing files info, but the "new" file you make is moved into the here:

C:\Users\<windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\<rest of the install folder>\IWDEE\

... and the game can't find it, because it wasn't programmed to find it from there.

Well, there's a way as an admin to assign a folder to a profile if my memory is correct in Windows 7, and thus allow rewrite permissions, but I have no online instructions to follow how to do that.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Guest Truth

Listen very carefully, ignore everything that Jarno suggests in every topic because you don't get any valuable info from him. Never. 

Your issue is only a language issue. Normally, the first time you install mods, you are going to get asked which language you plan to play the game on. Either the check didn't happen to you, or you selected the wrong language.

So, what you gotta do now?

1) Uninstall the game.
2) Remove everything related to IWD from your documents
3) Install once again IWD.
4) So, install the game, and start installing mods. When you click on the first .exe of the first mod, see if you are getting asked which language you plan to play the game on (it should happen all the times). If it doesn't happen, check the WeiDu.conf file and set it to EN_US
5) Then install all the mods without issue.
6) Good play.

Guest Truth

I remade the instructions to be extra sure you understand what you gotta do: 

1) Uninstall the game.
2) Remove everything related to IWD from your documents
3) Install once again IWD.
4) Start installing mods. When you click on the first .exe of the first mod, see if you are getting asked which language you plan to play the game on (it should happen all the times*). If it doesn't happen, check the WeiDu.conf file and set it to EN_US
5) Then install all the mods without issue.
6) Good play.

*  that's a true statement, but you are getting asked which language you plan to play the game in only the first time you install the first mod.

I rephrase: every time you install the first mod, no matter which mod you're going to install, it will always ask you which language you plan to play the game on.
All the following mods you will install won't ask that, because they just refer to what you selected on the first mod.

I rephrase once again: The first mod you install ask which language you're going to use. All the other mods refer to what you selected on the first mod and won't ask the question ever again.

Good play

18 minutes ago, Guest Truth said:

I rephrase once again: The first mod you install ask which language you're going to use. All the other mods refer to what you selected on the first mod and won't ask the question ever again.

Also, it might be not obvious, but if you actually read the text in that question, the 0 in that context is not English, but Czeck.

kuva.png.7c290bbb123f01294a3367e515a9931d.png

Hmm, nothing new ?

25 minutes ago, Guest Truth said:

... When you click on the first .exe of the first mod, see if you are getting asked which language you plan to play the game on (it should happen all the times). If it doesn't happen, check the WeiDu.conf file and set it to EN_US

This is a feature in at least the WeiDU version 24700. Earlier WeiDU.exe, set it automatically by looking this from the games own files. Well, eaven earlier they didn't have a WeiDu.conf at all...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I had to start a new game, but I haven't gotten to the point in the game yet where I was finding "Invalid" items. 

Out of all the mods that I have, every single Installation.exe has English set to "0"..... except one.  This is the first mod that I would install in my order so I'm guessing that I accidentally set that mod to Czech and (if I am understanding this correctly) that created a weidu file that was set to Czech, so all my other installs were set to English and this caused conflicts in the in game text. 

As far as what others have said, ever single mod that I install asks me for the language first, not just the first one that is run. 

I think I understand what is happening now, so hopefully I wont encounter any more issues. 

Edited by Hockey85
12 minutes ago, Hockey85 said:

As far as what others have said, ever single mod that I install asks me for the language first, not just the first one that is run.

Reading this I am not sure you really understood the difference between game language and mod language.

The game language the mods are installed to will only be asked by the the first mod and then be stored in the weidu.conf file. "0" here is indeed not English, so if you play the game in English later all mod added texts will give invalids.

The second choice is the mod's language. This of course every mod asks and executes individually. The mod's language version will be installed to the chosen game language version and it doesn't matter whether these are different languages.

Ok Thanks for the explanation, so if I accidentally set things to Czech on the first mod I installed, how come most of the in game things were not "Invalid"?

This is because the default game is set to English, but mods were set to Czech and I just didn't notice anything as invalid because I hadn't yet seen an item or a conversation that was added by a mod yet. 

Just an info since I don't want to reread the whole thread: after deinstalling all mods, the game language mods are installed to can easily be reset by just deleting the weidu.conf file in the game folder (and chosing the wanted game language upon the next mod install).