SubtleMods: 5E Spellcasting Rules Conversion

Hi,

May ask  for a clarification? Mostly to check if I interpreted what I see correctly.

Are spell supposed to be refreshed on sleep for casters that, like Brandock, can be outside the group sometimes?

He (I think) like grey the dog, he can follow you as additional (non-)party member. You're supposed to have him join for inventory access and level ups though.

But then I think rest doesn't replenish his spells, and I think it may be because he's not in the party at the moment... Would that make sense?

I have no real idea how these “7th party members” work. Spell refreshing works by checking whether your fatigue has bern brought to zero by resting. It’s possible the engine only resets fatigue for the six party members? :undecided: 

For that matter, I think the vanilla spell refresh mechanic relies on resting as well, so I don’t know how these characters would refresh their spells when they use normal casting mechanics…

Actually, it seems it's not that incompatible.

He seems to get his spells renewed. But you *need* to let him stay in your party long enough for the scripts to take effect.

I used a trick, pausing the game after letting him replace somebody else, doing whatever I needed to his inventory and spells and then when the one I had kicked out asked for confirmation, telling them to stay.

But you really need Brandock to stay just long enough...

Who made the Brandock mod? It would probably be pretty easy to make this work better. I assume there is some scripted spell that happens to refresh his spells with the normal casting system... well, I have a spell that refreshes casting when fatigue is zero with the 5E system. If I knew the name of that Brandock casting-refresh spell, I could just piggyback my spell onto it. Easy-peasy. Probably.

(However, when getting new spells from levelling up, or when you want to change his memorized spells, you would need to bring him into the party, because that would require access to the spellbook interface.)

Non-joinable creatures with spells have a set selection of spells memorized, and cast them in the vanilla fashion. (This includes player summons like dryads and celestials.) Charming or otherwise controlling these creatures lets you cast their memorized spells in the vanilla, non-5E fashion. 

5E spellcasters cannot use Contingency or Spell Sequencer spells. This is due to how they are hard-coded to work. As a workaround, you can install the 'Revised Metamagic' mod component in the Tome & Blood mod - use option #5, it is the only one that works with this system. Conveniently, that also improves the way those spells function.

In the current version of TnB there are only four options for Revised Metamagic. Which is the right one for 5E Spellcasting compatibility?

1 hour ago, Quester said:
  •  

In the current version of TnB there are only four options for Revised Metamagic. Which is the right one for 5E Spellcasting compatibility?

Choose whichever you prefer from options 1-4 (or none, to keep sequencers as spells). Multiclass Sorcerers, the Arcanist kit, 5E Spellcasting, and possibly also MnG Revised Bards will now automatically convert sequencers for use with those spellcasting systems (choose from known spells instead of memorized spells, and no cost to create sequencers).

I need to remove that warning from the Readme, it all works together better now.

EDIT - as of v1.9 the current Readme correctly states:

5E spellcasters cannot use traditional Contingency or Spell Sequencer spells. This is due to how they are hard-coded to work. To address this, the mod will modify these spells, allowing you to choose from any known spells, instead of any memorized spells. A side-effect of this is that they will not longer exhaust memorized spells (for any casters of any type) when this is done.

Make sure you've got the latest version of the mod!

EDIT 2 - ah I see, the first page of this thread was no updated. I've changed it now.

Edited by subtledoctor