Framed: Alternate Chapter 6 for BGEE and EET

The Framed mod provides 2 different versions of Chapter 6 and makes going to Candlekeep a possible side quest not involving the Iron Throne.  If Candlekeep is visited before the Iron Throne Building is investigated, Eltan will have a different task for the group to be done in Chapter 6.  To experience the new version, a work order will need to be obtained from Bentley (Friendly Arm Inn) or Scar (initial meeting only and only if PC admits to clearing the Nashkel mines) during Chapter 5.

Current release can be found here: Framed v1.12

Change log:

Spoiler
  • v1.0 - initial release
  • v1.1 - brought CRE DV changes up to standard
  • v1.1.1 - just corrects comments and the forum and download links inside the ini file. No code changes.
  • v1.1.2 - corrected the read-me and synced the version number.  No code changes.
  • v1.2 - corrections to the Keeper of the Portal's and Arkansis placement as well as a journal correction with cross-mod content (Camryn and Tamah).
  • v1.3 - moved Tamoko to outside of Iron Throne bldg for alternate ch6, FF can no longer follow out of IT HQ, fixed Eltan dialogue leading to altCh6, matched journal entries to existing ones, new chapter starts now make appropriate save games
  • v1.4 - improved chapter saves so reloading is smoother
  • v1.5 - smooths transitions to alternate chapters 6 and 7, took out Tamoko changes and now allow FF to follow the group out of IT HQ again. Has been tested with BGEE 2.6
  • v1.5.1 - updated the history in the read-me.  No code changes.
  • v1.6 - includes new narrations for chapters 6 and 7 built using Real-Time-Voice-Cloning and Audacity
  • v1.7 - Tethtoril will give the PC Gorion's scroll if they haven't retrieved it by the time the quest ends, but only if BG1NPC was installed before Framed
  • v1.8 - includes cross-mod compatibility with Transitions and Sarevok's diary changes in case Cythandria has a clean-up quest
  • v1.8.1 - includes LableType in the ini file for installing with Project Infinity
  • v1.9 - includes includes a fix for the quest wrap dialogue with Tethtoril when the Gatewarden isn't present
  • v1.9.1 - updated ini file that points to the new download location
  • v1.10 - fixed incompatibility with Unfinished Business mod and placed Scar's giving of work order at the end of his dialogue at the bridge
  • v1.11 - tightened up the dialogues in the underground caverns
  • v1.12 - includes the French translation provided by JohnBob

Edited by Lauriel

@Lauriel the mod patches DVs to cre files. Please have a look here at the community list for cre-file patching, unify the ones that are already used elsewhere and report new ones to be put on the list. The preferred naming sceme is using the Tutu/BGT/EET/BG:EE file names for DVs, unless it's a character with a unique name in both BG1 (SoD), and BGII. Cheers!

In my Brandock NPC mod (released beta 6), I use ~POGHM9~ for POGHM9.CRE.

Amazing idea! In addition to making the mod, bravo also for thinking differently about the game in the first place.

I peeked inside the .D file and (spoilers so as not to ruin anything for anyone who downloads the mod):

Spoiler

THEN REPLY "I'd prefer you alerted Tethoril and the Gatewarden to the danger"

1000% Yes! Because, let's be honest, it's utterly ridiculous that this doesn't happen in vanilla Chapter 6, isn't it?

In my view, Chapter 6 manages simultaneously to be both very good and very bad, and it's great to see that you appear to have fixed one of the issues that makes it very bad. I have a few more things to say but, out of respect for your mod, I'll do so on my own thread :)

11 minutes ago, The_Baffled_King said:

it's great to see that you appear to have fixed one of the issues that makes it very bad.

Thank you!  For me, the motivation to go was ... I'm not very diplomatic ... it was dumb!  What outcome did Duke Eltan expect when he sent mercenaries to Candlekeep with no written authorization, no back up? They were just going to hand over the incriminating documents? We were supposed to pickpocket them (which there are none to pickpocket, I tried)? The guards were just going to lock up high ranking merchants on the word of a mercenary?  It was just inane, to me.

