SubtleMods: 5E Spellcasting Rules Conversion

2 hours ago, kaiiak said:

got error during installation :

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [d5zrfsh.spl] not found in KEY file:
        [./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Change All Casters to 5E System], rolling back to previous state

Any idea what im doing wrong @subtledoctor?

Guest sack4ra

I have a bug where each time i quicksave, some spells will be cast. This is not an issue where a button is assigned to quicksave and casting some spüell ebcause i alsready tried switching the key.

My game version is 2.6.6 the mod version is 1.1.

This is too bad because I always hated the spellcastiung system and think the slot based stuff is much better.

I can't understand how that makes any sense. This mod is not capable of causing spells to be cast upon quicksaving. The only possibilities I can think of are

1. Notwithstanding your attempts to alter your hotkeys, you still have some things hotkeyed to the letter 'Q'
  2. There is some kind of crazy bug in the 2.6.6 patch that causes spells to be cast upon quicksaving?
  3. You have party AI on and some script is causing spells to be cast.

Question regarding the armor changes for spell suppression. Being trying to sus out how it works on an IWDEE game, i usually modify a few armors to allow spellcasting. Curious how it accounts for armors that naturally are supposed to allow spellcasting (like elven chain mail of the hand) and other armors? Should an armor like elfchan.itm still have the effects i see on it if it's supposed to allow arcane spell casting (see screenshot)? If i wanted to make it so another armor could allow spellcasting, how i would modify those effects if this is working as intended (i.e. elfchan.itm should have these effects even though it allows arcane spellcasting) or is this is a mistake on this itm and to adjust it and any other items i just remove the d5 stuff?

let me know! I really appreciate this mod.

Screenshot 2021-12-07 134951.png

On 12/7/2021 at 2:52 PM, rkocour said:

Question regarding the armor changes for spell suppression. Being trying to sus out how it works on an IWDEE game, i usually modify a few armors to allow spellcasting.

The mod looks for opcode 145 effects on armors, which is the effect that suppresses wizard spellcasting. If an armor possess such effects, they will be replaced by new ones that work with this spellcasting system. So if you strip out an armor's op145 effects before installing this, then it will pick up on that and the armor will behave as you desire.

If you want to change an armor to allow casting after installing this mod, then yes I'm pretty sure deleting all those effects will do it. Basically, delete any op177 or op146 effects whose resource field begins with "d5z"

Excuse me Mr Subtledoctor,

I'm using this mod at the moment on a modded run and everything's running smoothly and it's fun however I'm slightly dissatisifed with the actual number of spells per day that you can cast, not the number of slots you get, but how many you can cast of each level in a day. I've been digging around the files with Nearinfinity and it seems like you use a well, I'm not going to try and explain the system you're using but well, I can't find where you're specifying exactly how many spells you can cast per day. I understand mxsplwiz.2da controls the number of slots, but not how many of each spell level you can cast per day.

Is there an easy way to increase that number? Getting only 2 level 9 spells on my enchanter at level 19 felt a bit crummy, I'd prefer a bit more. Thanks!

Hi @subtledoctor

I have a strange issue with the 5e mod.

With a new character (or a character just after a reload), when I click the spells button to show all spells and hover on a spell icon, I'll have a tooltip that state the name of the spell (like "F1: magic missiles"). Very handy, I'm usually not able to recognize spells from the icon.

But after a couple second, I guess the time the script that initializes the 5e system, right after the "spells" icons disables/reenables, if i click on it and hover a spell icon, I now don't have a useable tooltip anymore, only "F1: " without the spell name.

That happens on bg1 ee 2.6.6 on linux, with only DLCmerger and 5E_spellcasting installed (components 100 and 900), with a mage

EDIT: same with a cleric

Edited by mickabouille
4 hours ago, mickabouille said:

if i click on it and hover a spell icon, I now don't have a useable tooltip anymore, only "F1: " without the spell name.

So, here's how this works: you have a bunch of innate abilities under your "cast spell" button; and each innate ability uses opcode 146 or 148 to cast the real spell. This way you ultimately cast the actual spell you want to cast; wizard spells will still attract the Cowled Wizards in Athkatla, casting Restoration will cure the girls afflicted by the skin-dancer's condition, etc. That is good. The reason innate abilities are involves is because the manipulation of those abilities is what lets me simulate sorcerer-style casting slots.

Now the question is, at a technical level, do I name the innate abilities to match the name of the underlying spell? If so, then hovering your mouse over the button will show you what spell it is:

"F4: Fireball"

However, if the innate ability has a name, then when you cast Fireball it will cast both the innate ability and the real wizard spell, and both will appear in the combat log:

Charname: Fireball

Charname: Fireball

That can be annoying. I can't remove the name from the actual wizard spell, because that would screw over any Vancian casters as well as actual sorcerers, and you also need that when you are preparing spells. Now, I play and mostly test on an iPad, and it doesn't even have a mouse pointer for mouseover text. So I fixed the problem I observed (doubled cast spell messages in the combat log). Now you have called my attention to a problem with this, since most people play with a mouse.

So I guess we have to pick our poison: which is better, a clean combat log but incomplete mouseover text, or helpful mouseover text but a cluttered combat log?

I see, I guess we all care about different things, I wouldn't care much about having duplicated entries in the logs, but you don't have a use for tooltips (my tablet have some kind of hover events when I use a pencil by the way, though I couldn't test it as I don't have the mobile game myself).

In doubt, in the "scratch you own itch" logic , it's probably better that the mod fit the use cases of its maintainer.

But now I have to find a way to identify my own spells :D  (and no, learning to recognize them by memory will probably no happen, at least not in this century :p ).

EDIT: but I'll look at the code, if the needed change is obvious I can just change it myself before instaling. If it's not 🤷‍♂️

Edited by mickabouille