10 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

Thank you!  For me, the motivation to go was ... I'm not very diplomatic ... it was dumb!  What outcome did Duke Eltan expect when he sent mercenaries to Candlekeep with no written authorization, no back up? They were just going to hand over the incriminating documents? We were supposed to pickpocket them (which there are none to pickpocket, I tried)? The guards were just going to lock up high ranking merchants on the word of a mercenary?  It was just inane, to me. [Emphasis added]

Once again, 1000% this! And, focusing specifically on the bit I've emphasised, this is what gets me when people say or think that one has to be careful about modifying the plot because one might introduce inconsistencies: in places, the plot is already inconsistent and dumb as hell! Far from being an area where one must tread carefully so as not to ruin a masterpiece, making the main plot more flexible actually also provides an opportunity to fix the plot.

If the ridiculousness of parts of the plot is something that gets to you, take a look at my *ahem* re-imagining of Scar's conversation with Gorion's Ward (second page, third post, in the spoilers at the bottom of the post). It's written for laughs and to hang a lampshade over all the plot-related inconsistencies...

Obviously I am not suggesting that the plot is bad overall; were that the case, I wouldn't be here posting about Baldur's Gate in the first place.

1 hour ago, The_Baffled_King said:

f the ridiculousness of parts of the plot is something that gets to you, take a look at my *ahem* re-imagining of Scar's conversation with Gorion's Ward (second page, third post, in the spoilers at the bottom of the post). It's written for laughs and to hang a lampshade over all the plot-related inconsistencies...

You could write a series of tweaks (I'd be delighted to include them in my Themed Tweaks mod if you didn't want to publish your own mod) that fixes a lot of the stuff you were talking about.  I could have put this mod into it, but I have a lot more I want to add to Themed Tweaks and it'll be a while before I'm ready for version 2 and wanted to get this out right away.  I may still bring it into Themed Tweaks. 🤷‍♀️

6 hours ago, jastey said:

@Lauriel the mod patches DVs to cre files. Please have a look here at the community list for cre-file patching, unify the ones that are already used elsewhere and report new ones to be put on the list. The preferred naming sceme is using the Tutu/BGT/EET/BG:EE file names for DVs, unless it's a character with a unique name in both BG1 (SoD), and BGII. Cheers!

In my Brandock NPC mod (released beta 6), I use ~POGHM9~ for POGHM9.CRE.

Changes made for version 1.1.  Please let me know if I missed one. :)

1 hour ago, Lauriel said:

You could write a series of tweaks (I'd be delighted to include them in my Themed Tweaks mod if you didn't want to publish your own mod) that fixes a lot of the stuff you were talking about.

That is very kind of you, and I'll have to think about it. But please feel free to send any further replies to my thread, or to a message, so that this thread is (rightfully) used to discuss the work that you've done on Chapter 6 :)

Edited by The_Baffled_King
Just now, Morgoth said:

Thanks for this mod. I'll try it in my next playthrough!

By the way, I was checking your githhub and turns out you seem to be working on a lot of stuff. Have you still plans to release the imoen mods? Especially "a father's love". Mmmm.... I'm really interested.

Yes, I am.  I'm working on Transitions v2 right now and finishing the BG1 changes I have planned for Themed_Tweaks (almost there).  Then I'll work on SoD stuff, then BG2, so it will be a while before A Father's Love is available, but unless something unforeseen and awful happens, I'll absolutely get to it. The Imoen tweaks will be in shortly.  I'd say no more than a month.

4 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

The Imoen tweaks will be in shortly.

@MorgothHuh, I don't know what I was thinking.  They're available now though I will be revisiting them in V2.  You can find them here.  I still have them in beta but I've fully tested them.  Unless you're talking about Garroen (the relationship between Garrick and Imoen).  It's going to take a bit for the full release since it'll go all the way through ToB.  I'll be working on SoD shortly and will put up a beta version of Garroen when that content is finished.